Customs: What made you take the plunge?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by RustyBarnacles, Oct 4, 2012.

1. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been collecting TFs for a while now and have been exploring customizing/modding. I consider myself relatively creative but can't seem to bring myself to the point of hacking off pegs or slapping paint on my TFs. I want to but something in me just cannot get over that hump.

for those of you who have taken that plunge what was the deciding moment? Was it just "what the hell" or was it as difficult for you to just do it?

Any tips for equipment use for removing parts, applying paint, modifying parts?

Maybe some words of encouragement from your first successful mod.

The first thing I want to do is modify MP Starscream (old mold) so that the tail fin kibble is attached to the lower legs rather than sticking out the back from the waist (more new moldish). I've seen the vids on how to make the change, but just can't bring myself to do it.

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Always loved having ways of expressing myself, but my main goal was to one day own a G1 Arcee figure that didn't suck. Just dedicated myself to mercilessly destroying figures with the goal of achieving that figure one day.

I had the good luck of being in the process of collection Micron Boosters, to find the rare figures and thus had lots of doubles which I had no problem wasting when i started painting. A double of Cybertron Clocker also helped. My first successful repaint was a set of dinosaur minicons repainted in G1 colours. Hardly a huge achievement, but nice to see. I still remember that sense of achievement to see those three in front of me, even if "Slag" had frozen up due to paint.

If you want to start, i'd say start on something that's not MP Screamer. I have one and I've not done the mod (I want to keep mine original, but I think the wing pegs may be damaged already, that mold is so horrible in that section), but I don't think it'd be good to start with. I wouldn't try it even where I am now.

Just take a figure you don't like and kill it. With fire. Or a hammer. Or keep a transformer in your bag/pocket/whatever until you get up one day, really pissed off and smash it.

Oh, and start with acrylics, as they wash off more easily. And you get what you pay for.

3. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

For me it was being tired of waiting for a GOOD Shattered Glass Wheeljack. With that came a few more creative Ideas (when I am done with wheeljack). I started out SMALL with a Cyberverse Prime Wheeljack. That way I got to practice a bit and understand how it works. Start out small with CHEEP stuff thats still on the shelves. That way your not out a HUGE amount. Once you gain confidence, go for the gusto :) 

4. Deadgame1

Deadgame1 Well-Known Member

My daughter wanted a pink and purple optimus prime. So I figured I could find one online. NOPE! So i strted researching how to customize tfs. I finished that one and then did two more movieverse tfs that turned out well imo, so i bought a few more and a few more. I had no qualms about chopping and hacking shit apart but then again it was readily available figures not g1 or anything rare( YET MUHAHAHA)

5. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I started out just wanting to improve my toys and started out really small. I didn't want to put any paint on them until I saw a RotF leader Optimus Prime with the mechanics on its back painted silver. That made me get a paint marker set and start out adding little details here and there.
    The first mod I recall doing is the HA Bumblebee leg swap, which was simple and easily reversible. Then I started doing other simple cuts here and there to other TFs....

6. Molina00

Molina00 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have only done two custom paint jobs so far, but what made me start was how bad the PRID Bumblebee looked. It took me a while, but I built up the nerve to dismantle the little guy and go to work. Now I have a Bee that I am a lot happier with. For taking figures apart you'll probably need a pin punch set. I think it's the 5/16'" punch I use for removing pins, but I don't remember for sure.

As for painting, take your time. Multiple thin coats will get you a smoother look than 1 or two heavy coats. For your first I would get something readily available and cheap to practice on. That's why I went with PRID BB for my first. No big loss if I messed him up. I can offer nothing on actually modding the things. All I am doing right now is custom painting.

7. The Crow

The Crow ARK BUILDER!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I started out by wanting to fill some holes in my collection. I contacted a few customizers, but they were all just too expensive. I was in the middle of building my Ark Diorama and was confident that I had the skill and imaginationn to try it and started with making a Classics Shockwave. The rest is history. Now I can't stop, so many holes to fill!!! I am strickly a Masterpiece and Classics collector. Have VERY few G1s (only the ones left from my childhood) I am actually looking forward to getting Encore Fort Max just to chop it up and make a Classics version.

