What Lines have you Given up Collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by slugslinger2004, May 7, 2011.

1. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just started thinking about this while looking at some old pics of my collection. There are a few lines I stopped collecting due to space issues or just because they didn't interest me any more. What lines have you given up on collecting and why? I'll go first:

1. Alternators: While Alts are awesome, I didn't have the space to display toys that large in addition to the rest of my collection. It also got a bit boring without any other types of vehicles besides cars. The deluge of new "Classics" toys played a part as well; I didn't see the need to have what were essentially two "classic" versions of Bluestreak, even if one is larger.

2. G1: I still have a crap ton of G1 toys, but I haven't bought one in months and sold several out of my collection a few months back. RTS/ Generations has really spoiled me with their articulation, and I'm holding out hope that some of my favorite G1 toys will get updates.

3. Beast Machines: Simply, there weren't that many good toys in the line. I only have a few Vehicons left now, but when the line was first released I bought nearly every toy besides the beast riders and Nightscream.

4: 2007 Movie: I have the deluxe Concept Camaro Bumblebee and Stockade and honestly I'm glad they're all I have since there are much better versions of the movie toys in later lines.

I thought about adding a few more to the list but they don't really fit. I stopped collecting Energon and Alternity figures because I have everything I want from those lines; also there are a few lines where I only want 2 or 3 more figures before I'm done with them: Car Robots (Brave Max), Beast Wars (Magmatron and TM Tarantulas),

2. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

Initially I started collecting figures in most lines except G2, beast wars, cybertron, and armada. However, since then, I have slowly one by one said goodbye to:

-alternators
    -titanium
    -energon
    -alternity...and most recently
    -WSTs

I don't know why, but I still buy movie toys now and then, even though I generally disapprove of the line compared to my other favorites. I have complete animated and classics (CHUG) collections, so along with g1 (and diaclone) I'll probably collect those lines for the rest of my life.

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 ----> Classics killed that line for me, sold everything
    BW----> I have all the characters I like
    Alternity-> Sad the line ended and now i'm just going to keep the Convoy's

To be honest, i'm about THIS close to quitting classics as well. WTF man, even Hasbro figures are going for 30 bucks now? I can afford them but gosh.... its just not that convenient anymore.

I miss going to Target, picking up a few Classic's figures with my groceries and walking out. Now, I have to buy a case from BBTS or wait for HTS to just magically restock their figures.:2c: 

This market is ridiculous :2c:  I'm glad I got all my Henkei stuff years ago, otherwise I would have probably skipped the line altogether.

4. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

I gave up on Alternators because while cool, they just weren't much fun to play with, not to mention too big to fit in with anything else, scale-wise.

I gave up on Animated because they didn't fit in aesthetically, but I kind of wish I hadn't. It probably wouldn't take much effort to pick up the last few main-line releases.

More or less gave up on G1, because the newer Classics-style toys are just...well, better. I'd love to get my hands on a minty-fresh Trypticon, though.

5. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

i'm very picky to what goes into my collection. i gave up on the alternity line. i can't even force myself to buy the seeker moulds. i don't even display them properly. i used the boxes with the toy inside as makeshift bleachers for my classics line. it works perfectly.

same goes for the alternators and BTs, i just need BT swindle and nemesis but they're repaints. i can't force myself to buy em'.

6. GrandMaXimus

GrandMaXimus Party in my tummy!!! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:

Couldn't have said it better.

7. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Other than Animated, I've given up on getting toys from every line that retailers have given up on getting toys from.

8. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    Movie - i only ever got two, both are now for sale
    Palisades Statues - Got my favorites, would like the other decepticons but their too expensive for me to justify it

9. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

non classics

10. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I love classics.....as I'm still tryna get RamJet, Jetfire, Optimus, Skywarp (but you literally have to sell crack to get them right)

I like movies, but only for the alt modes...but I'm done with them (waste of $, imo)

Alernators, its cool, but grimlock and megatron are CARS? Don't make sense to me.

I love Animated, very accurate

Edit: Exclusacon DOES NOT encourage illegal activites

11. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    Alternators...too fiddly for me. I had most of them...sold or traded off all but a few that refuse to move (points to sales thread). Keeping Hound and Prime.
    G1...for the most part. Getting rid of most reissues...keeping vintage (played with and beat to hell, more or less). Classics make G1 look downright primitive. Just traded Trypticon for a bunch of sealed Beast Machines recently.
    Movie figures...went completist with the onscreen cast of first movie, then started to do so with RoTF before I realized that I didn't really enjoy them. Offscreen characters for RoTF were pretty cool for the most part, but I only bought a few. F*ck Mixmaster... I'll probably throw down for the Ultimate Prime...
    PCCs...peaked with Grimstone. Don't really care for most of the others.

I never really cared for collecting by line...I tend to buy what I like, although later I sometimes wonder what I was thinking. At this point I have all of the older stuff I've ever wanted...newer stuff sometimes grabs me, sometimes not.

12. bdougwrx

bdougwrx Well-Known Member

Classics Ramjet. Money isn't an issue, but I'm not paying $70+ for a deluxe. He's the only seeker I need...maybe I'll just get the i-gear version.

Cybertron Metroplex...don't get me started on this guy :banghead:  I might pick up the Mocom one, but he's still $70+ shipping.

