What Makes Reprolabels Okay?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by philipjreed, Sep 11, 2012.

1. philipjreed

philipjreed Well-Known Member

NOTE: I am a fan of Reprolabels' work and have bought sticker sets a few times. I also recommend their stickers to anyone who wants nice, high quality stickers.

On a few spots around the web I have noticed an unusual situation in which someone will bash third party toys and get angry that these toys exist. Okay, understandable since some of these items really blur the lines.

What's odd, though, is that I also see times when the same people who bash third party manufacturers also praise Reprolabels. And I find this confusing, since Reprolabels arguably crosses some of the same lines and, in some instances, goes farther past the line than some other third party manufacturers. Autobot and Decepticon symbols, for example, are used on sticker sheets that upgrade third party manufacturers' toys.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Selective memory, really. Morality falls by the wayside when money and want/entitlement enter the picture. I personally don't have a problem with it. It's not my responsibility to protect Hasbro's IP (that's the job of their legal department). I just want my TF toys (no matter who makes them) while HasTak just wants my money. The relationship begins and ends there; no more, no less. HasTak is a corporation, not my friend.

3. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Strictly speaking, yes. Reprolables steals Hasbro's I.P.

In practice however, you can't use Reprolables without a toy robot to apply them to, so you'll need to buy one of those.

Hasbro does not sell sticker sheets, so Reprolables is causing them no financial harm there. Hasbro does sell toy robots, so if anything Reprolables gives them a bit of a boost there.

Technically criminal. Practically harmless or beneficial.

4. philipjreed

Reprolabels also creates labels for third party robots. But I do see what you're saying.

5. Timesynch

News Credits:
    Agreed. If HasTak was to offer their own line of sticker sheets, I'm sure the situation would be different (with Reprolabels receiving cease-and-desist orders from HasTak's lawyers). But since there is no competition involving similar products, I suppose HasTak just looks the other way or even tolerates RL.

6. darthsutius

darthsutius Minor Sith Lord

News Credits:
    Exactly. Hasbro still gets a sale on Generations Wheeljack and Tracks and doesn't even need to worry about investing too much money into a decent paintjob. Win/Win for them. :D 

7. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You could also use stickers on other things, don't have to be toys. Faction symbols in particular, of course. There are a lot of other transforming toys out there as well, like Road Bots, that could suddenly become an autobot or decepticon :D 
    I don't think reprolabels is any more legal than certain 3rd party transformers, but I'm glad they exist. They sure helped my KO alternators :thumb 

8. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Reprolables made my Top Spin look like the way he was meant to be. He is just covered in color now.

9. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    First hasbro is not in the sticker making market. Second, I think repolables revive interest in older figures cuz you can revive them with repolables.

Myself, I am only anti KO's of existing toys. As for 3P, if not for them I don't think we'd be seeing the 2013 we will see with an increase in MP ands encore releases.

10. Timesynch

News Credits:
    Synergy at its best. 3Ps would not exist without HasTak. Similarly, HasTak would not be ramping up its MP line releases without 3Ps giving them a swift kick where it hurts, their wallets. Reprolabels falls into a gray area but it's really win-win for all involved with them.

11. philipjreed

If this ever happens I hope Hasbro asks Reprolabels for help. My Universe Insecticons stickers never did work well; the instant they were applied to the toys the stickers started pealing off. Cheap stickers.

I've never had a problem with the Reprolabels quality.

12. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I don't really criticize third party toys, KO toys, or reproduction stickers so it's hard for me to think like those who critisize one over the other. I guess as some have suggested, as long as the toy itself is official maybe some people are more forgiving about the stickers being unofficial.

I'd rather have originals if possible but I'll settle for 3rd party, KO, reprolabels, etc. My KO Minerva with reprolabels stickers is as close as I'm ever going to get to owning that character.

13. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Reprolabels more or less get kicked out of BotCon a few years back?

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Im completely speaking in rumor, and can't back this up with any evidence, but I think I remember hearing stories about HasTak working with Reprolabels in relation to the stickers on some reissued figures, so that might also explain why they're willing to look the other way, along with the fact their products support Hasbro merchandise, rather than compete with it.

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^this, and if it weren't for them, a lot of g1 toys that are perfectly fine minus the stickerwear wouldn't be good enough to have in many people's collections

16. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I too remember this. The figure in question was the Stepper/Ricochet reissue. I tried looking for evidence online, but couldn't find any.

As others have said, I think the service Reprolabels provides can only help Has/Tak's interests. If you're looking for a vintage figure, in the past you may have given up, not being able to find one with decent stickers. Your interest in finding the figure would diminish, and perhaps your interest in the toys would diminish too. With Reprolabels, you can buy a figure with crappy stickers, get the repros, and have an almost full experience of getting the figure when it was new, as you have to sticker it yourself(after cleaning the old stickers off, of course). Your interest in the brand is retained. Reprolabels sells a set and makes a few dollars. It's really a win-win situation for Has/Tak and Reprolabels.

I know from experience that you CAN tell the difference between legitimate original stickers and Reprolabels. Reprolabels often have a more grainy feel to them than originals, and on some sets you can see the print lines(I'm thinking of G1 Omega Supreme here).

17. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's the same reason why alot of people who may not approve of full figures are ok with 3rd party add-on kits. They add-on to an existing Hasbro/Takara figure just like reprolabels does.

18. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Completely agree with Timesynch.

19. philipjreed

If true then that's great. Thanks for the word; I hadn't read that one anywhere.

20. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Deltastar has said they have permission from hasbro to do certain things, and there are certain things hasbro will not let them do. So I don't see what the problem is here.