What is wrong with All Hail Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Crank729, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Crank729

Crank729 Seeker

Okay, I have read AHM at least 3 times, and I really like the series, but I have heard some transformers fans didn't enjoy it as much as I did. So here is the question: What didn't you like about all hail megatron?

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I actually really enjoyed AHM as well.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I don't like the fact that it ignores previous continuity. The series ought to have been written as an 'Elsewords' tale.

4. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    It was the first IDW series I ever read. I enjoyed it very very much.

Loved seeing Megatron tell Prime to shut up when he launches into his freedom speech :lol 

Edit: More favorites -

Astrotrain ripping up the subways.
    Seekers & Laserbeak vs. USAF
    Devastator & the Lincoln Tunnel
    Frenzy unleashed
    Thundercracker's attack of honor
    Megatron displaying "big thinking" to Starscream

I'd never seen a TF story where the Decepticons acted like Decepticons - hell bent on conquest and eliminating everything and anything in their way to do it.

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    AHM brought me back to Transformers comics.

6. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Taken on its own, it's a pretty good comic. And I really enjoyed it when I read it.

Then I went back and read the Spotlights and the "-ation" comics, re-read AHM, and then facepalmed at everything that was ignored and dropped for the sake of the story. It's still not bad, but I wish it would've been some sort of "What If?" story.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly. All that setup work, and then IDW pull a "one year later".

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

All Hail Megatron had lots of little flaws and issues... however, overall I really enjoyed it. I think there are some great ideas explored in the series, and some of the characters really get to shine. It's not perfect, but I found it had more life and energy than Furman's earlier run.

However, I will say that the first issue and the last were both pretty weak. It feels like they were written first, and then the "meat" in the middle came afterward, once Shane McCarthy had hit his stride writing.

As for continuity... I was willing to let that slide a bit. I found Furman's storyline had gotten so inflated, with so many lingering loose ends, that being required to carry it forward would have been too much to ask... and maybe not something I was interested in seeing anyway.

zmog

9. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I've made a point to never read the series, and here's why:

-Continuity was thrown out the window, then forced back in halfway.
    -Everyone's characterizations were written over with their cartoon personas.
    -Optimus was on his death bed one minute and "Hay guis I'm back lol" the next without good explaination.
    -Everyone lost their modern redesigns for their OMG84 designs. An in-story explaination was promised and never given. When asked about it, McCarthy pretty much said "Well, they can change alt modes when they want to, can't they?"
    -Sunstreaker and Hunter's mutual Headmaster team-up was retconned into Hunter forcing the merger.
    -Sunstreaker is suddenly a traitor because of said retcon. That's right, he betrayed every Autobot because the writer wanted him to hate humans.
    -Hunter's happy ending from Max Dinos was ruined just 'cause.
    -Drift, the SOOPER AWSUM JAPUNEESEE ROBOT SNAKE EYES.
    -Ore-13 was forgotten about completely, which was why Earth was so important to both sides in the first place.
    -At good chunk of the book is the Autobots moping around supposedly-uninhabitable Cybertron bitching at each other, while Megatron and the Decepticons are stomping around New York for no apparent reason.
    -Megatron sacrificed hundreds(thousands?) of able-bodied Decepticons to experiments to make the three Insecticons. Yeah, that makes sense...

10. Crank729

Crank729 Seeker

Yeah, the whole Optimus is back in 30 seconds did irk me a little, but I kind of loved drift. Besides, it is not even like drift got a lot of page time in the series anyway.

11. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I have to start reading these comics they sound interesting, i just have to go to a local bookstore and find some and start reading them.

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I don't mind it, it's entertaining. It's goofy without intending to be (Devastator THAT big? el oh fucking el) but in my back of my head it's no different than any G1 episode. And I really like Guido's art style too...again, really reminiscent of the G1 toon. I have to say I don't like the contiuity reboot either...there were threads of it here and there but it just seemed like McCarthy just kept the parts he liked or suited his purposes. And I love Drift, mainly because of all the retarded reasons the fanbase comes up that they hate him.

13. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

This. And it basically destroyed the galaxy-spanning epic Furman was crafting, and dumped the action back on Earth. Oh, and instead of two fairly evenly-matched sides, suddenly the Autobots are now overmatched and outgunned. It just sucked all the enjoyment out of IDW Transformers for me. I think I skipped the last issue or two, and the only thing I've bought since is the Last Stand of the Wreckers.

14. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

My problem with it was that the art style decided to change for like... three issues or so, and then was like "=D Problem solved"

15. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    As far as I'm concerned it's the best series I've read thus far.

16. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I believe that's what divides the fandom on AHM. I think if you like the G1 cartoon and love it for its flaws, chances are you'll like AHM.

The problem with that, however, is comics nowadays should be written better than an 80s children's cartoon. Most people who buy comics in this day and age are teenagers and adults who should, at the very least, expect a comic to not contradict it's most basic continuity. It's kinda like those light beer commercials:

"I'll take a comic, please."
    "Do you care how well it's written?"
    "Nah."

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    That's a good start.

-The entire point of Megatron taking on Earth was to make it a new Warworld/Capital, yet he never does anything except mention it a few times, he does nothing to enact this plan. In fact, other then goading Starscream into rebelling and staring at the Matrix, Megatron does nothing until Optimus shows up again.

-The fact that there should only be a few Autobots left against thousands (if not more) Decepticons are never mentioned and is never brought up again. It's the only logical conclusion that the 'cons are annihilating the Autobots everywhere else given what we are presented with.

-The vast galactic war that was taking place over hundreds (thousands?) of fronts is tossed aside for a battle on Earth.

-Terrible pacing. Nothing happens for about three issues, then everything happens in two or so issues.

And so forth.

18. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

You know, I'm just thinking back to it now... didn't Europe try to drop nukes on the bots in NYC? Kinda wish that was somehow followed up in the ongoing in some way, even if just in a throwaway line.

19. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    More or less quoting myself from a thread we just had a few weeks ago:

In addition, AHM introduced one of the most despicable characters ever to plague Transformers fiction. I'm not talking about the over-hyped Drift. I'm talking about that arrogant dickhead Spike Witwicky In Name Only.

20. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

These were the really big issues I had with it. Everything else I can kinda live with (as I haven't read ANY of the previous comics).

It's just like this slow laboured build over several issues up to something huge and then BAM! it's all over in like 2 pages and you're left wondering 'what just happened?' It's like the series got cancelled and they had to end it really quickly. I nearly threw the damn comic across the room when Prime came back.