What is your opinion about the movie robot designs?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Hyperoptic, Oct 22, 2009.

?

What is your opinion about the movie robot designs?

1. I LOVE the movie designs!

125 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. I like the movie designs

58 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. I’m indifferent about the movie designs

12 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. I don’t like the movie designs

16 vote(s)
    7.2%
  5. I HATE the movie designs!

12 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I’m really curious about getting some numbers about this question. So please vote and keep discussions civil…

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I like them. Starscream bugged me at first with his robo-chicken design, but he's since grown on me. The bug/beast like Decepticons are a good juxtaposition to the Autobots humanoid-ish forms.

3. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

I love the movie designs. So much character put into them, and they look very realistic.

4. simonatmac

simonatmac The stop motion maker

Ebay:
    Dito. My complain is they are so complicated to transform...

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I like em, but I must say that it's been an acquired taste. NONE of them have blown my socks off, but I do enjoy them for what they are. Also, I do think they've provided the source material for some really cool toys.

One of the most notable things that I like and am glad to see is Bumblebee grow up some. It's really cool to see him as a Camaro. I like the VW Beetle version of course, but I certainly don't want to see some of my favorite characters forever pigeon holed into certain things like Bumblebee had been over the years. It's neat to see some new things too. :) 

6. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like them. Some of my favorite designs are Prime, Megs, Ironhide and Sidewipe. I like BB design but it's not very BB. My least favorites are Stascream, Mixmaster and the Arcee bikes.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I like them. I like the attention to detail they show; I get the sense that they are definitely solid and real.

8. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Love them (or at least, most of them). Do wish some of the bots had more recognizable parts from older incarnations (for example, I really like Ironhide's design, but I would have liked him to be a dark red with yellow stripe), but overall really fond of them.

The only thing I don't like is that the Decepticon side sometimes seems a bit too organic/insecty. The scene in the Nemesis from ROTF looked like fricking Alien!

I think it's great we now have more or less three general styles of Transformers: very stylistic Animated ones, the in the middle G1/A/E/C/Universe ones, and the highly complex Movie ones.

My favorites: Prime, Starscream, Ratchet, Bumblebee, Arcee.

9. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I chose "don't like", because HATE is too strong. I don't dislike every single aspect about them but there's not a single one I like in it's entirety. I find many of them overly monochromatic, the way they're all comprised of tons and tons and tons of parts is ugly, and the general forms and proportions are just really odd a lot of the time - especially the legs and feet. Then there's the heads. That's some freaky shit. Even the good guys teeter more towards an aesthetic I find best described as "freaky alien monster." I know that "alien" was definitely the big focus for the designs and that may make sense to a degree but it only genericizes them for me.

I like Transformers primarily because of the characters, and I find how they've primarily been portrayed as sentient beings with a lot of quirky personalities akin to those you might find in humans a big part of their charm. The movie Transformers are still sentient but the way they seem to visually push further from from humanoid features than many TFs of the past makes them harder to relate in that way. Sure, they have faces, arms, legs, fists, etc, but it's all done in a way that still says "hey we're dangerous robot aliens!" more so than anything, and there's so much going on with the designs that we're being hit over the head it. I feel that kind of works against how easily they are to relate to. No amount of goofy human phrases they might spit out can change that. I know the animators give it their best with the facial expressions, but it's still tough for me. I look at Bumblebee and I see something I'd probably be afraid of in person, not friends with.

I'm especially displeased with the villains, as they're even more monochromatic and focused on looking alien than the Autobots. There's so much attention to making them evil and monstrous that they appear visually interchangeable with any number of other evil/monstrous characters. You could show me designs like Megatron and Starscream, tell me they were background cannon fodder in some sci-fi shooter video game and I'd totally buy it. It doesn't really work for me.

To bat away the go-to assumption of anyone displeased with movie bots, none of this means I wanted G1 designs re-created to the letter. I don't have the crazy idea that big boxy robots with smooth surfaces and that's it would be the way to go, but I think what we got was an attempt to run so far in the other direction that it just got ugly and weird.

I'm sure many will disagree with me completely and might want to tell me how awesome everything I don't like actually is and give me a hundred reasons why it works better than anything else could have but I'm certainly not interesting in arguing. This is just how I feel. I don't care if people dig the designs. I wish I could. I'd be a much happier Transformers fan since these things are about all there is to look at these days.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  10. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Not sure I can really answer that in a one click poll, because I really like a few designs (Sideswipe, Prime, Bumblebee, Ravage and Ironhide), really cannot stand others. (Demolisher, Skorpinok Wheelie, Twins, Starscream) and am ambivalent about the rest. Overall I think the designs can sometimes come off as too confusing when in motion on screen, I find it very hard to tell who is who sometimes and what bit of them I'm looking at.

