Customs: What kinda of paints should I use

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Phoenix Prime, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Phoenix Prime

Phoenix Prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have found myself with an extra Cybertorn Vector Prime... and think it would be a great chance to do my first kitbash, but I am unsure of the correct paints to use

2. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    With the amount of white plastic and the rubberised parts, I'd say use dye, with enamel paint for the highlights.

3. Phoenix Prime

Ebay:
    like dye the majority of the parts in the main color and then just touch up details? I could do that I guess. though most of the brown parts will be white when I am done, any suggestions?

4. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    No, no, no. Forget the the dye. Dye is only for slight adjustments, not total changes. What you want is Krylon Fusion spray paint. Mask what you don't want painted, and use Testor's Model Master Paint or a similar Acrylic to do the details. Just be sure to spray very light coats until it's how you want. You can add more paint, but taking it awayis another story.

5. Phoenix Prime

Ebay:
    would I find all that at basic model stores or art and craft stores or somewhere else?

6. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I believe, Phoenix Prime, you can buy the paint from craft stores or hobby shops (with the few remaining nationwide). I have some of the same exact questions because once I get my blue Binaltech Prowl, I plan on taking one of the two I'm getting and altering him a bit. I plan on reversing the legs, changing heads, putting doors on ball sockets (maybe, but so they can rotate vertically) and painting the white arms and legs black. I'll post some images once I have him finished.

7. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How about for the trim or such? I've got some parts I want to paint for a number of customs and they'd be pretty damn hard to use spray paint on.

8. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    The best suggestion I can give you for the small, hard to paint areas (fine edges) from previous model (Gundam) painting is use a fine tip baint brush, carefully (as in using small tweezers) mask the area and spray or use paint markers with fine tips. What worked best for me was a magnifying lense mounted on an adjustable arm on the corner of the desk, a slow steady hand (don't be drinking coffee), fine tip paint marker and patience. If you get paint over where you don't want it try to touch it up first.

9. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

For anything you want to brush paint on, use acrylic model paints. They dry harder than the enamals. Brushing a little Future floor polish over it, will give an extra layer of protection. It's very durable acrylic clear coat.