What is your collecting goal(s)?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CURAMEN, Jun 16, 2010.

1. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    I started this thread so that forum members can share their collecting goals with one another when it comes to collecting Transformers.

Please post your recent, current and/or future collecting goal(s) on this thread, whether it is specifically collecting one line, multiple lines, certain characters, custom figures, loose, MIB, MISB or AFA items, and share with everyone who chooses to participate in this discussion.

Also, feel free to include a picture of your most prized item in your collection.

2. CURAMEN

News Credits:
    I’ll start…

I started collecting Transformers with the goal of getting all the G1 figures I grew up watching in the G1 cartoon from seasons 1 to 4, mainly the figures from toy series 1 to 4 outlined in Bellemo’s Transformers Identification and Price Guide, in the best condition possible or that I can afford. All the figures in my collection have to be in a minimum of C8 condition and must have all their original weapons and/or accessories. My collection mainly consist of originals, reissues and/or high quality KO’s (the KO’s are just used for comparisons to my originals and reissues). I prefer to buy loose specimens so that I can eventually display them all together in a glass showcase, but I have also managed to purchase MIB items of certain original figures, such as a Fortress Maximus, from time to time since I started collecting.

Currently, I have almost every figure from toy series 1 to 4, with the exception of the 7 figures I have listed in MY WANT LIST posted in the link below my signature.

Once I purchase those final 7 figures, I will have completed my goal of owning all the G1 toys featured in the G1 cartoon that I grew up with and then after that… Everything else is just novelty.

As we all know when it comes to collecting, novelty becomes necessity and I’m quite sure that I will have another collecting goal sometime soon since I just finished watching the Japanese Headmasters cartoon series for the first time and now getting into the Japanese Masterforce and Victory cartoon series.

I must say that I enjoyed Headmasters so much that now those G1 Japanese toys are looking very, very tempting to me!

In fact, I recently purchased my first G1 Japanese Transformer, which was a MIB Grand Maximus, and now a potential new goal is in the horizon!

As for my prized possession(s), when it comes to sentimental value it's an Encore Optimus Prime that I got autographed by Peter Cullen when I met him at my first Botcon in 2009 in Pasadena, CA and when it comes to monetary value I would say it's definitely the Fortress, Grand and Brave Maximus trio as a whole.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  3. uzi_the_klown

uzi_the_klown Well-Known Member

So far I'm after all the us g1

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At one time it was collecting strictly G1. That time has passed and i've since sold most of that stuff.

Now I just collect Classics/henkei, Beast Wars (Which i'm done with already), Victory and the occasional G1 figure because I do miss some of them.

My goal is to narrow down my collection into stuff i'm just in love with. Which is very hard to do because I do enjoy my entire collection. I just want the ability to display them in dynamic positions instead of single file, looking straight forward.

Also... I don't really want to surrender anymore space to displaying toys either lol. one shelf is enough

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    My goal was to satisfy all of my childhood wants. Thanks to the catalogs that packed with the boxed toys, as a kid I wanted EVERY Generation One toy that came out in the USA from 1984 through 1989.

And I have them! :D 

6. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

I have come to a similar goal regarding my collection. There was a time when I wanted anything G1 related, but not anymore.

Nowadays, I have limited my collection to Season 3/Movie G1 characters (Hotrod, Ultra Magnus, Springer, etc), Targetmasters, Powermasters, Headmasters, Brainmasters and some other figures from the later Japanese series. I do have another collecting love: I am a Mini-Con whore. Love the little guys. That is why I am so excited for the PCCs to be released. Lots of good Mini-Cons have been revealed thus far.

That's my way of limiting my collection. Otherwise I would always be broke and be wanting for space.

I would love to get that guy, since I am a huge Headmaster fan. Sadly, though, it won't be any time soon. What is your next TF collecting goal then?

EDIT: I have been thrilled with HeadRobots and their Cobra HM. Awesome 3rd party figure. Can't wait for the Hardhead HM.

7. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Never really had a goal. No wonder my toy robot habit is so all over the board.

I just buy what I dig.

8. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

I started off like that, i even managed to convince myself that i was just buying back my childhood (at great personal expense) one piece at a time off ebay.

then i was having to buy more cabinets, because, you know, i was going to put DVDs in them and stuff. Then i found myself trying to persuade my long-suffering Gf that toys were a sound financial investment. I finally had what alcoholics call a moment of clarity as i beat a small child unconscious over a HA bumblebee and had to be talked down off the roof by police as i wielded a g1 shockwave threatening to destroy the puny fleshlings.

It was at that point i decided i needed a degree of balance in my life - perspective if you will - and started buying up the Star Wars expanded universe stuff too.

9. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

I'm pretty much complete with Beast Wars and Animated so my remaining goal is to get a Classics version of every major G1 show character. By major I've got my own particular ranking in my head. Like getting a Sandstorm or Outback is nowhere near as important as getting Trailbreaker or Kup.

I will be getting them via retail, third party, import, commision, self customization...whatever. By hook or by crook it will be done.... No matter the cost.

10. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Past:
    I got back into collecting about 5 years ago. At that point I started out wanting MIB Megs and Prime. Then it expanded to the complete year of 1984... then 84-86... then added 87... then went to all of Bellemo's book. Complete 84-90 American release. This goal included all accessories, tech specs, instruction booklets, and required the figures to be in C9 shape or better.

Current:
    My present goal is to finish up the European G1.5s and the Japanese G1s. I only have 20 of them left! :) . Again, all of them 100% complete and at least C9 quality.

Future:
    Finishing G2 will be next on the list...
    Then, like you, Curamen, I intend on displaying all of my collection loose and behind glass cases. I'm either thinking of a bedroom full or a gameroom basement like "Jason Blue Boost"s. My ultimate goal is to have a Museum type feel to my G1-G2 display area.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  11. JacobPGalvatron

JacobPGalvatron Storm Trooper #1

Same.

12. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    To buy what I enjoy... that's pretty much it. Though these days I'm also keeping in mind what can entertain my YouTube watchers, as well. As for short-term goals... with Botcon coming up I'm going grail hunting.

13. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

Great thread.
    I only got into collecting TFs about a year ago and my goal is to get all of the MISB G1 reissues from seasons one and two of the original cartoon that I like.
    Turns out it ends up being the majority of the reissues produced but I'm starting to get close to where I want to be. I really like displaying them and makes for some great nostalgia of looking at the ones I played with as a kid.
    I may get into collecting the upcoming WFC figures but I'll need to see them in person before I decide.

14. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Pretty much, all of my TF collecting goals are just to get caught up on collecting these toy lines in the precise order that they're in:

1) 07 Movie/ROTF
    2) Animated
    3) Alternators
    4) Classics/Henkei/Universe
    5) Cybertron/Galaxy Force

In the future, I want to work on collecting some of the G1 figures -- originals or reissues -- that I want to have in my collection. I'm not aiming to collect all of the G1 figures, but just the ones that I truly want.

15. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I have several goals, the main goal is to have everything ( except Action Masters, pretenders, micromasters ) of the US G1 line in MOC, MIB status. This means full MIB with insert cards, bubbles, parts instructions and so on. To accoplish this I have around 35 items left. Half of them are moc stuff like Throttlebots, Triggerbots and so on.

I also collect loose C9 vintage MOTU and SW, by the side. Thos have separate goals.

and the occasionally statue from Sideshow...just going to preorder another one.

16. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    As a kid I promised myself as an adult I would get all the toys I couldn't have as a child, I've pretty much kept to that.
    My goals have changed as I've aged, for a long time I wanted all the toys that were in the movie, then I uped my aims to completing 84-86. Then Beast Wars core characters. Then Armada because I was stoked that new Transformer vehicles came out in the UK. From that I got into Energon, Masterpieces, Binaltech and I've just gotten worse from there.
    My goals now are pretty much to not be done, I hope there is always something to chase down and collect. I like pretty much all Transformers, but if I think one is a real stinker I won't buy it for the sake of it. I have a few turkeys in my collection (Armada Scavenger in yellow?!?) and every now and then I sell a few. But for the most part its horde horde horde and that has got much worse since I've gotten into customising.
    I used to have an arbitrary 5 mold maximum, but that has gone out the window with 13 classic seekers and about 8 Sideswipe / Streaker molds.

17. Skyquake87

Skyquake87 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My goal initially was just to pick up a few figures. I had a handfull of battered G1 from childhood, and around late 1996, I stumbled on a market stall in Leeds Market (here in the UK) that had a few G2 toys for sale for a few quid. Zap and Skram sent me on a slippery slope that lead to further G2 figures (mostly acquired in small retail outlets and clearance stores as G2 was no longer a going concern then). I was happy with the figures I had, and then I chanced upon an advert for the Beast Wars computer game whilst reading an issue of Preacher and that piqued my curiosity. A friend of mine had said he'd seen a few of the toys, and said they were like proper animals with scales and fur and stuff. A picked a couple of Predacon toys up (Scorponok & Inferno) and was hooked! Once I'd hoovered up most of the Predacons, I turned to the Maximals and from there I just got bitten and followed the line through picking up as and what I could. I'm still missing a few figures, but aren't honestly too bothered to get what I'm missing (particularly Tigatron and first version Blackarachnia - they're too expensive!).

From there, I just picked up something from each line and....that was a mistake. You just end up with a massive collection of stuff, and to be honest, for all the good stuff, there's been a lot of guff. So I took a long hard look at what I had and stripped out all my Euro G1.5 toys (except the Motorvators), a few Beast Machines, all the Armada/Cybertron/Energon stuff i had. And cleared out 1986 up G1 and any G2 that weren't recolours of G1 characters. I'm much happier having trimmed my collection back to around 400 figures. From close to 800!

Bad guys are normally what i look for first, not to be edgy or cool or anything, but just because the Autobots are so dull these days. They are all largely cars and thats that. I like that the Decepticons have such a wide variety of alt modes.

My goals have varied from line to line, with the old stuff it was just to pick up anything that hadn't been reissued that I was keen to own. Shockwave, Jetfire, Dinobots, Constructicons, the Decepticon cassettes.

These days, I'm trying to be a bit more cautious and pick and choose what I buy more carefully. saying that, i still managed to pick some duff figures from the ROTF line (yeah, The Fallen, I'm looking at you).

The only thing I'm looking out for at the moment is the Madman Beast Wars DVDs, which are horribly expensive, but the extras on them will be worth the spend for me. So those and the Hasbro MP Grimlock.

18. dsprks75

dsprks75 Well-Known Member

I've acquired and parted with different collections so many times... All I wanted was my 1984 G1 lineup back... And thanks to the magic of Hasbro, Takara and Tomy... I got them back and they stand proudly on my shelves in all thier minty goodness...

Ah... memories...

19. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Same. Although as of now, the only ones that have my main interest is CHUG.

20. CURAMEN

News Credits:
    I may eventually get into purchasing all the other American G1 figures, the toys not featured in the G1 cartoon (Bandai toys) and G1 figures from series 5 to 7, but for now I'm content with completing my first collecting goal of getting all the G1's figures that were in the American G1 cartoon.

After that, who knows?

I don't want to rush into something else without enjoying what I completed so far, but then again... These G1 Japanese Transformers look so cool!

Since I've been trying to complete my initial goal and without really setting a goal for it, I have managed to purchase the entire MP line (Japanese and American), the entire Alternators line, a majority of the Binaltechs, a majority of the Classics line, the entire TFC Bookstyle reissues, a majority of the TRU Reissues, the entire Encore Reissues and a majority of the Animated line.

So it's safe to say... I collect Transformers!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010