What kind of fan/collector are you?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kronos, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Galvatron397

Galvatron397 Official TFW Omni-Geek

Oh man, your collection would tick me off so badly. I didn't have enough funds for any BotCon expenses so I never finished my Classics and I despise Alternators.

2. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy Well-Known Member

I try to collect everything in the main like, repaints exclusives and that. I try to stay away from oddities but I do have a few and I do get a few imports the ones I really like. But for the moive stuff I'm only collecting the main transformers and a few odds pieces, staying away for cyber slammer, cyber stompin, TECH and stuff like that.

3. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

That's pretty much where I stand. I was keeping pretty good tabs on the new Alternators, but since that line's been axed I'm a very infrequent buyer.

However, I do get rabid when I can't find something (like 08 Bumblebee) at retail.

4. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I USED to be an über completist. Since G2, I would buy 2 of every figure... 1 to take out and 1 to keep MIP. I always liked the way that MIP figures looked displayed but couldn't stand not taking them out and transforming/handling/playing with them.

Then after Armada I wised up... only bought one of every figure (in that I am still a completist) and only the repaints I like. Except for the movie stuff... making a few other exceptions for that. Not getting Deluxe Brawl in lieu of Leader Class Brawl and staying away from CyberSlammers, and probably won't be getting the FABs, except for Frenzy.

Comics - I used to buy every cover that came out, especially during DW's run... now I only get one of every issue with the cover I like best. Even now entertaining the idea of forgoing that and getting the TPBs when they come out saving me several trips to the comic shop.

I also now have more posters than I know what to do with because (again during DW's run) I bought every single poster I found. I think this had a lot to do with that fact that there weren't any TF posters as I was growing up and I was just excited to have them. Not that I have anywhere to put them now.

So I guess make of that what you will... heheh.

5. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

Same here, the movie toys are just too ugly for me, minus the realgear, and the main line always feel like they are geared more for kids than they are for adults.

I miss my 1:24 scale model car bots..... sob.

And as for classics, i got almost the whole line minus the minicons because of the direct homage to G1. Then bot-con pissed me off so now I'm a bit mixed on how badly I want to complete the line. Not 500$ badly I'll tell you that, and I'm not sure if I want to be a completionist for the rest of it after bot-con now.

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Since Beast Wars I've been a show character only collector. All opened and displayed.

In terms of G1 I got all the re issues and a few vintage. I always had a thing about after market prices being so stupidly high so I stick to a deal when I find it.

For the most part I buy all my figures off the shelf or from local TF dealers that are either equal too or a minimal amout higher than retail.

I'm glad the movie figures are so limited because its amazimg how fast a bank account can grow when your not squandering on toys lol.

But in all honestly i think Im an OCD collector and collecting transformers and DVDs brings me a great deal of joy.

That's my story and Im sticking to it.

PC
    Transbot90210

7. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Quality over quantity. My collection consists mainly of Alternators, MPs, 6 inch Titaniums, Cybertron, Armada, Classics, and a few Movie TFs. Wish I had some G1s, though.

I never want to exceed over 100 figures.

8. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ever since the collector lines started I've realized that's more what I'm into than the main line stuff. I usually just buy what I like but once in a while I get completist like with Binaltechs, I missed out on everything and only started buying them at christmas but I've got 14 so far, I'm probabaly payin twice as much as everyone that bought em when they came out though. Classics I buy all the new molds and am trying to get all the masterpieces too. Not interested in the movie stuff. I'm tryin not to be a completeist but I seem to head that way once in a while

Graeme

9. Lady_Prime

Lady_Prime Prime's Leading Lady

Ebay:
    I collect mostly Optimus Primes (yes I'm on the lookout from your sales) and a few other goodies from the movie. I have the bedding and the other movie merchandising which is cool..but I would like to complete my Prime collection.

Heather

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I dunno how I'd classify myself.

I don't do MISB unless it is something I paid to specifically get MISB (like a G1 figure), most things I'll open though.

I started my collection over and the only things I had before the movie line came out were a MISB G1 Starscream and 10th Anniv. Waspinator

Other than a few real gears, and deluxe Arcee I just plain on getting the movie characters (best transforming representation of them, i.e. not ultimate or unleashed or the replica versions).

11. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

I only just 'started', but I'm only planning to buy the ones of the chars I like. They'd have to look good though. I'm only getting movie ones for now.

12. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have focused my collection on Starscream. He was my favorite from G1 back in the day. Aside from that I get the toys that look good and/or have an onscreen presence that appeals to me.

Even if I had the money to be a completest I don't think I would because not every toy in a line is good.

I open my toys. The only exceptions are my Starscreams. I like to have one opened and one sealed.

13. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I buy what I like. I am by no means a completist, although I suspect with Classics, I will come close, excluding the minicons and the botcon stuff.
    I don't buy anything with the intention of not opening it, although I do have many figures still misb due to time and space constraints.

14. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I used to be the 'just buy what I like' type of collector.

I started during Beast Wars, but at the time never really bought all that much, just couldn't afford it. Beast Machines... eh, a few, mostly Vehicons. I ended up buying virtually all of CR/RID because I really liked that line. Almost nothing from Armada, Energon, or Cybertron.

