Customs: What is your wall or handicap?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by anovasinn, Aug 31, 2008.

1. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

hello all i have been working on several projects lately and broadening my horizons. so i have been painting things like the hulk ,thunder cats mumra, a wwf wrestler, as well as working on some wips and commission pieces.

so in my efforts to broaden my horizons i recently bought a reaper miniature a half naked angel.
    anyways i hit a wall i think my vision is to weak to paint some of the fine detail like the facial features even with my magnifying jewelers visor i can not seem to nail it. i am maxed out on the magnification as well if i get an add on lens i will have to hold it so close i would get paint on it. i have poor vision and wear thick glasses so i think this may be something i can not over come. time will tell doing others of this type of figure. as long as the literal head aches stop

has anyone else found a limit or wall that they may not be able to over come?

oh also i am terriable messy

Attached Files:

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hmmm...only thing I can think of, at the moment, is that I can come up with many great ideas for kitbashes, but don't have the money, and sometimes talent, to pull all, or even most of them off. I still post most of my digibashes and ideas. That way they can have the chance of inspiring someone else to do that idea if I'm not able to.

3. Oculophage

Oculophage Likes shiny objects.

Ebay:
  4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'd say your solution lies here.

As for your discussion inquiry, I have mild hand tremors sometimes. Painting can be difficult with that at times. I hope my work shows that I continually strive to overcome that though :) 

Aside from that, I get ear infections every now and then. My operations cease at that point. If you've ever had one, you know what I'm talking about.

5. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Never would have guessed. Wow. There are so many on this board that have a lot to deal with. That makes your work that much more inspiring.

Bu on this topic. I would say one is my patience. I would really like to build a transforming movie prime from scratch, but lets face it, I never will. HAHA!!!

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

As Redline and I have discussed several times, my main issue tends to be my constant stream of ideas and lack of time to do them all.
    In my case, this results in a lot of started bashes, and very few finished ones. I get the idea, and feel I have to start now before I forget about, no matter what else I might be doing.

At the moment, I'm trying to focus on finishing some of my older projects (trying to tidy up my Classics Megatron at the mo) rather than embarking on new ones. I'm taking a leaf out of his book and compiling a file of 'to do' projects. 'Course the file will inevitable expand much more quickly than my list of finished works... :p 

7. anovasinn

ah why i forgot about those i will never know. my jewlers visor is about twice as stronge as one of those lamps but maybe the two as a combo will work. i will try and borrow my friends lamp first before i go and spend 40.00 though.

damn bro i would have never known based on the quality of your work.

you are not alone i have at lrast 10 unfinished model kits. as far as unfinished bots i would say at least 5. the model kits i have little passion for anymore. but my bots i am proud to say 3 out of the 5 are suitable for display just no play lol:D 

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    my ideas always hit me faster than I can complete them as well. But, I write down synopsis of these so I won't have to worry about forgeting the important parts. Its like writing lyrics is to a song writer, good inspiration seems to hit me at least opportune moments, so I make sure I get the idea down so that when I am actually ABLE to get to it, I still know what exactly I was going to do to pull it off.

The coolest thing is that half the time my ideas are complicated, and involve toys that I've never possessed, and have had to ask friends to tell me if they can do certain things with that toy just so I can know that an idea will work or not :lol  but it works, don't it? I did that with Omega Supreme :D 

9. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:

This is me all the way! :rolleyes: I've actually had to pack my non-immediate bashes and haul 'em away to my mom's house! I have a few commissions and a couple "spec" figures I must complete soon. Also there are 2 for me I would like to wrap up.
    One cycle I find myself getting into is when I accomplish a feature or technique, I feel the urge to revisit ALL my other WIPs and see how I can apply it. And once I get my mind set on something, I can be pretty relentless in my pursuit of accomplishing it. This leads to the side effect of having projects back up. I mean, why can't I make my Legends class figures have light up eyes? :banghead: 
    I also tend to hold projects 'til several are at the same "stage", because my workspace is limited, and each stage requires different tools, setups, and such.:wink: 
    I think also I get so into the project, I almost hate to see it end, I really LOVE the process, just as much as the product.:lol 
    So that's my "wall". But good news is, I'm cleaning a few up for paint this week!!:D 

10. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I'm with you guys. I have ideas, no time to do em, then I see some guy on here or ebay or whatever throw something up and instead of doing my own version I tend to steer clear and wait for the next idea. That's happened more than a few times this year actually. There is something about being first, or one of the first, to paint or bash a figure a certain way that is fun and makes it feel like an artform, vs you know, just repainting Alt Ricochet yellow and calling him Bumblebee (which I have done, so not intended as a slam at anyone).

My big wall is around that though, working on more artistic, involved bashes, vs just repaints. Even labor intensive repaints can take a lot of time, so it's not necessarily a lack of time that is the problem, but getting started. Stuff like some reshell ideas, or I have a Devestator on the backburner for over a year now, and every time I would start to work on it again someone else would come along and raise the bar. Then F_R just came a blew the bar the $&%^ up, so now I don't even know if I want to bother with it at all this point because I feel like enough has been said about the character by now - maybe I should look to do something/one else?

