What is your overall opinion on TMNT 2003?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by AniProwl, Nov 23, 2009.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Last Saturday, an era of fandom ended when Peter Laird and 4Kids ended three continuities in on epic special. This special sprouted from one of the longest running cartoons of this decade. Now, that TMNT 2003 ended. What is your overall opinion?

It will be one of my favorite cartoons of all time. The original cartoon was one of the first cartoons I watched.

This one is better in my opinion. It has a right amount of action, drama, and humor.

I liked most of the characters on the show ranging from the turtles, Splinter, Shredder, April, Stockman, and Casey to new characters like Bishop and Hun.

I liked the first three seasons equally. Season 4 and Fast Forward is when it almost went to seasonal rot while Season 5 and Back to The Sewers were okay.
    Here are my favorite episodes:
    S1:
    "Things Change","The Way of Invisibility","Shredder Strikes" two parter,Shredder Strikes Back" two parter, "Tales of Leo", "Return to New York" three parter"

S2: "Secret Origins" three parter, "The Ultimate Ninja", "Return to the Underground", "City at War" three parter, "Rouge in The House" two-parter,

S3:"Worlds Collide" three parter, "Nobody's Fool", "New Blood", "The Lesson", "The Christmas Aliens", "The Darkness Within", "Mission of Gravity", "Hun on the Run", "Same As It Never Was", "The Real Word" two parter, "Bishop's Gambit", "Exodus" two-parter

S4: "Dragon's Brew", "I, Monster", "Grudge Match", "Bad Day", "Aliens Among Us", "Dragons Rising", "Prodigal Son", "Insane in the Membrane"

S5:"New World Order, Part 2", "Enter the Dragons, Part 2"

FF: "Obsolete", "Bishop to Knight", "Bad Blood", "The Journal", "Timing Is Everything", "Milk Run", "The Fall of Darius", "Turtle X-Tinction", "Head of State", "DNA is Thicker than Water", "Zixxth Sense"

BTTS: "The Engagement Ring", "Hacking Stockman", "Identity Crisis", "SuperQuest","City at Siege", "Wedding Bells and Bytes"

What about you guys?
    What did you think of it

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    To be honest, I've only seen a couple of episodes of this show - never had the time to watch it I guess.

I liked what I saw, though. Art was good, and I liked the more serious tone of the series. I have fond memories of the old Turtles show (my favorite when I was a kid, even more than Transformers:) ), but I think I might like this one even more if I ever get around watching it all.

3. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I totally agree with Digilaut. It is the same case with me as well (apart from old TMNT being more favorite than TFs). But the thing with the old TMNT is that it is remembered for the mostly goofy episodes of later seasons. I watched season 1 episodes about a few months back (the first five episodes), and they were on par with 2003 TMNT show, with a somewhat better humor. Shredder and his minions were dangerous in those episodes, not bumbling fools of the later seasons. The quality of the animation was also alot better.

Anyway, TMNT 2003 is worthy cartoon series, I regret not buying the 2003 figures when I had the chance (anyone selling their's maybe?).

4. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    This show used to be my all time favorite until other things came along.

Still love it.

5. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was one of the better cartoons made, ever. I haven't seen every episode, but hope to one day.

6. jackets

jackets Gamer/Anime fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    best cartoons ever i liked the series ever season 5(2003),BTTS,and FF cause of the dark turtles

7. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Ehhh.

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I would be surprised if this was the last of the TMNT franchise. Aren't we suppose to be getting a new quasi live action movie? I thought it was a good series, but I'm certainly in no way losing sleep that it's over.

9. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    I liked it.

10. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    loved the first 5 seasons, Fast Forward was meh, Back to the Sewers was a LOT better, but not as good as the first 5 seasons... but the finale was great :) 

11. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    The show's heart was in the right place, but I think the story got too convoluted for its own good. Especially with Shredder's "true" origin and the whole Men In Black/deepthroat/super-secret-gov't-agency-whatever crap.

In the end, I think they were trying too hard. It was campy, but not campy enough. On the other hand, it tried to be edgy but never really pushed it hard enough. There was a balance to be made between the comics and the 1980's series but they never really found it. The recent CG movie hit it a little closer to the mark, but it was too little too late. Maybe the Turtles need to lie low for a couple of years and take a fresh swing at the gig down the road.

12. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    Average to good.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well my opinion on that show remains the same, and it was pretty much sealed when I watched "Things Change". The Black and White comics were being told on TV, and aside from Shredder's Origin, it followed pretty damn close. The Shredder Origin didn't bother me for three reasons.

1) Because it put a twist on a story I already knew by heart
    2) it allowed for Return to New York's Shredder beheading to be possible, which came at a time before I knew he was a robot, so I was shocked and pleased at the same time
    3) because they did manage to weave Saki and Yoshi's love story dispute eventually.

Not only did this series remove the pupils from the turtles' eyes when they wore their mask, not only did they do so much justice to The Shredder Returns, by making it almost a frame by frame recreation (sans snow storm in favor of lightning storm), but Usagi Yojimbo (the only comic book I still collect) made a few appearances, including one where we visited his world.

Hell even the Mikey Xmas special was taken from the mirage comics.

It wasn't perfect, but after the last episode (before the Time Warped show) I felt like TMNT could disappear forever and I would be ok (only wishing that the last CG movie had been about Shredder and not Winter).

That show did more justice to TMNT than any show has done to Transformers, with Animated finally coming close.

disclaimer: I enjoyed the 1987 TMNT, and I still collect the DVDs, but at the time the show was on the air, I was already a fan of the comics, and seeing the contrast between the two made me long for what ended up coming true in 2003. So yes, I have nostalgia for 80's cartoon, but not enough that I couldn't easily let go of it in 03 when the show I had been wanting for years, finally aired.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009