What kind of characters do you prefer for Botcon/Club exclusives?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Well known characters who have a lot of toys already
    (examples: Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream)

Obscure forgotten about characters who have only one or two toys to their name
    (examples: Punch/Counter-Punch, Dion, Flak, Banzai-Tron, Skyquake, Thunderclash, Weirdwolf)

Fiction only characters who have never had a proper toy before
    (examples: Elita-1, Alpha Trion)

Brand new characters who have never been seen before and likely never to be seen again
    (examples: Landshark)

Me, I would go for obscure forgotten about characters and characters only previously seen in the fiction. I get a kick out of seeing someone who hasn't had a toy in twenty years to get a new toy (even if the new toy is just a repaint).

With brand new characters, there's little or nothing connecting me to them. I've not read the Wings of Honor comic but Landshark is just a new character for the sake of having a new character it seems. He has no history and could probably have been replaced by an existing character and fulfilled the same role. Brand new characters are only okay when they fill a unique role that nobody else could have filled.

Although Shattered Glass characters are mirror versions of the regular characters, I still consider them versions of the regular characters. Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, Starscream and others; all have a lot of toys already. The SG concept worked well and I like what few stories I can read of it but using such high profile characters is not something I want them to do often. Botcon 06 was okay though. Despite the characters being well known, it had been a while since many had gotten new toys so I didn't have a problem with them. Besides, they all had vehicle alternate modes so it made them fresher than if they had been repainted from toys with a similar beast alt mode that they had in the show.

2. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, I haven't bought any BotCon exclusives (yet), but this is the type of toys I like seeing from BotCon - obscure characters that are less likely to get normal toys from Has/Tak.

3. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nothing, I hate exclusives :p  ,

4. F18Starscream

F18Starscream Commander of the Skies

News Credits:
    Something that's affordable.:rolleyes:  I know it will cost an arm and a leg:banghead:  We will see ;) 

5. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the whole I'm happier if well known characters aren't overused, but it depends on the context. Thundercracker, Thrust and Dirge were great, if Hasbro weren't going to do them then I'm glad to have got them. Having said that non are A list to start with.

DOFP worked to because it was a new take on the characters and crated a BW trilogy. Shattered Glass was OK, if your going to get the absolute most well known A list characters in a set this is probably the best way to make it stand out from the next mass retail version of them.

Obscure have been my favourites so far. Dreadwind, Huffer, Leozack, Skyquake, Banzaitron all great.

Fiction only characters are great too, though bring on the comic characters.

I don't mind brand new characters at least in theory, but if all they have is a tech spec and one comic to bring to life a new character then he or she needs to be the star of the comic. It has to be like the IDW spotlights or FPs Nightbeat comic. The rest of the set acting as a supporting cast. Landshark was a waste of time for me. He didn't do anything to warrant his existence. Even if he'd been created as redshirt to be randomly killed off or given a heroic death that would have been almost something. (actually maybe that did happen, it took me a good 4 or 5 attmpts to get all the way through it and it didn't stick in my memory afterwards, thankfully)

And if you aren't going to do something interesting with the character:
    Don't make it the largest toy in the set.
    Don't give it an uninspiring slightly drab colour scheme.
    Don't make its drab colour scheme look like just a greener version of the retail version orange scheme which at least was a bit bright.
    Don't give it a name similar to the retail release.

The mould would have made a great Thunderclash, it would have worked as a leader, the toy would have been bright and interesting and Landshark could have used the Rodimus mould and ... been there too.

Erm, sorry for the rant. Landshark annoys me I'd rather have had a boxset that was $30-40 cheper and comic with one less character crammed in (or with one of the far more interesting obscure decepticons instead).

Sadly I'm not convinced FP can do new characters. The club had 5 comics to try and make the combiner chaps interesting and I still don't know whose who as most of the focus was on the Prime/Megatron/Alpha Trion of whichever universe they were in.

For how to do new characters see Fractyl and Packrat. A great stand alone comic. Good toys, New and interesting colours.

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bogatan, I like the cut of your jib.

7. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Exactly :) . Characters like Devcon, G1 Arcee (based on the G1 Blurr mold?), Classics Arcee, BW characters who never got figures etc. Why aren't I working for FunPub? :lol 

8. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Well, I can't afford anything either. But that doesn't stop me appreciating which characters do get released as toys.

9. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. My favorites have been Deathsauras, Weirdwolf, Dreadwind, Nightbeat, Banzai-Tron, Leozack, Skyquake, and Thunderclash. I'm really looking forward to Punch/Counterpunch, too.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My preference would be for obscure characters who only have a few toys and/or are unlikely to be produced as a mass release. Partially because it makes it easy for me to skip those sets if I don't care about the obscure characters in question, but also because it avoids all the massive nerd-rage that comes from releasing high-profile characters as BotCon exclusives (eg - the 07 Seekers and Dreadwind). Another option I like is alternate versions of established characters, such as the "Dawn of Futures Past" set, with Cybertronian bodies for the BW cast.

11. Mastodon

Mastodon Well-Known Member

Obscure characters, especially if they were originally only available in Japan. I am pulling for Metalhawk and Artfire in the 2010 set!

12. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'm just going to be honest, and I know this is going to piss a bunch of people off, and I'm genuinely sorry for that, but it's the truth.

I prefer exclusives that are in high demand after the convention, that people will pay an arm and a leg for on the secondary market, and that means either high profile regular characters (i.e. 2007 Seekers), or new twists on regular characters (i.e. Shattered Glass or Dawn of Futures Past). Look, I'm not the scalper guy who buys up all the rare toys I see at the store to sell on ebay. I look down on them just like anybody else. But while I like the concept of exclusives in general (in the way a small company can/will produce more fan pleasing remolds/repaints) and might like to keep them if there's no significant resale value, I cannot find any way to justify owning a remold of a $20 toy that's selling for four figures. When I decided to sell my DOFP Megatron/Waspinator set I recouped the entirity of all of my costs for Botcon that year (including travel, food, etc), plus some. For two toys. That's pretty awesome.

Some people can justify and be perfectly happy owning single toys worth several hundred or even a thousand dollars, and I think that's awesome for them, but I am not one of them. And so, deep down, if I'm really honest with myself, my preference is for me to get to attend the convention for free on someone else's dime. At this point in my life I care more about the people and the atmosphere than I do about the toys. And for that to happen, that means higher profile characters.

13. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I would prefer some of the fan made ones. Like that Universe cars made into the Stunticon set. :D  And I would like some characters not done before also. I wouldn't mind a Moonracer, Firestar(Fembot set). I doubt the club would do that since Airrazor didn't sell well.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think the obscure characters that don't have a chance in hell of a Hasbro release are a better way to go.

It's good for the fans that can go to Bot Con because they get figures that are a nice little extra to all the other good stuff at Bot Con.

For people that can't afford to go they aren't missing out on a must have part of their collection.

Really hope they never have anything like Seeker-gate again. Just hard to have a winner out of something like that when you change Bot Con from a fun extra for fans to something that divides fans into have and have not.

15. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I love the obscute forgotten about characters. Along the lines of Banzaitron or Weirdwolf.

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Anyone who can fit in my Classics collection. :D 

17. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

You know, I agree completely with KidDynamite. They're exclusives for a reason. Given that these sets go strictly to fans at a fan convention, they should be a draw. There should be a good to great amount of interest in those figures. Otherwise, what's the point? You traveled across the country and spent hundreds of dollars for toys that are uninteresting and unappealing? Come on.

And mind you, I'm saying this as someone who hasn't gone to a BotCon and doesn't own a single BotCon exclusive figure.

18. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

Seconded! :D 

I have to agree. Botcon is purely for fans. Having an highly appreciated and demanded figure as an exclusive is good thing for us fans because it at least gives FP a greater chance at being able to sell all of the figures and to not lose their shorts on any figures. A highly desired exclusive figure is a good thing for them and for us because it means they will be able to continue giving us great figures. To quote a fellow board member from Seibertron.com, "You gotta pay to play."

19. TheMonarch

TheMonarch Still arching Venture

News Credits:
    This.

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    #2 and #3 ... oh, and-
    That said, my fave FP sets so far have been '06 (Cybertronian BW) '07, and the '09 Razorclaw/Elita extras, and I'm strongly hoping for an eventual set of unreleased/unannounced Animated toys. (Autotrooper, Slipstream, Glyph, etc.)