But again, not wanting to ape someone as much as possible, I'm back to the drawing board to come up with new ideas (and trying to manage the time to do em!).

I've got a bunch of stupid little projects I never finish either, like really simple stuff I just got bored with. Painting CC Bumblebee with metallic parts etc, just pathetic having parts lying around for 6 months :) 

I'd also like to get away from Transformers some too, maybe for 6 months (aside from an occasional easy thing here and there) and do other stuff, like sculpt my perfect Venture Bros set etc.

Interesting thread though, and glad to see some of you have similar hurdles. Bashing, like a lot of other artforms, can get to be a very solitary thing, thank goodness for this board to unite us weirdo's in our endeavors and give us an outlet to kindred spirits.

11. big hank

News Credits:
    I think you sell yourself short, You would be presenting your interpretation of said character, and that makes it unique, even if it is similar to others. For example with Devastator, We all know there are a few guys that can't be touched, but I am really anxious to see TerrorconKing's movie version! I am also giving a TFA version a shot,too

As the young kids today say: Troo Dat! Yes, I am grateful for this site, and find both motivation and support. :thumb 

12. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Yeah I think everyone brings something to it, and I would definitely have my own touches, but like I said some of the thrill is in blazing new ground too. Something like a Devvy feels a little too much like playing catchup now.

Of course there are plenty of other combiners out there who've yet to get a ton of love hint hint...

That said, I am looking forward to see some Animated Devestators too, I know more than a couple guys are working on one, that'll be great to see.

13. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Patience is my wall. I've gotten better, making sure I wait until paint is cured, stuff like that. But I think some of my ideas get a bit lackluster cause I don't take the time to flush them out fully.

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That's a good way to look at it. The other way, unless you're making to sell, is to consider what you want to own.

Look how many Classics Thundercracker repaints we've seen. And we'll continue to see them for a while yet, I daresay (I haven't finished mine yet :p ). That's because people want their own Thundercracker, and since they can't buy one, they'll make it. And each of them puts their own spin on it, but in the end it's because that's the figure they want. Somebody else may have done the same thing, but they did it for them. You're doing it for you.

15. luke4

luke4 crocon

i get to many ideas and then i dont hav the time or i get side tracked... thats y i havnt finished anything and posted it here....

16. anovasinn

just make devistator outa tonka trucks thats what i am going to do lmao.:D  i can relate though i understand what you mean i feel limited at times because i want to present something original at the moment. as far as doing other lines do it side by side with your other work. btw i can't wait to see all your venture bro's. i live for that show and wish the season was not over

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks for the props man; I really appreciate it. I've always felt that having an obstacle in the path is one thing, but how we overcome them speaks volumes about us as persons. :) 

I am seeing a lot of persons here comment on the aspect of time. After I had posted, I found myself thinking, "Did I really post on everything I meant to?" I concluded that I didn't, which is why I returned to the thread. I felt it a disservice to simply edit my post since it is a new topic.

I'll say two things about time:

1. Time is an obstacle for every person, but everyone gets 24 hours of it each day.
    2. Time is the most valuable commodity one possesses.

This being the case, I've found a few things that help me out:

1. Implementing methods to be a better manager of time. While I've certainly not perfected this, a few of the things I do to help me out:

* I have made a "to-do" list. On this list, I essentially have all of the conceptual ingredients that I need to create my work. Notes about base molds, identities, etc. are found in this. I have this in two forms: 1.) a sketchbook and 2.) a spreadsheet. The sketchbook helps me to draw ideas, since I often think visually and the spreadsheet helps me keep a catalog of sorts.

* Creating systems and organization. I have each of my wips labeled, noting my plans or at least what things are, etc. Also, things as simple as organizing your tools and paint are very helpful. Certain rituals are beneficial too. I always like to completely clean my table off after I finish a piece, just so I can look at a clean, white space after I've splatter paint all over my workspace. Things like this help me keep my mind clearer.
    2. Practicing patience. In my youth, I had a decent amount of impatience I saw this as problematic to my life, so once I graduated high school, I decided I would work on this. When I'd be in a fast food lane, I'd practice patience. When I was in a department store, I'd practice it. While driving, I'd practice it. I also allowed how I was practicing patience impact how I interacted with people. Notably in checkout lines, when in line, how I interact with others around me in line would be affected as well as when I finally got my turn to purchase my items. I am continually surprised with how a cashier who's had a long day is refreshed simply with someone being patient with them, exercising calmness and kindness. People (including self) are all positively affect by this. I'd say that how I live my life impacts my artwork at my customs table. :) [/I]

I hope those things can help out with what we've been discussing. :thumb 

Radicons . . . CUSTOMIZE!

18. big hank

News Credits:
    SQ7 Stop the multi-posts man! You're freaking me out!:eek: 

:lol 

19. anovasinn

lmao i feel my patience is honed rather well however i get distracted rather easy which can be just as bad. mainly i think it is my kids because i remember when i was younger i could work on a project all day long ,and at the end of the day wonder what happened to my day.

20. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

My flaws are well I'm a newbie at this thing and I fear if a make a single mistake well shits going to hit the fan and my vision in my right eye is poor like in blurry. So those are my walls or handicap, but still it doesn't stop me from learning from the best.