What makes a good Transformer?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Recall, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    What makes a good Transformers character?

Is it their name? Their alt mode and appearance? Their personality and/or backstory?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think it's a mix of their having good, complex characterization and a great toy.

3. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

It's really a mixture of an appealing design and that one unique trait that nobody else has.

4. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

It can come down to personal preference. But usually it has to be something that makes the character seem unique.

And then other times, it's just because *insert character* is a badass.

5. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

As far as a character goes, some unique character trait.

As far as the toy goes, it has to transform into something cool and I had better know when I'm done. Transforming some of the A-E-C figures is like playing Pictionary. "Is it a truck? Car! Car! It's a car! A boat! It's a boat."

Oooh, time's up. It was a plane.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Truly great? For me, if I'm being fussy (and I guess you need to be to fulful the criteria for greatness), then it's:

Depth of characterisation. This can come from the cartoon, toy bio or comic. G1 Mirage or BW Depth Charge were always infinitely more interesting than, say Animated Lugnut or G1 Blurr, for example.

A well articulated toy with an expressive head scuplt. There are a lot of figures who would do well here, but for me, the Animated line up is the best example of this, closely followed by Beast Wars.

A story arc. Something sadly lacking in G1 (with the exception of Hot Rod I suppose...), but more of a feature of TF media within the last 15 years. Just look at BW Cheetor or Armada Hot Shot for example. Maybe it's got something to do with being yellow..? Ultimately though, their contribution to their individual media and the franchise should be 'significant', however you would define that.

There are very few characters who even come close to fulfilling all of these criteria IMO. Off the top of my head, I would maybe go for BW Optimus Primal. I know a lot of you may be thinking that G1 Prime should get it by default because, y'know, he's PRIME for crying out loud! But really, he is quite a limited character. Blasphemy you say! Well maybe, but that's just my opinion.

Primal's charcter grows throughout the whole of Beast wars and on through Beast Machines. At the start he was the reluctant leader of an even more reluctant group of Maximals who were not meant to be warriors. By the end, he was the saviour of all Tranformers. He was a protagnonist in the series that, arguably, saved Transformers as a whole. He has several great toys to choose from, and AND he died (twice!) to save not one but two planets, maybe even the universe as we know it.

You can't get much greater than that.

7. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

To me, a good Transformer equals a well-written and believable (within the context of the mythos) character with an aesthetically pleasing design that hopefully gets turned into an awesome toy.

8. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

I personally think that it's a mixture between good personality traits and back story, and an appealing design.

9. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Characterization yes.

Design is a big factor too but I've seen ugly as fuck characters become appealing just because of characterization.

10. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    One of the first things that'll draw my interest is a bot's alt-mode and look. For example, when I first watched Transformers, Starscream caught my eye because 1) his alt-mode is an F-15, and at the time I was all about fighter jets and thought the F-15 was the top dog, and 2) he was decked out in my favorite color, red.

But if he's not written well, or if there's not anything compelling about him, it's pretty easy to lose interest. In Starscream's case, I always wanted to see him get the upper hand on Megatron - I thought I was finally getting what I wanted in the movie, but nooooo...Galvatron just had to be bitter about getting tossed out of Astrotrain. But he was pretty funny sometimes too - "I'm stupid, I'm stupid!!" or getting pinned under a rubber ball.

11. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    If they have an Autobot symbol, they're good.

The other kind are evil. :p 

12. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Good Characterization. No flimsy back story. Solid alt mode in toy form.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Fascinating personalities and uniqueness to them.

Such as Lugnut's loyalty to Megatron, Cybertron Shrtround being a transformer who collects transformers toys and Drift the badass kung fu mary sue.

14. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

A cool toy that doesn't break easily?

15. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Die-cast construction? :D 

16. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Design and having a real alt mode with die cast and rubber wheels.

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    :lolol  I was thinking the same

18. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    A lot of it comes down to personal tastes, but I think a good, creative bio can do wonders. Even for a not-so-cool design or alt mode. The Dreamwave MTMTE books proved that any Transformer can be an interesting character just as long as someone takes the time to give them a backstory and/or plenty of quirks and such.

19. AMG

AMG Old School

For me it's all about characterization.

20. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

A good bio. I can forgive a horrible figure and even fall in love with it if the bio endears it to me.

This happened with Deadlift and Optimus Minor.