What kind of collector are you?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by soundwave86, Apr 23, 2008.

1. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you have to have every figure of every series you like? Do you only like rare figures? Or do you only collect the tf's you like. As for me i only collect what i find interesting. I occasionally like to have one or two exclusives but that's it.

2. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

When I was 18 and Beast Wars came out I was too embarrased to buy toys. I didn't even watch Beast Wars, but the tug of buying TF's was strong. Now that I'm 30 with huge student loans it's not very practical for me to buy toys. Last year I caved and bought MP-01 in May then just had to get MP-05 in June, MP Wal-Mart Starscream in November as well as 09 BB and Barricade. The elusiveness of BB Ratchet suckered me in and I got good deal on E-bay. Now I'm struggleing with getting the rest of the Premium line. I like them, but it's like buying that thing that is cool to you, but there's no where to put it.

It's true that once you start buying TF's it's VERY addicting, you can't buy just one. Right now my criteria for buying TF is they have to have an ALT mode of something real. I'm really struggling with buying Premium Blackout. I should save my money, but that helicopter would look sweet next to Starscream in ALT mode. If I had the money I would get into Animated, but just looking at the cost and not really having anywhere to put them I'm going with they have to be of something real an they have to be well executed. Movie Starscream is OK, but has too much kibble. Megatron is out of the question too.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'm the best kind of collector.

4. Terrorcon0

Terrorcon0 Transformers Rock Star!!!

News Credits:
    I am the Ultimate kind of Transformers Collector!!!

5. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    I collect toys that I think look good enough for the money and have decent quality, and the main characters that I like from the show/movie. Money is a restraint for me, so I try to plan ahead and get a figure that is a great mixture of the two.

6. dougzx9

dougzx9 Wish I were here

When I first started if it said Transformers on it I would buy it, no matter what it was. Now that the novelty of buying toys that were out when I was little and didn't have has worn off a little, I tend to only get what I like.

So I guess I'm a collector who has learned that just because it says Transformers on it, it doesn't mean I have to buy it. (Sorry Hasbro)

7. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    If i like it then I will def buy it esp if it looks nice!!!!!!!!!!!

8. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

For the Figures ,I'm a Completist.....plain and simple.

Basically to sum it up , I have every American Made Transformer from 1984 to Now, and about 85-90% of all international Transformers (meaning Versions/Molds never released in the U.S.)

I also Have multiples of all the comicbooks. I collect all other types of thing with TF Written on it. Clothes,Bedwear, Candy, Trading Cards, Ect.ect.ect.ect.........

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Im the kind, that u know, COLLECTS!!!!

But really, I get what I like and CAN afford.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I buy what I find interesting. However, now that I am more involved in reading forums and such, what I find interesting has increased a great deal.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I buy what looks good to me. The only lines I've been a completist for have been Cybertron and Classics.

12. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    For G1, I try to be a completist as close as possible. For all the newer stuff, I just buy what I like.

13. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I try to limit myself to reissue G1 and Masterpiece/Alts as far as buying entire lines. I do buy some others like classics and movie but only a few of the figs I like the most. I perfer the reissues over vintage because I like the new box look. It is difficult and expensive to get NearMint/Mint boxes of the vintage stuff.

14. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mostly G1 Reissues (Encore) and G1 Inspired figures (Revoltech, Masterpiece, Robot Heroes). I also have a decent sized Alternators & Titanium Collection. For the main lines I usually buy just the characters in the particular show/movie with a few exceptions.

15. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

just the rare ones and the ones i like

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I get just the one's I like, and occasionally one or two for kitbash purposes (the reason I've bought 2 Classics Skywarps, and 3 Classics Ramjets). Classics is the only line so far that I've bought most of them. There are a lot of Animated figures I like, and almost all of the new Universe line is on my to-get list.

17. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I'm the broke kind of collector.:cry 

18. ponycorn

ponycorn Member

I collect and comics and toys from most major parts of the multiverse, excluding Beast era and hard to find Japan stuff. I am also a helpless sucker for random TF related things like thermos, stickers, kid's books, etc.

I'm an addict. I can't stop getting TFs and looking for them. I spend my lunch breaks going to Target, Walmart, and ToysRUs and I spend my weekends browsing through the couple of fleamarkets locally and to KB Toys because it's kind of far. Thankfully my husband shares my addiction.

I keep my comics in a surplus "footlocker" and my toy collection just got big enough I had to buy shelving for it.

19. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I get whatever figures I really like the look of, doesn't matter what line they are from. One thing I'm not really interested in is the old G1 stuff, although I do have a few of the Takara reissues. I'm more interested in the new stuff.

I am very thankful I'm not a completist. Don't have the space or money or need for that many toys.

I'm a casual collector I guess.

20. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    I've been a bit scatterbrained with the movie I just got the ones that I really wanted for example I didn't get ALL of the Wal-mart exclusives but I bought all 4 Starscreams. Now with Animated I want to be a completist, but being a poor college student we'll see how that goes. In terms of the other stuff I just want the ones I like I don't need to have crappy figures, and random toys that are just repaints or non-cartoon molds