Customs: What makes black appear?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Treadshot A1, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Just been redoing the windows on my Universe Ironhide, and I noticed that some paint was chipping off on some vertices, leaving behind black. Thankfully, he's damaged anyways, so this is good for him. However, on some of my other customs this is happening as well, which is slightly less welcome.

This seems to happen to customs painted with silver, then a clear colour on top of that, regardless of whether the part itself was black to begin with. In Ironhide's case, there was no black whatsoever near the parts in question.

So now i'm wondering, 1) Anyone else had this happen?, 2) How can i deliberately make it happen when i want it to (coz sometimes it's useful)?, and 3) How do i stop it?

I should probably mention i'm using Mr. Hobby's Metallic silver and transclucent paints, both acrylic.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    sounds to me like it's the metal flakes goofing up on you. I've only seen it happen when the metal paint wasn't truly cured when spraying non-acrylic clear-coat onto it.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

But...I haven't clear coated Ironhide. Yet.