What made Hasbro decide to have game accurate FoC Bruticus be a CC exclusive?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Leather Elbows, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    Are they insane? There is 4 different versions of this figure(figures) and they make the best one an exclusive? Is it revenge or something? ''You complained about Bruticus when we revealed him. Well guess what? Most of you can't get him now bitch!''

2. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I might wait and see what takara does. I can imagine them releasing normal colors. It also won't be scalped as much as an exclusive.

3. Pencoin

Pencoin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly. Sure a Takara version all together would likely be more expensive than the SDCC version that doesn't account for Scalper Tax.

I imagine the Takara version will be a bit more G1 than the FOC version though. Still better than Energon colours.

4. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Watch as TakaraTOMY screws everyone over with stickers. Do not forget Shockwave is under Arms Micron, but I would not rule out the possibility that it may be an one-off, but still...

5. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    The best one is G2 and its pretty easy to get, being incredibly cheap on Amazon and soon coming to BBTS.

I think the reason may be because the Game version is pretty drab looking, being pretty much completely browns and greys, but they knew hardcore collectors who wanted it would pay the price, while kids might not have liked the boring colour scheme. The Energon one, however, is colourful and they probably thought would be far more appealing to kids, so they'll more likely get their parents to buy it, while the game one may have been a grey area. Remember, kids are the main source of Hasbro's profit.

6. Pencoin

Pencoin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is a one-off. There's no Prime Shockwave toy so they had to substitute. They'll probably still be a united version of the mold.

This is true for other figures but Fall of Cybertron is already shaping up to be one of the biggest games this year. Many people playing the game will likely not be hardcore TF fans like people on here but may still want some of the figures based on the game. These fans introduced through the game will likely be disgruntled with the inaccurate Bruticus colours and will have no interest in the G2 version.

This also highlights the similar problem of popular characters like Soundwave and Grimlock's toys being released long after the FOC Buzz will of died down, but that's another matter.

7. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

My thoughts exactly.

8. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to feel this way until in hand pics started popping up. SDCC just looks really bland.

It wasn't a good mass release choice and I see that now.

9. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    The SDCC version really doesnt look to good because of the weird coloured blast off

10. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I'm pretty OK with it now as I think the SDCC is the worst one.

I suppose if you like dull, drab, boring looking Transformers, all the power to you. I actually like my figures to look interesting. In a collection where my bigger figures are in the back and the smaller ones are forward, having vibrant colors allows for things to really draw the eye.

Anyways, G2 forever, baby. That's my dream Bruticus right there! Ruination is pretty damn good too and I think I'll end up getting him even though I don't give a rats ass about the Wreckers. The colors and the remolded heads, and the unique weapons look pretty damn awesome.

11. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. After getting some in hand looks of SDCC Bruticus, I'll gladly skip out on it. The retail version doesn't even look that bad, actually. But, as many have said, the G2 version is definitely the best looking one. I mean, even the box looks better than the SDCC box IMO. I'm very tempted to just leave G2 Bruticus MISB and display him in all his G2 90's retro goodness.

12. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    I don't get MISB figures to keep...I always open, but damn I think I am gonna get a second one to keep MISB. It's just too mind blowing-ly awesome that I cannot resist. As I said time and time again, as a kid who grew up in G2, this really pulls me back into my childhood. With a re-creation of G2 packaging, down to the collectible UPC code you can clip out and the old school Hasbro logo on it, and the toy itself with the accurate colors and G2 logo on them.. You just can't beat that. G2 Bruticus is way, way too awesome.

13. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I just find it laughable the actual fig's color scheme ended up being so wrong. Every pre-release pic we've seen showed Onslaught being that steel blue-grey that he is in the game and in G1. And even on the actual packaging. But they decided to make him turd brown in the end. Hasbro's logic there is just...I dunno *shrugs*

14. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're surprised they made the version that theoretically appeals to collectors available at a collector's convention. :peoples: 

15. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

I can see why this SDCC one is desirable, it's the accurate one. Making it exclusive is I daresay unusually mercenary of Hasbro. But it might be their only choice...who would buy "Energon" Bruticus as an exclusive?

"Energon" Retail Bruticus actually doesn't look as godawful as it did at BotCon, where I figured they were either unfinished or just too dreadful to buy. Now they are merely loud, not objectively ugly.

16. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Personally, I feel if Devastator can be an obnoxious neon green and deep purple, what's wrong with retail Bruticus? I don't think it's as bad as people want to think it is.

17. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

I don't care, compare to the other releases of the figures, SDCC Bruticus is the dullish looking one out of the 4 (SDCC, G2, Retail, Wreckers). Now if the G2 version was the SDCC exclusive, I would have been upset. The G2 version is the best looking one in my eyes.

18. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Yes. It was revenge.

As we all know, these huge companies operate entirely on pettiness.

19. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Oh come on, it is Hasbro. They will probably release the SDCC version in retail later on without the epic box (Deluxe Optimus Prime and Deluxe Terrorcon Cliffjumper), or a Generation One colored version that everyone would drool over... ...after everyone who wants one have bought at least 2 versions of it.

20. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    To be fair, the G2 one would probably be better for SDCC, for that purpose. Amazon could've had Kool-Aid Energon colors, and retail the game-accurate colors.

Either way, I'm getting all four versions of the mold, and it would likely cost me the same with either selling configuration.