What makes a good transformer

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by blur3479, Jul 20, 2011.

1. blur3479

blur3479 The most boring member

News Credits:
    Title says it

2. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    transforming! that it for me.

3. JackHammer

JackHammer Me, no, I would never

Articulation
    accurate
    transformation

4. JackHammer

JackHammer Me, no, I would never

Articulation
    accurate
    transformation

5. Medri Fogmatio

Medri Fogmatio Autobot

Depends on what you are looking for.

I think it follows under these categories of how someone decides what TFers to buy and enjoy.

I think the best way to explain is by example Here's my Idea of what is best:

- Design: Universe/Henkei Hound
    [​IMG]
    His design is simple, clean, no real sign of kibble.

- Transformation

It depends if you want a difficult or simple transformation. I like seamless transformations that don't have me hesitating at one point to fuss with panels or stuff.
    I have to say that Generations Warpath fits the bill on that quite well for me.
    [​IMG]

- Accuracy (to source material)
    This one is very picky and most people have a hard time with this one.
    The only true 1 hit wonder on this in my opinion is Masterpiece Optimus Prime.
    [​IMG]

- Collectible
    This one right here is what makes Hardcore Collectors of Transformers look like nuts to casual collectors. It is where the design, the Transformation, the Accuracy has NOTHING to do with it, it is more about the Rarity.

I'd have to say the one that sticks out like a sore thumb in this department for me is Action Master Thundercracker (Botcon 2011)
    [​IMG]

- Personal Attachment
    I got a transformer from my beloved girlfriend, she got it for me as a Christmas Present and as a reward for acing all my classes in college.

Toys R Us Reissue Soundwave

That figure is by far my most treasured, not because it's Soundwave (one of my favorite characters) but because It is from the girl I love.

[​IMG]

- Nostalgia
    G1'ers get in here. This is essentially what I consider just collecting because it's old and it brings back memories.

G1 Optimus Prime is my Call on that.
    [​IMG]

- Completion
    This is more or less not able to define by one transformer. You have to get them all, regardless if it is good, bad, or stupid. It is for the sake of having it and having them all.

This is how I see it. What influences me the most has to be Design and Personal Attachment.

6. Minnemagnus

Minnemagnus Armada Starscream!

Yup^ I would add articulation, but this is what makes a transformer. I really agree with the personal attachment part. If for some reason I stopped collecting transformers and sold them all I would at least keep a few that were given to me by people I love.

7. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Articulation, Transformation, and how well the toy itself pulls off both modes (IE usage of kibble or lack thereof).

8. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

For me, capturing the character is more important than articulation and other stuff.

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i love detail and character a lot, like in RotF Ransack's mold:
    [​IMG]
    being able to pose a figure without having to worry about intricate balancing is another thing i look for. like Classics Mirage can even be posed doing a one handed handstand. or like this:
    [​IMG]

Solidity. If a figure looks like it should weigh 5 pounds in your hand because of its design and appearance, it has what i call a visual density.
    Voyager Inferno looks like it has a ton of it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  10. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

My criteria for a good Transformer might be slightly different than others.

Transformation: This is the big one being a Transformers toy. This isn't always so much about the difficulty of the transformation itself though that some times plays a role. It's more about how well the figure actually holds itself together in each mode and during transformation.

A toy could have a nice simple transformation even if I like more of a challenge I'd still give it a better rating if it holds together in both modes than a toy that is a challenge to transform but is constantly falling apart.

Now if I can have a transformer that's both a challenge but not painful to transform and doesn't have any parts constantly falling off or coming undone that's going to be one of my all time favorites. If the toy is simple to transform and falls apart constantly it's going to be a really bad toy.

Articulation: This is in a way part of how well a toy holds together in both modes. A toy could have 30 points of articulation but if he falls apart if I so much as look at him funny then it doesn't mean anything. I don't even count a point of articulation if I can't move it without something falling apart on the toy. Armada Optimus Prime for example just want to sit on the shelf if I can even get him combined with Jetfire and Overload. I can't move anything once I got the 3 together or they fall apart. Overload in particular is not really a good toy because of lack of articulation on his own and severely hindering Optimus Prime's articulation when combined. Which brings me to my 3rd point of interest.

Mold: Now this may not matter much to everyone especially if you like to actually play with the toys but as an adult collect who doesn't play with them like a kid does it really should matter more. I mean if you're displaying something on a shelf what's the point of displaying it if the mold sucks.

This is attention to detail and this is where something like Armada Overload can shine where he fails everywhere else. He's got allot of little molded details that I really like, well enough that I can forgive the lack of articulation especially with the arsenal on him makes it so he doesn't really need to move much anyway.

Now this is were I really start to HATE smaller figures because they RARELY ever get any molded details on them. When they do have them that goes to the next bit.

Paint Job: Really like to see paint jobs that bring out molded detailing. Allot of people hate repaints but some times repaints help me to notice little molded details I didn't notice on the original toy because they weren't painted.

Now again, this is what I hate about small toys. I don't mind some much when small details aren't painted on a larger toy but on a small toy EVERYTHING is a small detail, including their face. I've got ALLOT of little Mini-cons running around because I have the entire Armada toy line and many of them don't even have faces painted in. Their entire head is just molded in 1 color.

My favorite Mini-con is Rollout because being the biggest he ended up with the most molded and painted details out of all the Mini-cons. Ramjet was the smallest and the worst.

Screen Accuracy: Masterpiece Prime is the favorite in my entire collection and probably always will be for meeting all the criteria I just listed here.

As far as screen accuracy on it's own goes the most horribly inaccurate Transformers in my collection are all Beast Machines toys but I nearly bought that entire toy line as well so this isn't too high a priority on my list.

Longevity: This one I'm listing last even though it's more important because this is harder to rate a toy by. Like for the longest time I thought RID Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus were the best toys ever until I realized that just sitting on my shelf their tires were starting to rip apart. It started slowly just with one tire. But as time went on it's gotten to the point where not of their tires are actually attached anymore. I have them sitting on my shelf with the torn parts covered by robot bits of facing the wall so you can't tell just looking at them but the tires are just hanging there nothing holding them onto the rims.

There are bits on ROTF Jetfire which I'm thinking after a few years are going to fall off. And as part of his transformation the pieces are wedged between plastic parts in jet mode which it going to ware them down even faster depending on how often you transform him. And combined with Optimus Prime they wrap around his waist and connect in the front to help hold them together which is also going to add stress to them and ware them out faster. I've looked at all 3 modes for Jetfire and robot mode is the one where the parts can just hang freely without any added stress put on them so they'll last longer if left in robot mode. But what good is a Transformer that's in robot mode ALL the time. Of course Jetfire has another reason for being in robot mode... he fits on my shelf better that way. His jet mode is freaking HUGE!

11. BW megatron

BW megatron tiran

- Cool alternate mode
    - Cool looking robot mode
    - matching colors
    - alot of Articulation
    - Transformation
    - and alot of realistic WEAPONS! (not over/undersized, not painted yellow, no springs,....)