Customs: What line of TF was used for .....

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Robcbh, May 29, 2010.

1. Robcbh

Robcbh Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    What line of transformers was used the BOTCON exclusive Dawn of Futures Past repaints? Or was it from many different lines?
    I dont own the set, but have never seen a Tarantulas figure and because
    hes my favorite BW character i wanted to do one of him. I want the figure to not look out of the ordinary with the rest (Which i dont own). and does anyone have any suggestions on which mold i should use. ( Im new to Customizing and only dabble in it a little so try to take it easy on me for suggestions) I was thinking Lugnutz from RID line.THanks!

2. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    They were all from the Transformers: Cybertron toyline. :) 

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    The set was largley Cybertron repaints, the only exceptions being "Darksyde" Waspinator (Machine Wars TC repaint) and the ex-tape condors; Buzzsaw and Laserbeak (Energon Divebomb repaints).

According to the TFwiki, "Dawn of Future's Past" Scorponok was a redeco of Energon Scorponok, while the "Theft of the Golden Disk" animation (the little movie setting up the events to Dawn of Future's Past) model uses Cybertron Shortround (the figure that can turn into a approximation of a toilet). And then there's this picture:
    [​IMG]

This appeared in the "Dawn of Future's Past" comic, and the closest model match I can make is to the Energon Landmine/quake mold.

You probably can't go wrong with any of the three, but since you say you're new to customizing, I highly recomend the Cybertron Shortround figure. While it's the least "Scorpion-like" of the three options in either mode, it's also the smallest, cheapest, and probably the easiest way to start experimenting with repainting figures. Either version of the Energon Landmine and Scorponok figures are much more expensive (they're MSRP Ultra Classes, and they're popular ones at that so the prices are generally higher on the secondary markets) and are much larger with more rubbing spots, which will only cause problems for new customizers.

Additionally, finding a Cybertron Shortround on the secondary market (or even retail) is much easier, since the same mold was used for the Movie Storm Surge figure (first a single-packed Target exclusive and then in a two-pack with Movie Air Raid, an Energon Skyblast repaint), whereas Landmine/quake only got recently reused for Botcon Landshark (far too valuable as an exclusive to be repainting fodder) and Scorponok hasn't seen shelves since Energon ended.

4. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    He was slightly remolded for Cybertron.

5. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    There was a Croytek using the Energon Shockblast/Six Shot concept.

6. Robcbh

Robcbh Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    On TF wiki it says that Tarantulas was molded after Ransack in "Theft of the Golden Disc" but Rattrap already has that mold so i was thinking of using the SCrapmetal mold hes already got a Spider-ish look about him

7. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Make it happen, I wanna see this custom made :)