What is your policy on opening figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ThatOneBot, Mar 18, 2017.

?

Do you open your figures?

1. Yes

124 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  3. Depends

18 vote(s)
    12.6%
  1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    99.9% of the time i open all my figures i would only keep a very very few figures sealed. Those being extremely rare or known sufferers of GPS. especially if a MISB Black Zarak was to by some miracle fall into my hands.

• Like Like x 1
  2. myrrh

myrrh Well-Known Member

...for quite a while i used to carefully peel plastic from the cardback, enabling the preserved bubble to be resealed without exhibiting egregious damage to its general appearance, but during the beast wars / beast machines era i started razoring open the plastic bubbles instead, preserving the cardback's original appearance at the expense of irrevocably damaging its plastic bubble...

...i've since reverted to peeling plastic from the cardbacks again, as i've found that my razor-opened bubbles don't hold up as well in storage...i wish hasbro's blister packaging were as painless to deal with as takara's boxes!...

3. ling4

ling4 Member

my minds changing. i used to open all of them, but years later i found some white figures turning yellow! so now, i open it and play it and then sell it and finally buy a new one to display for most of them.o_O 

4. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

When I was a young collector there weres so many Transformers I wanted but just couldn't afford it. I wanted to afford a big collection, until I could afford it and found that I have a lot of collectibles around with no space for all and always want to buy new things. o_O 

Be careful what you wish for, the plastic hunger will never be quenched. :D 

5. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I go both ways ;) 

IMG_20150210_135044379.jpg IMG_20150210_135010903.jpg IMG_20150210_135818035.jpg IMG_20150210_134802822.jpg IMG_20140522_135854_653.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    I open them all, otherwise you're just collecting boxes. I have no desire for my house to look like a branch of TRU.

• Like Like x 3
  7. GoldbugTM2

GoldbugTM2 Right Hand Of Primus

Does this mean you get four for triple changers and 7 (or 8) for Sixshot?

8. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

Everything gets opened. Toys are meant to be played with. Granted adulting is a hard and busy life - I don't recommend it - so my toys don't get played with very much. But they still get played with.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blot

Blot Terrorcon

News Credits:
    I open them. But if I were to somehow come into a possession of a sealed G1 specimen, I'd probably keep it that way.

10. we_are_forest

we_are_forest I blame Powerglide

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    I open mine but used to keep a few MOSC due to going through a phase of keeping them in their packaging so to appreciate their packaging in the future.

Also, I kept all the packaging to my already opened figures up until a year ago. I threw most of it in to the recycling; keeping only instructions, packaging to my favourite figures and MP boxes.
    The stuff which I collect isn't exactly rare and the packaging stuck in the loft was only taking up space and wouldn't add much value to an already opened figure.

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I use to think that all collectors kept their figures sealed. My first BotCon I was actually shocked people opened their figures.

For awhile I kept everything sealed. My first internet name was "StayingInTheBox." It wasn't until after ROTF that I gave in and opened my entire Animated collection. The rush I got was incredible. From this point I've typically opened up everything.

I get the appeal of keeping things sealed. There is a certain charm of preserving a figure in its "on the shelf" state. Those AFA G1 collections are spectacular and if I had that amount of cash, I'd do it. I definitely think I'll own at least one AFA G1 figure someday.

12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I open ALL OF THE FIGURES and only keep the boxes if they are actual boxes that can be reused for storage. I throw away all blisters.

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The rush you felt was probably due to all the plastic fumes you inhaled when you opened up the entire collection.

*runs*

• Like Like x 2
  14. Kingfish333

Kingfish333 Well-Known Member

No, they are only in one alt mode.

15. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I open them all up. If it is a figure I want to keep sealed, I usually buy two. One to open and one to keep sealed. I have considered getting the PE 30th Anniversary movie sets to keep sealed but I already have all the figures in those sets. Pricing and display space are the only things holding me back.

16. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Up until 2012 when hurricane Sandy flooded 3/4 of my collection i was and misber. I only opened something I had a double of that I really liked. Now? Pretty much everything gets opened up and display. Much cooler looking at the actual figure then the box, especially MPs.

I do have a few things now misb like the Unite Warriors sets and sdcc fort max, however displays with the actual figures is so much more fun.

I do keep the boxes in storage though.

17. geekatron prime

geekatron prime your sister's nephew's cousin's former roomate TFW2005 Supporter

I mostly open all mine, just some that I don't. Usually a double, sometimes the artwork and the toy go so well together. Like to look at those from time to time. But can still play with its twin that I have opened.

18. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

I found a solution of the many alternate versions of Sixshot, considering several versions of the character.

Got 3 TR Sixshot, 3 Asia Exclusive G1 Sixshot and 3 Clone Droid Sixshot :D 

19. kmopotato

kmopotato spends too much on this shit

I'm a toy collector, not a box collector.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I have unopened figures it's either because of laziness or I changed my mind after I bought it and I'm planning on reselling later.