It's not my favorite TF aesthetic. I'm more of a Classics 2.0/Alternators man. I think they are a nice balance between realism and the classic TF look. But by no means do I hate every design and toy that's come out of the movie franchise, and there are some toys and designs that I really enjoy. ROTF Leader Prime and HA Bumblebee are wonderful things to behold.

I pretty much agree with both those points, though I think that had the TF character-writing in the movies been stronger, the first point may have been less of an issue for me. But as most of the Transformers had no discernible personality (IMHO, I know), they mostly just remained "bizzare ugly alien robots." I know what you mean about the Decepticons designs, they do have a "Drone Weapon System" vibe, to my eyes anyway. The strong sense of character identity usually present in a TF just isn't there for me in a lot of the designs.
    But its all eye of the beholder stuff, I know.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  11. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I love them. Best tf designs in ages. I really like how they transmit what the transformers are, alien robots. I like how they seem to be very complex machines with tons of moving parts. I don´t really care if others hate them or not, if other´s don´t like them, there´s plenty of transformers to go around in other lines.

12. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    I for one adore the designs, and I'm not speaking from a fan-girl's POV. No. I'm speaking honestly. They did something that was never done before. Designing robots with personalities, facial expressions, and full of emotion in those eyes of theirs when you look closely. It's like as if they're there, like they have a soul exisiting within them, like they are alive and breathing amongst the human actors.

Or maybe... the Transformers themselves are acting amongst the humans and are not even CGI at all. OH MY GOSH! How cool would that be!

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd prefer something different and less like the generic movie alien robot bug thing style that seems to be what they chose to go with. Personally I like the toy versions more than the onscreen versions because things get simplified going from one media to another and it takes some of the broken-up shattered junk look away. Some of the quirky stuff appeals to me when it's different in a clever way, but chicken legs get boring very quickly as more of the characters get them.
    I think mostly I just see these designs as actors that are playing the roles of the Transformers I prefer other designs of. Like you couldn't get the original guy to reprise his role so you either got someone that looked kinda like them or just recast in a totally new direction. They have the same character name and maybe design cues, but you know it's not the 'real' one.
    I'm never going to accept them to any great degree, but we're stuck with them so I'll just pick and choose what I do and don't like and ride it out until this particular design style gets old and dies.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I like them. I don't think they are perfect, but they are definitely good enough for me. Nothing really generic about them, imo. Each design has plenty of personality. It'll be interesting to see how the new bots look in TF3. Hopefully Megatron's design doesn't change again. Would be nice if Hasbro had the time to design a RotF Leader Prime level Leader class figure for Megs.

15. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like them. Don't love them, though, since there are a few aspects that do bother me.

16. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No good on the designs, I don’t think they represent the Transformers that gave them the opportunity to do a movie.

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I didn't mind them in the first film. Come the second film, however, myself and quite a few other people started having trouble telling robots apart. When it all comes down to it, I'd like designs that make each character near-totally unmistakable from the rest, especially to laypersons.

18. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

THIS.

In truth I feel pretty indifferent to the Bayformers designs. Some of them are good, yes; such as Prime, Bumblebee, Jazz, and ROTF Megatron. And some of the designs are just feeble like Starscream, Jetfire, and 2007 Megatron.
    A lot of the robots don't look very solid to me, (and when I say solid I mean sturdy) they obviously don't last very long in a fight, and the biggest problem is because they're made up of shattered bits of metal. Let's be honest; if the humans can kick your ass, then you're not built very well. LOL!
    I really don't mind the Bayformers being complicated, but most of them are simply over the top, and ridiculous. The words 'tone it down' are simply not their vocabulary.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I just don't like them.

Too busy and too thin for my taste. I'm more from a Gundam style school when it comes to big robots tearing the place up so the really thin look and the lack of an armored look just don't appeal to me. They seem more like how I'd make robot zombies look than robots.

The lack of painted parts or the choice of dull colors is getting pretty old as well. We can see engine parts and things like that but there just isn't that fun of enough parts showing to say I know what kind of car that is by looking at the robot mode.

While some people don't have a problem reading an expression in the faces they are just too busy for me to tell what a robot is thinking. That's just with the Autobots some of the Decepticons look like they got their face from a scrap heap so I have no idea what their expression is.

Ouch and I really really really don't like the unicycle design. It's hard enough to convince me these thin robots with no armor have survived millions of years of warfare, but my gods who would ride a unicycle into battle?

20. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i loved them toyally kick ass can't wait for tf3