Customs: what kind of paint should I use?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by .SentinelPrime Is Dead., May 13, 2006.

1. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Ive tried acrylic paint. it keeps wiping off. what can I use that wont wipe off?

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I use Testors acrylics plus other acrylic products without any problem. As a matter of fact, they're my preference. Acrylics take about 15 minutes or so to dry. I also have a desk lamp on my table as well that I keep parts under while they dry. Unless you're wiping it off right after application, I don't see how you're having this problem.

What's your method of application? I brush by hand as I've never use sprays. Maybe some of the guys who use sprays can jump in here. Still, I think you're at under 30 minutes of drying time no matter what medium you use.

You can try enamels, but they're oil based (which means it takes them longer to dry). My experiences with applying enamels with paintbrushes have been that enamels don't dry well to the point of never drying well. Again, I think with sprays results differ.

How long are you giving your pieces to dry seems to be the question I may ask. Hopefully, you can hang around the forum and keep at it (persistence is key!) and just improve! I think you'll find a community of guys here willing to help you in just about any way possible.

3. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It helps if you wash the figure before painting to remove any oil or whatever from the plastic. I've used 3 kinds of paint so far: Krylon Fusion spray paint (great stuff- bonds to the plastic so it won't rub), testors enamel, and Citadel acrylics. I haven't had any problems with rubbing except from the enamel, but that's due to how the figure transforms. None of those have rubbed off just from handling.

4. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Always wash the parts. The mold-release oils and any oils picked up from the packaging plastics can really screw up paintwork as far as having it stick. If you've ever noticed a sort of rainbow-color filmyness on anything clear plastic, that's what causes it (real pain on the screen protectors for the NDS if you don't wipe them down first since it causes rainbow where it contacts the screen).

If it's hard plastic like the figures are mostly made of, as opposed to the softer plastic of pointy bits or PVC figurines, then wash the parts (EXCEPT CLEAR PARTS, this would muff them up!) thoroughly with a stiff fingernail brush loaded with something like Lava soap. This scuffs the plastic enough to really help the paint stick. This is especially good for smooth, glossy looking parts. It also does the job a last faster, a lot more evenly, and gets into every little nook and cranny better than sandpaper ever will.

5. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

thanks guys. I tried everything you told me. I washed the parts. then painted, and then let dry for 45 minutes all and all it doesnt look that bad. Ill post pictures once I'm totally finished.