As far as the fear of hacking up a perfectly good figure, once you get a few customs under your belt and build up you confidence you will hack up anything!!! I am in the middle of hacking up a Overlord!!! LOL

8. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

I hadn't heard of kitbashing until an internet friend linked me to a custom made by Jaf way back in 04. I thought the concept of building entirely new figures was remarkable and exciting. I had to giver a shot and have been doing it ever since.

I had no problem cutting up figures.....after, the first incision is made.

....hell, I still feel that way.

9. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me, it's the closest I'm getting to being able to painting an actual car as I'm going to get at the moment. I enjoy doing it, I dabbled in car painting in high school, and wanted to get into that field, but that is more money that I don't have, and on top of that, with my shoulder being the way it is, I'm not even sure I CAN go into three field due to the constant heavy lifting involved. So this is a fin alternative for me.

10. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    when the 07 movie came out i noticed a lot of customs on ebay for movie figs and i continued to watch them go for a loads of money

but it was until 09/10 that i began to tinker myself my first was some classic update for the insecticons, but i later found i had a nack for accessories and i continue to have my own projects but the accessories is where i tend to stay.

11. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm still wondering what happened to the Megatron I sold ya, :lol .

12. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I also have to mention savio-prime's Battle Blade Bumblebee thread. Following along with that thread really inspired me to do more "drastic" mods. He did a great job describing everything in detail.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I had followed Zobovor's work quite a bit on att., and then people's work in the Yahoo! Group. I never took the plunge then, but was still taking art classes in college. Once I got into Alternators and saw what others were doing, I figured I'd give it a shot. Side Swipe and Dead End were the retail bots at the time, so I bought one of each. Hot Pursuit was the result:

[​IMG]

(Here's the result of me having my first custom under my belt, a 1 megapixel digicam, and Photoshop)

[​IMG]

(Later, I went back and shot a couple more photos after I replaced the digicam with a 4 megapixel camera!)

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Basically to make the toys that Hasbro & Takara weren't. A Classics Arcee was the first figure I tried (and never finished). Pretty sure my Seeker was the first thing I actually finished, albeit a simple repaint. Then Henkei Cliffjumper which I still need to get parts chromed for. And then a bunch of others still in progress like Shockwave, Metroplex, Alpha Trion, Omega Supreme, et al.

I'd grown up believing I'd have a career drawing comics, but starting about a decade ago I simply fell out of love with the industry and found myself with a new hobby here collecting TFs. I guess I started customizing as a new artistic outlet, since I literally wasn't drawing anymore.

15. Constructor

Constructor Witness my true form!

What motivated me to begin customizing was
    looking at all the custom Bruticus' and noticing
    all the things that disappointing me. It was at
    that point when I decided to make a bruticus
    that met my standards. I had a few design
    changes here and there, but through that:
    I created the perfect formula for SLEEVELESS
    Combiners.

16. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    That project is still lurking bud but I switched gears a bit, ended up doing an IDW all hail Megatron from an airs of pistol. Not quite finished yet but it's pretty far along.

17. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the tips and suggestions. The main thing I'm seeing is start small. I've got numerous cyberverse figures that I could mess around with that I don't much care for. Probably start there. Weird though, I'm still afraid to screw them up even though I don't give a damn about those figs.

Probably the perfectionist in me...which is going to be a problem.

18. PowerEncarnate

PowerEncarnate Mad Inventer

News Credits:
    for me it was the desire to complete a collection that was only sporadically getting support from hasbro, a general dissatisfaction with some of the official figures, and an annoyance at the fact that for a while all you saw in the stores were movieverse and animated figures...while i liked the movies and TFA for what they were i never liked the look of the toy lines based on them...ending up with a large collection of random movieverse and animated figures that would never be on my shelves through lot purchases, i had plenty of raw materials to work from, so i started hacking.