What kind of characterization would you like in TF3?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Attacker_Prime, Nov 14, 2009.

?

What kind of characterization would you like to see in TF3?

1. Characterization and lines for most of the characters

31 vote(s)
    67.4%
  2. Characterization? Who cares! Give me action

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Characterization-TF2 characters+some new ones-the rest fight like in LOTR:Return of the King

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

In TF1, we've had a decent amount of characterization and less robot action, but in ROTF we had more robot action and less characterization, although in my opinion both movies were great. What kind of characterization would you like in TF3?

I'd like some decent characterization and lines for most of the characters, and when I say "most" I mean except the Protoforms, who, along with the new characters should fight in a huge fight, like in Lord of the Kings: Return of the King.

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm going to say some character for all. It doesn't have to be deep or anything but it does seem a darn shame they would spend so much time, money, and effort on the robots only for some of the robots to have nothing to say at all. I don't need a full character history but a few hints about the robot's personality without having to read the back of the toy packaging would be nice.

3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I think that TF3 will improve upon ROTF the same way that ROTF improved upon TF1.

4. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    A couple lines here and there should be fine. A good balance between action and characterization. Not too much, nor too little of one or the other.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Its understandable that some minor characters are going to have less characterization than major ones, but actual characterization is necessary, rather than just "I AM A ROBOT PEW PEW OK THX BYE" repeated for a dozen or so bots.

6. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

(tilts head, eyes narrow)

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    The humans like Sam should be more like side characters und the Transformers should get more Screentime and characterization. They are the stars, not the humans.

8. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

So... you're saying TF3 will have...

• More testicle jokes, bare ass flashing, farting robots and humping dogs?
    • Three times the number of Transformers and 2/3 less characterization for all of them?
    • A still mute Bumblebee in a story set four years after the first movie?
    • Sam's mom on an acid trip?
    • Rushed SFX scenes with badly composited CG, taking away from the well-done realism in TF1?
    • The revelation that The Fallen had a master who was really the founder of the Decepticons and the mother of the "hatchlings", with Megatron demoted even further?
    • Twice as much screen time for the twins and their long lost triplet brother, taking away screen time from more worthy characters?
    • A plot that ends up making the third installment a live-action blend of the G1 episodes "Sea Change" and "The Girl Who Loved Powerglide" with vulgar, juvenile humor and explosions?

9. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Well, I was mostly referring to the characterization improvements (which is what this thread is about), not technical aspects, plot points, or secondary human characters. And since the improvements ROTF featured were things such as:

• Expanding upon the heroism and bravery of Optimus, including willingly fighting even though being severely overmatched, not to mention his logical thinking behind not sharing information with our military

• Showing how the Decepticons would kill a member of their own team without a second thought

• Showing how the Decepticons killed thousands of people and threatened to destroy whole cities if not given what they want

• Portraying Starscream as a coward of a character who either fights from a distance or runs away

• Expanding Ironhide's war veteran attitude and Bumblebee's bravery and competence as a soldier

• Introducing 5 new characters with distinct and clearly defined character traits

So what I was saying was that I expect TF3 to expand existing characters even further, and introduce new ones with their own specific characterizations, while also remembering that just because a characterization isn't what I want it to be doesn't mean it's not one.

10. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    Honestly, if that was the movie I'd be satisfied in a comedic way.

11. Ash from Carolina

I don't know I think we had steps forward and steps back.

In some ways you had improvements like the interaction between Starscream and Megatron. On the other hand we had lots of Autobots and Decepticons we know nothing about.

I think the trick is going to be to get character to more than just Starscream, Megatron, Prime, Bumblebee and the twins. Although given the character of the twins I kind of wonder if we aren't better off with robots that say nothing at all.

12. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    More characterization please.

13. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Oh God no.

14. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

The thing about characterization is that you need it, or the action hasn't got impact.

In an action movie, you haven't got a lot of time, so a lot of your characters are simple, or tied to existing archetypes - the "veteran", the "kid", the "mad scientist"...but you still need that!

15. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Good points, and those were improvements. I wish they'd made better use of Ironhide, Ratchet and Sideswipe rather than putting the twins in there though.

I couldn't help giving a tongue-in-cheek response before to your previous post. :) 

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The twins are better than Ironhide, Ratchet, Arcee and Sideswipe.

Fact.

17. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    As what we know of.
    Seriously, Bay completly hid the other Autobots talents. With the expception of Prime, Bee, Sideswipe and The Twins.

Anyway, a couple of new Transformers with a few lines, every other (maybe just Autobots) before them should have five-seven lines max.

18. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    I want to hear Jolt and more of Sideswipe.

19. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

Yes plz to more characterization! Let's just hope we'll get some though.
    Although it does helps if they don't make the characters disapear i.e. Barricade, Wheelie, The Twins and Jetfire for a time being(they kept him out of the Egypt fight for so long I ALMOST forgot he was in the movie).
    Dialouge for the Transformers instead of them being background characters standing around looking cool.
    Ratchet had 3 lines in ROTF,was bummed he didn't do much seeing as in the first movie he never really did anything to distinguish himself from the others well enough, except for the power line scene.
    Sideswipe 6 lines, Jolt 0, Arcee 2/3? Constructicons just yelled out convulted things when battling. Nice treatment of the new characters -.-

And yes I counted :p !

20. Ash from Carolina

I agree in films like Predator it has more impact when the Predator killed off Dillon, Eliot, Blain, Billy, Poncho, and Hawkins than if they had been generic solider 1, generic soldier 2, and generic soldier 3 with no lines or only one line. Dutch and the Predator still got to be the stars of the film but it wasn't all carried by them the whole film.

Heck war movies have been giving character to small roles forever so given Bay's love of military things it's rather odd he doesn't use the old character tricks from the war movies.