What Is Your Expectation From Boulder Media Studio?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, Mar 25, 2017.

?

What sort of an Animated Series are you expecting from Boulder Media Studio?

1. Brand New Animated Series Based On Movieverse

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. Brand New Animated Series NOT Based On Movieverse

34 vote(s)
    59.6%
  3. Future Season(s) Of Robots In Disguise

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Follow-Up Series To Robots In Disguise

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. Spin-off Series To Robots In Disguise

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. Future Season(s) Of Rescue Bots

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. Follow-Up Series To Rescue Bots

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. Spin-off Series To Rescue Bots

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not so sure about Brand New Series anymore, got to talk to some LA Hasbro Studios staff that worked on Prime and RID and he made it very clear he's involved in this.

Might mean nothing, but I'd think they wouldn't bother keeping some of the old blood for no reason if most of the pre-production is being handled in Ireland,

• Like Like x 1
  2. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Idk.

Gumball is such a innovative cartoon nowadays.
    Plus the writing of the series has evolved the enough to consider it even better than 'good'.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

With regard to the poll, I'm fairly sure that what I'm expecting from the future series and what I want are entirely different things. I'd like to get away from the Aligned continuity and have a series that does new things and provides excellent characterization. I want an Optimus that I can get behind in a TV series - Animated Optimus was half-grown, TFP Optimus's problems have been discussed ad nauseum, and the RID2001 and AEC Optimuses were bland as dishwater.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Prowl1

Prowl1 Raving Prowl Fanatic

Agreed. The animation in Gumball and Foster is over simplistic and speaks to either lazy or unskilled artists. Unfortunately, that over simplified Neo-Hannah Barbera/devolved Johnny Bravo art style is basically all any animation studios do currently as, apparently western animators either can't draw as well as their eastern contemporaries or would rather increase profits by keeping production costs low. Personally, I am broken hearted to see the current low state of western animation.

Now having said that, I was also cynical when I heard that the team behind Adventure Time was pegged to do the Castlevania series for Netflix, but the animation for that is looking pretty sweet, so anything is possible.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TLP

TLP Well-Known Member

Source? or

[​IMG]

Tumblr and /co/ will eat up any of those cartoons. Just as long as they have 'pretty' women in them. :p 

6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Gumball is able to bring out styles that aren't just "too simple." since if you watched some of the episodes they've actually managed to be creative with having diverse styles all over so I wouldn't say they're unskilled and lazy far from it. As for Fosters that was over a decade ago so if you're trying to present current animation examples Fosters isn't a good one to use. Some of the art styles today aren't my favorite but that doesn't mean they're objectively bad. Besides we've had people our age complaining about similar stuff back in the 80's and 90's so how is this any different?

Also even if that isn't the case having good animation isn't enough to make for a great series. You need good writing to help back it up since as Osamu Tezuka once said. "A good story can save poor animation whereas good animation cannot save a good story." There's a reason why shows like Steven Universe and Adventure Time are being praised for the way they are and it's not just animation. Fantastic animation can only take you so far when it comes to making a show.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

You have never watched Gumball, right?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Prowl1

Prowl1 Raving Prowl Fanatic

Are you serious?

[​IMG]

VS.

[​IMG]

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, that Gumball art doesn't represent skill or effort. It pales in comparison to art that is over 30 years old. Just my opinion though. If Gumball art is your idea of a perfect fit for a Transformers cartoon, more power to you. But it sure as heck ain't mine. :) 

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    He meant have you at least looked at a clip if not an episode of Gumball? Because as someone who's watched a lot of episodes of the show I can tell you that it's very capable of doing other styles of art including 80's style designs with a lot of detail.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Well, if you compare a cartoon model vs an official art wich cartoon never looked like i don't know how to help you.

Also, gumball did somethings that Transformers won't never do and never did.(yet)

(Watch the entire video)

• Like Like x 1
  11. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    One of the job specifications did state that the new recruits for the Transformers project in Ireland must work closely with Hasbro Studios. So, I guess they are keeping some.

However, people like Prime/RID character designer Augusto Barranco are already laid off:
    Augusto Barranco on Twitter

Not sure what's going over there. If you could find out more, it'll be lovely.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Active Member

I dunno. The Genndy Clone Wars had fantastic animation with meh scripts and that was amazing.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

It was either here or Seibertron's forum. I didn't care enough to bookmark it. I don't like anything Boulder has ever made. Gumball is basically a cartoon for toddlers and stoners, like SpongeBob. As childish as RID15 has been, I think Boulder will shoot even lower. I haven't started and finished a season of TFs since Beast Machines. I just don't care enough to get excited or disappointed in these shows anymore.

As to your snotty cat picture... frankly, I don't care if the rumors are true. Try a civil response next time.

14. TLP

TLP Well-Known Member

That doesn't really answer my question. Who was the specific source?

15. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

It was either someone here or Seibertron's forum. I didn't care enough to bookmark it.

16. francesco92

francesco92 Well-Known Member

I would love a bayverse based series but I'm fine with a completely new series as well. As long as it turn out good. I hope this time they will add more deep and work in it like Transformers Prime

17. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime I don't want to set the world on fire...

Ebay:
    Boulder Media's generally worked on some very kid-oriented show with very silly humor, but if you look on their production page, there's this kid shooting fire from his hands or something which looks more like a dynamic action cartoon than their usual fare. It looks like they want to develop more in-house IPs, and Transformers might be a license they're looking to acquire and develop to fund that, as well as to practice doing more action-oriented stuff.

While its not for everyone, Gumball and it's fare does interesting things with its animation. It's not traditional squash and stretch or the overly stiff offerings we see from stuff from Flash/Flash-like animation. Even if I find it nonsensical, I can't deny that sometimes it's just fun to watch.