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I have my BT:s but that is about the only none G1 I own. I sold of all RID, Armada etc etc several years ago and just focused on G1. Have not regretted it since.

14. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I gave up collecting G1 quite some time ago, even when I had periods away for a few years from collecting, I never started up again with G1. Mexican Variant G1, Euro variant G1, weird coloured minibots from EcuaBraziArgentZuela just don't hold appeal for me any more. More accurately, I can't afford to entertain all these areas.

I sold up all of my Alternators as well because due to the Metals Transform Chinese KOs, this area of collecting became impossible to keep up to date with, so I kept my Binaltechs and just a few choice Alternators. Space was also a major concern here.

After I stopped watching Animated (not by choice, just didn't find time) I stopped buying ANimated, but I really loved the line. I only have kept the core characters from season 1 + some cheapo repaints I found in Iceland.

I briefly dabbled in collecting prototypes and testshots, but again, realised pretty fast this wasn't where my interest really lay.

I'd love to still be able to collect Japanese Diaclones, but the market has clean priced me out. If a Diaclone Prowl can sell for near $800, I have no hope of rebuilding my old collection. Only 2 or 3 pieces remain in my collection from this area.

Which leaves me with the one area I can still focus on and pick something rare up every 2 years or so, Joustra Diaclones. In between those 2 year scores, there are Human Alliance and the odd Masterpiece. I still have a nice collection of original Alternators artwork too, one for the future games room wall :) 

All the best
    Maz

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  15. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ive given up pretty much on everything but chug. Ive sold off just about everything over the last 2 years.

16. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    G1 - I haven't had G1 since I was a kid, and even then, I only ever liked Optimus Prime, Megatron, Wheeljack, and the Seekers. The MP and CHUG lines are what I prefer now.

Binaltech/Alternators - I only ever had one (red Jazz/Meister) and he was cool with his diecast and alt mode, but the cost, size, and space were all issues. I ended up selling him on eBay.

Alternity - But not by choice since they ended the line. I have red Convoy, silver Megatron, and Starscream but I may end up getting Skywarp and Thundercracker while I'm in Japan this summer since I'm a Seeker nut. I'm not a fan of CJ or BB so I won't pick those guys up.

Revoltech - Already have what I need: red Convoy, Megatron, and Starscream. I did pick up a neat custom Skywarp repaint on eBay for my girlfriend and I may end up getting an extra Starscream and paint him up as Thundercracker just to complete the original 3 Seekers. Ultra Magnus and Rodimus are a no-go for me (just not a fan of the characters).

Animated - I really like Takara's colors on Starscream and just picked up Blitzwing for my girlfriend. We may get Swindle and Skywarp while we're in Japan. After this, that's it for us.

Movie - Definitely getting Cyberverse Powerglide; Voyager Shockwave, maybe. I might pick up Buster Prime while I'm Japan, and that's about it. I already have and love my Takara MP Starscream. After that, it's a done deal with this line.

MP??? - This really depends on how MP-10 turns out, haha (Takara's constant repaints are getting old and I don't like Rodimus at all). I have/love the original 3 Seekers and recently picked up a PP01 Faith Leader from iGear and would love their PP02 Horror Monarch (their Conehead and Sunstorm figures look great too but I'm not a huge fan of the characters so they're a no-go for my wallet). I might pick up MP Grimlock somewhere down the line but I'm decidedly lukewarm toward him as a character.

It's getting to the point of diminishing returns for me as a collector. I may get a few more odds and ends with the CHUG toy lines but that's it for me. I'm more of a quality over quantity type of guy so the "gotta catch/collect 'em all!" mentality doesn't apply to me.

17. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    I've given up on CHUG, and even sold the grand majority of my collection bar a choice few. I think i'm just sick of the G1 styling, and sick of hearing about classics this and classics that.

I've also given up on the Movie lines. Again, I've sold most of my movie toys bar a select few. DotM could have kept me interested, as I love some of the CG renders and designs i've seen, but most toys appear to be smaller, less detailed, less intricate and more expensive. Overall though, I've had it with movie styled toys.

I've gotten all the animated figures I want, so I'm currently keeping myself entertained with a bit of a Beast Wars binge, which is not only cheap, but the perfect antithesis to all these jaggedy, bricky robots (for want of better terms!) that seem to be everywhere!

Hopefully, I'll have detoxed nicely by the time Transformers: Prime hits! Can't wait for that sleek, stylised goodness!

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    G1: There's maybe three left I still want, but probably never gonna bite on.

Animated: I only have Hydro BB and Wingblade Prime left to get, but the horrible TakaraTomy decoes are just blech and make them stick out like sore thumbs around the much nicer Hasbro versions.

Unicron Trilogy: I wanted to get some more figures, mostly from Cybertron, but I just never did.

Classic-style figures: Because they're so hard to find.

Alts: I considered going back, but I'm content with the few I have.

However I don't see any of this as a bad thing since now I can go on to collect Beast Wars for probably ever. :lol 

19. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Titanium. I only owned two of them (Grimlock and Rodimus), but decided eventually that I wasnt going to ever get em all and didn't like the look of them anyhow so I sold them.

Right now Alts and G1 are on hiatus for me. I have prettymuch just decided to focus on MPs and Classics for now, though the ones I am missing in both are expensive.

20. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I call Heresy.