What makes it a MP?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lt. Faceless, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

When you look at MP Prime,Megatron,Grimlock and the Seekers.Then look at Leader Movie Prime or Starscream.I would think those would be more MP than the first lot.More parts,more complicated,just more advanced in toy design.Is it the metal?Price?Size? If they can shrik a MP Prime to the size of classics,is it a MP or just a really nice toy?

So what makes a MP a MP?

2. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    for me.. a masterpiece is defined as being as cartoon or movie accurate as possible

so i would say movie leader prime and starscream are masterpieces.

also wit mps, they incorporate those gimmicks like in the shows and movies. for example with mp prime how hes got the little communication screens, or megs with kremzeek.
    just those little things to help recreate a scene or point out a certain episode

3. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MPs are all about complexity in engineering and accuracy. Really, the only movie figures I'd consider MPs are RotF Prime and Starscream. All the others don't really do enough to cut it, no matter what box they're put in. I kind of feel a MP has to really push the boundaries of what is possible in toy design. Every time I've gotten one, with maybe the exception of Grimlock, there's been a wow moment when I first transformed them. Even if the toy hasn't been great, they've all done something I've never seen done on a transformer.

4. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought some people already considered Leader Starscream masterpiece level.

5. Lt. Faceless

Where would you place Alts in this? I find MPs to be easier to transform than some of those.

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I see MP as a subline, not a classifcation... and Leader Starscream -was- released in said subline

7. bmbloo

bmbloo Well-Known Member

I've wondered this too. What is the official meaning for the different size classes? Do you have to be a Hasbro employee to know? Considering they plaster those bizarre class names on every toy, and they went out of their way to change the system recently, it would be helpful as a consumer to know what it all means.

8. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Masterpiece for me used to mean a large G1 cartoon accurate high end transformable collectible. I think it applies perfectly to Prime, Grimlock & Rodimus and as close as it can to Megatron given how 'meh' the bot mode ended up being. Not so much the Seekers though since the bot modes are SO funkified that I just consider them overly expensive jet Alternators more than Masterpieces.

9. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    For me, "Masterpiece" is not about the generation or the characters particularly, and all about the engineering, the finish and the thought that's gone into the transformations. ROTF leader Buster Prime & Starscream were certainly close to MP level, but not quite, in my mind - they lacked articulation here & there, and Buster Prime especially had too much back and forearm kibble.

That said, both are damn good toys, and I'm quite happy with my MPM-1 Starscream, far and away the highlight of the Movie toys to date. I certainly don't froth at the mouth like some did, when Takara classed them "Masterpiece"; it's more of a marketing thing than anything, so it hardly matters. Similarly, I don't universally love the MP line - personally I disliked Megatron's design, and found Grimlock a little simplistic, so hey.

I'm hoping the "rebooted" MPs up the engineering and complexity; Alternity wasn't perfect by any means, but showcased some great engineering & articulation at a much smaller size - so I'm really looking forward to how far the designers push the new MPs.

10. Lycanthropic Tendencies

Lycanthropic Tendencies Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, the purpose of MP Prime was to use engineering to create the definitive version of the character from that era.
    Starscream started the same way as we saw from the proto, but they decided to give Kawamori free reign as he's popular with many mech geeks and he said he saw it as a continuation of the approach he used on THS 02.
    After that it went right back to the definitve version of an era's character, which both the movie MP's represent too, and the new MP Prime uses the latest tech in the same attempt, so I'd say that, with the exception of THS Seeker and repaint Magnus, that remains the deciding factor of what makes a Masterpiece a Masterpiece.

11. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

For me a MP is a G1 character made to it's best. Also a damn big price point.

12. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

When i think MP i think incredible engineering. This does not mean it has to be a difficult transformation. MP Prime is very complex in terms of engineering but i have never found the transformation to be a challenge. I also expect screen accuracy. Not 100% accurate but high. I also want articulation. MP also means gimmicks that are interesting and add to the toy without ruining the toy. Grimlock's dino mode tail neck gimmick pushes it but does not impact robot mode really. The last thing is expect from MP is expensive.

13. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Whenever Hasbro and/or TakaraTomy print it on the packaging.

14. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

sorry double post.

15. seali_me

in both alt and bot modes

plus loads of articulation, details and accessories that help define that character. i'm still iffy about leader class movie toys.

16. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

One could also consider TH02 Hybrid Style Prime a Masterpiece. I call it my micro-Masterpiece Prime. :) 

It's robot mode is pretty cartoon accurate, it's got one hell of a lot of detailing, and it's transformation is complex. It's major downfall however is how silly it look's in truck mode. I wish they would revise it like they did with MP10 and give the truck mode what it deserves.

17. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

If I have to shell out more than $50.00 for it,then to me it's a Masterpiece.

18. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    I'd like to echo that I love my MP-M01 Starscream as well. Definitely one of my favorite Transformers figures, even with the lack of wrist swivels (a bit of customization and Fakebusker's Shapeways hands can fix that, however). The paint apps are very nice; perhaps not $100+ nice for most, but to me personally, he is.

MP-M02 Bumblebee, not so sure. He came with a lot of bells and whistles, sure, but the wonky scale bugged me (he's too effen big, as are MP Prime and Megatron). I'm surprised ROTF Leader/Buster Prime wasn't released as MP-M03 Prime, though Buster Prime does come close to that quality by most accounts.

The main issue of the line has always been scale to me; the wonkiness of the figure sizes bugged the crap out of me and a lot of other fans, I'm sure. If Takara-Tomy started off with a standardized scale for all the MP figures, that would have been gone a lot further in making them fit in together better display-wise. Now that MP-09 and MP-10 have set the bar for the new standardized scale, I guess I got my wish (better late than never).

Other than that, Masterpiece is, in the end, just a marketing ploy, really. But generally speaking, they're supposed to represent the pinnacle, the definitive, version of a character, be it G1 or from the Bayverse movies. And they're meant to offer complex and satisfying transformation engineering, paint apps, and gimmicks to go along with the high end collector's prices they fetch.

In this respect, the MP line does a good job at this. There is, of course, always room for improvement (hip kibble skirts anyone?).

19. Lt. Faceless

I like everyones take on the MP question.I don't consider MP Grimlock to be an MP,he is to small(thats why he hangs with my classics)and his transformation is the same as the G1 toy. As complex as some of the movie toys are,they arn't far from being a MP.

When MP Prime first came out,he was THE Prime to have.Compared to the toys out now,he is a little outdated(as far as complexity,number of parts and overall look of it).

20. seali_me

yup. although i'm happy with grimmy i wish it was bigger. i have hasbro grimmy displayed with classics for now.