What is your favorite Transformers series?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dr Kain, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

I'm sure there have been plenty of topics on this before, but whatever. What is your favorite Transformers series?

I have to say, even though I grew up on both G1 and Beast Wars, Animated to me is the definitive series. Sure, it may not have had the most favorable animation style, but it had a strong narrative, which I feel is far more important. It took the best ideas of every Transformers series before it and put it into one giant melting pot, which is one of the things I loved about it. It was especially nice when it gave G1 updated designs to characters, along with having homages to both G1 and Beast Wars. Not to mention having voice actors from the old series come back was an added bonus. Sure, as I said, it had its weak points, and there were some really strange episodes, but it was also nice to see Hasbro take a different approach and try something new with the series instead of playing it safe like they had with the Armada Trilogy.

Another thing I love were how the toys were 99% accurate to the design of the characters on the show, even down to the transformation. For me, that is key because even at 4, I never liked how some of my toys never looked anything like the guys on the show. Whether it was Galvatron being gray instead of purple, Ramjet/Thrust/Dirge not having proper looking cone heads, to simple things like mouths instead of plates like on Brainstorm. They were simplistic designs, with simplistic transformations, and yet, I feel they are some of the best Transformers toys out there. In fact, the show being prematurely cancelled has kind of ruined Transformers for me to the point that I have been getting rid of the majority of my collection that isn't Animated. I even watched all 98 episodes of G1 back in Jan hoping that would get my mood back into Transformers, but a las, it did not. The movies do not help either.

With that said, what series do you like the most and why?

2. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Animated

3. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    That's hard to say as a person who enjoyable transformers as a whole. Ill say my least favorite 2 are animated and beast machines. Just because of design. I wont buy the figures, and watching animated was painful until the plot proved itself.

That said, if I must choose, beast wars or cybertron. Likely beastwars more plot and better animation. Though I am currently enjoying the marvel g1 comics.

4. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Does really everyone ask every week in their own thread what series the folks here prefer? I skip this week's thread.

5. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Another one?
    Ok then, well, I guess i'll have to say Rescue bots. Surprise surprise

6. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Continuity? Movieverse.

Overall Fiction? Beast Wars.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'm tempted to post a different answer each time this topic gets a new thread.

This time, I will say Beast Machines.

What will my answer be next time this topic comes up? Wait a week and find out.

8. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Wow, the mods really need to start putting all of these threads together. Well, at least it gives me a lot of practice explaining why I like Beast Wars the best.

Beast Wars is my favorite Transformers series. It's characters were great, it's tone was just behind Prime and it's story telling was very good.

Season two of BW could quite possibly be the best season of Transformers ever. Between Dinobot's character ark and Megatron's plans, BW season two was wonderful. Aftermath/Coming of the Fuzors, Code of A Hero, The Agenda, everything about it was wonderful.

Season one and three aren't as good but are still very good. Season one was the worst but still enjoyable. The first few episodes are pretty bad but the season slowly gets better. It always has something bad but starts to surround them with good. Like the last few episodes would have been great except for the truce were everyone can beat the crap out of each other as long as they don't use guns. And even back when the writing was bad, the characters were still great.

Season three was very close to season two but just came short of it. There wasn't really an ongoing story which also resulted in fewer Predacon victories. There were a couple of bad episodes such as Go With the Flow. However, it does have the darkest tone (most of the time) and does have some really good episodes such as the finale Nemesis two parter.

Megatron II was one the greatest Megatrons ever. He was always plotting. Weather he's trying to rewrite the future or just undermining traitors, he always had a plot. He wasn't the most powerful Megatron ever and honestly, I like that. He felt like a real person, not a super soldier.

The biggest flaw the series has is the way it concluded the alien plot line. In short, it didn't. There was absolutely no reason why the Vok wouldn't keep trying to destroy Earth after the Predacons were destroyed and the Maximals left. Unless those two that Tarantulas killed were the only two. While it can be assumed that a fully trained and equipped Maximal strike force was sent back in time to deal with them after the Primal and co returned to Cybertron (and after they saved it in Beast Machines) but there was nothing in the show (or BM) that actually even indicated that. This can be blamed on the fact that the makers didn't know the show was ending and was already making Nemesis part one by time they found out the Nemesis two parter would be the end.

In the end, while the Vok were never defeated and the show was at times childish, I think Beast Wars is the best Transformers series.

9. ThatOneNerd

ThatOneNerd Wow, that's sax-y....

Probably G1.

But Prime is a close second for me too, and I have not seen Animated or Beast Wars yet though. I hope to get my hands on them at some point :p 

10. Snarl_2289

Snarl_2289 Well-Known Member

Transformers Prime & Beast Wars ! Two winners !

11. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Between Beast wars and Animated. Animated had an appealing art style and Beast Wars is, was, and always will be awesome to me.

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't like any of the cartoon series, but enjoy the G1 comics very much.

13. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Beast Wars

14. Dr Kain

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess. This is my first time actually entering the General Discussion in months, so I did not know a topic was posted last week. And this is the reasons why, this board has more dicks than Pamela Anderson sucked.

15. Dr Kain

You should definitely check out BW and Animated, they put Prime to shame. I hate Prime. I stopped watching it after 9 episodes because the world itself was so empty, the kids were annoying, and... in fact, it just made me think of Armada all over again, which is why I stopped.

That's funny because I am the exact opposite. I cannot stand any Transformers comic. It just ruins the magic for me. Seeing a car transform to a robot panel by panel is just not as magical as watching it fully occur on screen.

At the same time though, outside of GI Joe Resolute, I hate every incarnation of GI Joe that has been done tv/movie wise. Up until Classic Volume 14, I enjoyed every single issue of the series I was reading, and I loved the Devil's Due Reinstated and America's Elite series. I think it is really because in the cartoons and movie no one really dies, they shoot lasers, the characters are way too goofy, but most of all, the portrayal of Cobra Commander. Resolute is the only thing to really take Cobra Commander out of the pages of the comic and put him on screen.

16. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    G1 closely followed by Beast Wars and Prime.

17. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    G1 comics. IDW before Ongoing.

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    My favorite characters are still the ones I grew up with in G1 but BW/BM is still the best written.

19. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've definitely noticed alot these lately. Must be a slow time for Transformers. Until Prime comes back, there isn't a whole lot to discuss

20. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Ok, but until a new thread is started, that has to remain your favorite.