I became somewhat of a 'completist' due to Alternators. But I eventually got very bored of Alternators... I realised that I bought them and just stuck them on the shelf. The looked great on my shelf, but I really didn't enjoy them after awhile and the long lulls between releases was extremely frustrating. I sold them. All but Smokescreen, because of his sentimental value. (I have Ravage 2.0 now, too.) I moved back to Beast Wars and at one point had a complete set of original first season show characters... then i stumbled on BW NEO... and it consumed me and i loved it. Sold off my BW show characters(which were a bitch to track them all down) and now am proud of my complete NEO collection which is never going anywhere.

Add in my newfound love of Yamato's 1/48 Macross VF-1 line... and that leads me to being basically a "FINISHED collector."

15. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I buy kickass representations of the ones I liked and remember seeing in the cartoon when I was a kid. And since I only watched from season 1 to about halfway through season 2 and the 86' movie, I've thankfully been limited to one for each of these;

Optimus Prime (MP-04)
    Jazz (Alternators)
    Ultra Magnus (Titanium)
    Hot Rod (Classics)
    Bumblebee (Classics)
    Grimlock (Classics)
    Jetfire (Voyager Classics)
    Megatron (MP-05)
    Soundwave (TRU reissue)
    Shockwave (vintage G1)
    Starscream (Classics)
    Devastator (Classics repaint)

I got Leader Prime and will probably get Alt Roddy because they're awesome toy representations that dont detract too much from their original forms. I also might get Classics 2.0 Ironhide and Galvatron if they look G1 accurate. But other than that I'm not really into collecting. Dont care for having things C10 or MISB. At the end of the day, they're still just toys.

And yes, I do play with them whenever I have the chance to because I can use my imagination more so than if I just left them on the shelf.

16. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm a near-completist. With VERY few exceptions, I have every U.S.-released transforming TF toy from Beast Wars to the present, including exclusives and repaints, and I do buy the occasional Japanese TF as well. For the most part I skip non-transforming TF products or Roleplay items, though I do make some exceptions (for example, I'm picking-and-choosing from the Robot Heroes and Robot Replicas lines-- that kind of stuff doesn't count towards my "official" TF count in my signature, however). That's not to say I buy things I don't like, however-- even toys that I've reviewed very poorly on my website I still find fun and worth the money personally. I can count the number of TFs I've purchased that I've genuinely regretted on my hands (namely, the McArmada figures). The only U.S. lines I have very few figures from are G1 & G2 (heresy, I know), mainly because I don't find them that fun. Many of them are too oddly proportioned and brickish by today's standards, and I was born just a few years too late to get into the early G1 craze (I was born in '83, so I was still an infant in G1's heyday), so I have little emotional attachment to them. I also don't bother with variants, either.

I only buy one of everything, and throw away the packaging except for the tech specs and instructions-- I never understand why people will keep Transformers, of all things, in the box.

17. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

I usually buy what I like. And like Grimlock_13 said in his comment "overly-kiddie stuff like the Movie FABs and Cyber Slammers, etc dont interest me the least."
    Most of my collection consists of MIB G1 goodies and is what I prefer to collect. I dont buy loose TFs. The preTF items really interest me and one day I'll try and get some of them. Along with some of the Jap/Takara vintage TFs.
    I've taken a little break from collecting G1 to acquire the rest of the Alternators line I need. And to get some more I wanna use for some customs. The same goes for the TRU reissues I still need. I'd like to think I'm a completionist, but I really dont have the money lately to collect multiple lines. Which is why the movie line is killing me right now. There's a few more I still need, but then just when I think I'm alright for a while Hasbro has to release another wave of them. All of which are being kept MISB. Later on I'll probably purchase doubles to open and enjoy even further.
    Some lines dont interest me at all and for now I'd rather keep it that way. Such as Beast Wars, RID, Diecast, and Energon [with the exception of the Unicron repaint].
    But as for what kind of fan I am.... well, I'd like to think I'm one of those old-school die-hards. I grew up playing with them, and will continue to enjoy and collect TFs for the rest of my life.

18. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:
    I originally had a G1 Collection, most of it was the figure my mom bought me when I was young. I had stuff like all the dinobots, a complete metroplex, tryptacon, megatron, etc... I unfortunatly had to sell them all in order to pay for my college.

Now 6 years later I am slowly rebuilding my collection. I am mainly collecting just the transformers I sold off and ones I always wanted as a kid. I am not collecting the G1s for profit or anything. I honestly couldn't care less if they have worn stickers or missing accessories or reissues.

I am also catching up on the new lines that have come out, buying 2 sets of each, one to keep in the package and one to play with.

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm a semi-random collector who spends more than he should.

Generally, I only collect what I like, which actually means I just don't buy stuff I'm pretty sure I'll dislike. (plenty of opportunities for disappointment though). I don't get busts or statues, though I may get PVCs/figurines/Robot Heroes. Sometimes I will buy something for it's "importance" in terms of character or rarity, or I might be a completist of a specific line or genre if it's relatively convenient to do so. Packaging is not important to me, though I do save some boxes.

I'm consistently inconsistent.

20. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I buy what I like and I take everything out of the box. I'm hardly naive enough to think I'm going to be able to retire from selling them at some point down the road. I generally don't do the "kids toys" like Cyber Slammers, for example.