What makes a good Sonic game? Breakdown and Analysis

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Omega Supreme-1, Aug 10, 2007.

1. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles hell even Mean Bean Machine all rock the house.

I tried Adventure on Dreamcast but the annoying voices, the terrible storyline and idiotic characters (a fat cat? what's going on?) really put me off. The Knuckles missions were pretty good though.

2. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

I admit your points are valid, but this is exactly my point as well.

First, I didn't screw around with the city missions. I collected emblems, drowned some fuzzies, ran around town - you know randomness.

Second, the problems you mention are my gripes, too, and for the most they have been around and/or have degenerated (as I indicated). The game is flawed in structure and execution. But, if you have the nerves and some dedication, you may note it has a very enjoyable soul. It's not a unmanageable trainwreck, it's a quasi-unmanageable trainwreck. But as a concept, as an adventure, it's enjoyable, cheeseball and most epic for a Sonic game. AND yet playable.

Personally, for me Sonic Adventure 2 was much worse when it came to playability. Even cheating, it was just the bitch (the rails, the RAILS! :cry ). It has some really unenjoyable parts. Sonic Heroes on the other hand was the best of the best, next to Sonic Adventure 1. Shadow? Eh, could live without all the confusion I felt playing it. Too much branching and lousy mission types. Some things never change though and that's what this is about.

My point is, I don't mind the conceptual direction that Sonic has gone, including Sonic next-gen, but far be it for me to overlook the flaws/bugs you pointed out. It's been there since SA and it bothers me that they can't (or won't) get rid of them.

...But you don't have to like it. I guess I'm just that dedicated. Which is funny because I'm not exactly determined in other games or other things. :) 

3. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Though in all it's suck-ness, you know what I loved about SA2?

Making that extreme jump through the stage downward in Sonic's Final Stage.

Chaosbringer_00 would know what I mean.

4. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

At least the Sonic games have different styles, the Megaman series keeps using chips, fusions, etc. I'm looking towards the American release of Star Force, though, and there's a slight chance I'll get ZX, but no way am I getting another Battle Network, X, or Normal series game

5. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

Battle Network, X, and the original series have all been over, X and the normal series for quite awhile now.

I don't even think any collections for them are in the works, so why complain about them?

I'm pretty sure only the Battle Network series used chips, and it was kind of like the theme of the series. You might as well cite Mario as overusing jumping if you're saying chips are a fault in Battle Network.

And "fusions" have only been used in Zx. In ZxA you get trances, where you actually get to become the damn boss, instead of borrowing its powers, which is a pretty big leap for Megaman.

So, could you elaborate on how Sonic is trying to add anything worthwhile? The last Sonic game that made me go "omg, this is new", was Sonic Adventure.

6. Brownstreak

Brownstreak Banned

Thats easy, a Sega Genesis. If its a sonic game and not on Sega Genesis, its complete dog shit.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    ooh, I agree. although sonic genesis game =/= greatness. witness 3d blast.

8. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Honestly I think they need to go back to "Sonic 3 and Knuckles"(my all time favorite sonic game) and use what worked there as a basis for the next 3d game.

-Old stand by character like tails and knuckles should always be playable with almost as much screen time as sonic himself.

-Bring back emerald collecting in the form of bonus stages w/ super sonic or tails or knuckles playable in all levels as a reward for getting all of them.

-No more master emerald shard collecting as Knuckles it just made playing my favorite sonic character a choir.

9. StefanXPrime

StefanXPrime Hater of all things G1

I dont like the fact that they have knuckles diggin for emeralds and shit. He should run like in the old days.

10. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

QFT that was one of the things I liked least about SA I also hated that you couldnt play as Super Sonic on any level you desired.

11. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

The genesis games and Sonic 3d blast were greatness. :thumb 

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don't really get the Megaman\Sonic rivalry here other than the two franchises put out a lot of games.

Certainly, the Megaman games have become derivative, but I don't see them suffering from a complete lack of production values like the Sonic series has seen in recent iterations.

13. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

I liked emerald hunting, or would have, if it was FUN. But no, it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack most of the time.

14. Pactard2112

Pactard2112 Well-Known Member

Change that to "if it's a Sonic game and it's not on the Sega Genesis, or Game Gear, it's complete dog shit", and you, my good man, are correct.