What makes a Grail?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Mar 13, 2012.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Just that. What makes a grail, a grail? Is it, the unavailability? Time? Want? or just distrubution/varients?

Recently I had received my grail Megabolt Megatron, and I was pretty happy because, it was Old/Exclusive/want. Because, it was awesome!

Though, lately the term "grail" Is getting looser...and looser... to the point where, I see people even consider FE crap in the Grail category. Is it right?

What is your defenition of Grail?

2. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Veteran

News Credits:
    I was actually think of making this thread a couple days ago! :lol 

To me it's just a figure you've been after for a long time, that's been out of retail for a few years, or a figure you had when you were a kid and since required back again. It's really an open ended question in my opinion.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Unavailability. Like the original Grail, it should have mythic proportions and take considerable effort to track down and attain, possibly taking years. For a toy to be a true Grail, there has to be at least part of you that honestly believes you will never actually get it, although you will keep striving for it anyway.

4. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Veteran

News Credits:
    This pretty much explains it.

5. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    It's Personal Wealth.
    Positive Memories tied into said figure.
    Also optionally, Rare and/or expensive.

That's basically what makes a Grail Charlie Brown.

6. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's got to be holy. Otherwise, it's just a KO.

7. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    To me it means to finally find something after a long time of hunting. Like with ROTF Skystalker for me. I went to three states and countless stores and never once found it. Then I went twenty miles east of my location and finally found one, got it, and after that never saw another one.

So even though that figure might just be a basic transformer, the victory of owning it still makes it great. I know there are some that never did get one.

8. snoopcow

snoopcow Yaranaika?

having the blood(energon) of a revered robot like optimus prime in them.. the kup runneth over!

9. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    A grail is something that is your #1 collecting want of all time. Something that you've been wanting for awhile and it is the centerpiece of your entire collection.

It doesn't matter how old it is, but I think part of it is that it is harder / more expensive to find than your average figure.

FE Bulkhead can be a grail to someone who loves Prime and is slowly saving to spend the $100 or so on one, the same way Fortress Maximus can be someone else's grail. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

tl;dr I think of a grail as a long term goal and something that makes a collection complete.

10. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    to me MP Grimlock is my grail item, its the toy i always wanted but never thought they would make

11. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Desire x Availability(Lack thereof) + Money Dollars = Grail.

My most recent Grail was Micron Legend Shockwave. I love Tidal Wave and I'd always wanted the Takara release for what I feel, are better colors. At the time I started looking (this is last spring, mind you) ...there were none to be found on any online store I knew of, on ebay, or here in the Junkion.

After plumbing the depths of google and finding a shop based in Australia that appeared to still have him in stock, a couple showed up on ebay and I soon secured one for more than I wanted, but still within what I was willing to spend. Happiness ensued.

Right now, I'd really like to get my hands on a BWII Gigastorm.

12. mirarage

mirarage Agent of Primus

News Credits:
    A large epic quest for the nearly unobtainable.
    Remember to enjoy the journey.

13. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is to you what ever you want it to be. For me, its my fort Max. I had him as a kid, and held onto him for a long time actually, but traded it away bc it was in such poor shape. After a couple more years, I had a much better one only missing just a couple pieces. I was, and still am, so very proud to have it in my collection. My next one would be my G1 Ultra Magnus, who I got from my father while I was hospitalized when I was small. Those 2 are my grails

14. snoopcow

snoopcow Yaranaika?

takara is gonna reissue fort max, due to the insane ebay prices... they wanna piece of that lucrative pie..

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A) That doesn't matter to me bc mine is vintage, and B) It's only possible they are going to reissue it. So either way, my point stands, :tongue: .

16. Tim Vader

Tim Vader Well-Known Member

To me a grail is an obtainable item that you want more than any high dollar popular figure. I personally don't care about a Fortress Maximus, but I would pick one up for the right price naturally. My "Grail" would be a mint MISB G1 pre-rub Skywarp or Mirage because they were my 2 favorite transformers as a kid. I would love a very high grade example of each to keep as a trophy to remind me of a time where my biggest concern was the guy in the lunch line 15 kids in front of me looking in my cubby in the lunchroom!

17. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    but but there are already so many threads on this topic..

here:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/332186-holy-grail-what-you-17.html

here:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/468858-transformers-grail-list-3.html

and finally ...here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/95691-your-holy-grail-transformers-9.html

Oh what the feck, I'll just list the grails I'm after here again:
    Blackzarak
    Battle Gaia
    Brave Maximus and Guard City.

18. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Not really what the OP asked for...definition doesn't mean want.

-----

For me a Holy grail is something that is priced, most times, out of my range and/or not something that is easily found.

An example for me is GNAW. Finding a complete one in good condition was hard but they were available. I was even gunning for a HQ KO. However I found the pricing of over 100 dollars for a unpopular figure that shelf warmed back in the day a bit too much. I held out and luckily they released the HQ KO again and I got it for , what I feel is a relatively reasonable price, 50 dollars boxed.

19. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I'd say this is about as close as an explination as one can get. I don't believe you can have more than 'one' grail, at least in a given collection.

With Transformers my Grail was the Diaclone Blue Bluestreak. I wanted that damn thing since '84. Because that's how he looked on the box, the collection booklet, and instructions..... and it's his name for gods sakes. It drove me nuts at age 12. I kept looking for the blue versions... I mean it had to be out there somewhere, right? I didn't even learn in depth about Diaclone until I got online, and that my allusive treasure really existed. After that it took years before I got one. Now that I have one, I no longer have a Grail to search for. I don't see how there could ever be another TF I wanted more, or was as hard for me to get. Plus to date it is still the most I've paid for a single collectable item.

That is not to say there are not other TFs I really really want. But, Grails are not a sliding scale in my book.

And, it's not always price or availabitlity. Sometimes it's knowledge. I've had two other Grails outside of Transformers.

1. Was a record I had as a kid that had Movie Themes on it from Star Wars, Rocky, Orca, The Spy Who Loved me, etc. I looked all over for this record, at antique shops, online, ebay.... with no luck..... because I simply didn't know the name of the album. Then one day I lucked out and found the name of the record..... 30 seconds later I had bought one off ebay sealed and shipped for $15.

2. (which I have not found yet) Was a kind of cheap playset. Ocean Explorer set.... that came with a boat, 4 divers, an ocean background stand that the boat could sit on, a shark cage that lowered from the boat, a shark, an octopuss, and possibly some other accessories that I don't recall. With 12 years of searching online for this set, all I have ever found was a single picture, no name, what company made it, nothing.

20. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

I have two grails, and the prices together add up to $47. It's all about if you like the character and if you like the figure, and especially the journey to obtain it.