What makes a game scary?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by jorod74, Jul 10, 2008.

1. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

yes!

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

$60 bucks and it only took 5 hours to beat the game...now thats scary.

3. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Was it a really fun 5 hours?

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Nothing scares me more than trying to beat the first village in RE:4. the "proper" way.

Seriously I act like a little girl when I hear the chainsaw. I panic, can't find my aim, and always end up getting my head chopped off.

It's the sounds for me.

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That must mean that the NES, Genesis, and SNES are the home of the scariest games ever!

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, and yes...

At least now the experience has the opportunity of being a true and moving experience.

I'd pay 60 bucks for another uncharted if it meant being another short but extremely sweet experience.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Half-Life's headcrab stunts always got me. I remember coming out of my room late one night after playing HL2 for a few hours, putting my foot on something warm and soft (my cat) and going "YEAAAAAAAAAAUOWWWWWWWWWYIKESYIKESYIKES!"

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speaking of this topic. Today's PSN update had a demo for that Episodic Survival game Siren. I wasn't a big fan of the first one, but this one looks like fun. I'm enjoying the demo, and it gave me a few scares already. Also, I like the thought of it being episodic.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I agree.

Same story, same game, but where one you're a walking Quake style arsonel of doom and the other where all you have is a flashlight and a camera, the second game play style is without a doubt far scarier.

Playing for example, Diablo II on Hardcore makes for a far scarier gaming experience, especially when you're in the mid-50's for character level, since once your character is dead, that's it. You have to start a whole new game at level 1. You play a lot more conservatively and things that you don't sweat in normal play scares the crap out of you.

Funny thing, the only game that ever really scared me was via an easter egg that I didn't know about. Playing Hitman Contracts in the hotel stage with the suicide room, I was in the room and the ghost appeared in the mirror, scared the crap out of me. Games that are trying to be scary like AvP, can be unsettling, but they're not really all that scary.

The scariest thing, as mentioned is the unknown that your own imagination conjures up. Sounds, hints, and indirect mentions can lead to a scary experience. Tentacles and teeth do not.

10. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I agree with this. The first time this scene happned to me I threw the controler across the room. To this day it still makes me jump.

11. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Bricks

12. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

A limited combat system, if I have a fully loaded shot gun, is noware close to as scary as if say, I had a half loaded hand gun.

13. Lasbrook

Lasbrook Well-Known Member

The overall atmosphere really is what does it, good music too. Thats why i love the SH games, it has them in spades. The Ravenholme section of HL2 is a good example too. And my god, the mirror room in the hospital in SH3, if you've played sh3 you'll know what i'm talking about.

14. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    What makes a scary game?

Being Clive Barker's Undying.

Alternately, having major crashing issues along with a checkpoint system and very few checkpoints.

15. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    fatal frame- walking your character through the house (at the beginning, and instead of exploring, you find yourself playing dodgeball with the spooks. as in, as you walk across a room, and you suddenly notice the dead guy at the top of the stairs and can't tell if he spotted you or is just roaming. then, the limitations you have to endure with the camera- can't see as well, and BOO! some f-in ghost pops up in your face and you panic, snapping shots as fast as you can.
    I think doom3 had a good idea- you have to juggle between your only source of light, or holding the old shotgun, knowing either way you were screwed. kinda strange how that you can pack an arsenal and a lousy flashlight reduces it to a pile of baggage in no time.

Eternal Darkness was spooky on a different level- it was mental and it tortured you by robbing you of your own control at times.

Anyone here ever play The Thing on PS2 and like it? that game seemed like a win for scary, but i never heard much about it after it came out.

16. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I love the part in the first mission, where the ventilation tubing falls from the ceiling right in front of you, and it resembles an Alien. Made me jump the first time.

I still play the online to this day. It's fun running around as one of the four classes. My favorite is the runner.

-------------------------

How about arcade games? I always found The Lost World: Jurassic Park (the booth version, with the black curtains and the surround sound speakers behind your head) to be "jump at you from nowhere" scary, but it was also one heck of a fun game to play.

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I remember freakin' out when I died during the first cut-scene in RE4 because it was the first one to have the button-mashing pop-up in the middle and I had sat my controller down to dry my hands off on my jeans. It wasn't scary per se, but it made me say WTF just happened? lol

18. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i had it, was ok, more of a shooter than a scarer.

I found Kane and Lynch incredibly scary, mainly because it shocks me that somone would release that kind of crap.

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:

Jump? Hell netkid, your balls are bigger than mine. I shat myself, screamed and unloaded a full 95 round mag all at the same time before I realised I'd been had.

And when I came into that large courtyard, I did a full spread of grenades because of the crane swaying overhead.....

Fucking great game.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish I still had that game. AVP even... I really hope Sega gets it.. We need more Xenomorph action