What is with everyone calling Prime RiD

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by whoamidri, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I was going to say because that is what the line is actually called, but I guess that's a pretty stupid theory, now that I think about it.

2. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

I don't think there was any belligerence at all, because honestly, it addressed your post quite well as to my understanding, and English is my first language (also, to assume what a person's first language is, when their post is actually in better-written and grammatically-correct English compared to many others on the boards is just kind of rude). Honestly, your first post pretty much comes off as 'why do people call the Prime line RID?'

Which was answered: the subtitle 'Robots in Disguise' is on the package, and it was advertised that way to us on an official level.

I have yet to see anyone ID the Prime animated series as such, though. So maybe you just keep dealing with the foolish and unobservant.

3. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    I just call it Prime

4. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

First, my gripe is with people calling it RiD, without mention of the name Prime, when Transformers Robots in Disguise has been referred to as RiD, or RID, for the past 10 years. As to the "subtle 'Robots in Disguise'" on the package, there are quite a few other lines in existence that have that phrase on the packaging, starting with the original transformers back in the 80s. So by your logic we should now call G1 "RiD" right? How about Classics? That had the same phrase too, should that be called RiD now as well? That's basically what you're saying in your post. Anyway I guess you were right about one thing, the line about continuing to deal with the foolish and unobservant seems to be right on target. Read some of the other posts, people are discussing the topic started in the original post.

As far as my words for the other poster and reference to his English comprehension, I meant no offense, and if any was taken I apologize.... to that poster, not anyone else.

5. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

Nice way of picking and choosing from what I actually posted. The big difference, and I said this more than once, is that Hasbro has mentioned the 'Robots in Disguise' subline header in an official capacity. Hasbro themselves call the Classics line 'Classics,' so honestly? Trying to turn that statement against me makes no sense.

And the whole 'foolish an unobservant' goes with whoever the hell you're seeing referring to the line solely as RID (or, as I stated, the people referring to the series itself as RID, which you claimed in the first post to have encountered). I have read quite a lot of this thread, I'm just pointing out that your own post can be interpreted multiple ways, and your obstinate adherence to what appears to be a 'it shouldn't be RID at all costs' mentality doesn't make it any clearer what your initial post meant.

But hey, keep on keeping on.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I've never understood it either. "Robots in disguise" is written on the packaging like "more than meets the eye" was on G1 packaging? It seems some fans have to have their dumb acronyms for everything.

7. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Wow.

It hasn't been hard for me at all. It has always been clear that people are referring to the Prime line when they say RID because of the context in which they are using it. If you are having issues making that distinction, then I think that falls on you, not them. Personally, I like to use PRIDE because I like the line and I can say "I have PRIDE pride!"

All of your posts, however, have been nothing but argumentative, stubborn, and offensive. Saying people are being rude means that they don't care if you understand or not, which isn't the case. They are trying to communicate to people that the figure/line they are talking about is the current, mainline which Hasbro subtitled "Robots in Disguise". And it isn't just on the box, when they first showed off the figures at Comic Con, they had that title on the slides, meaning that they are referring to the line internally as such.

And, frankly, many of your posts in this thread have been rude and, frankly intentionally so.

8. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are you serious? OP has gone out of his way to be polite. He even thanks people for their input, even if he doesn't agree with them ffs.

The only post I can find in this thread that he made that even remotely fits the bill is when he questions wether a guy has actually understood his post when the poster tries to make the exact same argument that the OP just proved to be a bit on the silly side of things.

So yeah - the OP have a point, which you are trying your best to ignore btw.

And maybe I have a weird sense of humor, but that makes me smile a bit, what with your definition of being rude and all ;) 

9. whoamidri

I won't bother to respond to the rest of your post as I feel we have already covered it in earlier posts, however, this statement implies, no actually puts words in my mouth by saying that I have such an opinion. I have no interest in arguing over syntax or how my sentences can be interpreted in abstract ways to create some sort of different statement or opinion than what I intended when writing them. The point again, for the 5 millionth time, is that people have been referring to the Prime Robots in Disguise toys on the boards as simply RiD, which I find to be incorrect for reasons I have stated in previous posts.

10. whoamidri

I too, can tell if someone is talking about a Prime figure when using only the RiD term, so that is not my gripe. My gripe is that when that happens the folks are using an already widely accepted term that has been used to refer to a completely different toy line for a decade, which to me seems a little lazy and silly. That's basically all I am saying. I have no problems with people saying PRID, PRIDE, Prime RID, or any other term that may exist to refer to the Prime Robots in Disguise sub-line. Thanks for your input though.

I believe Grandum did quite a fine job of stating what this part of the post means to me. Thanks

11. Devil Prime

Devil Prime Well-Known Member

Why do you care? Are you really this upset over what people call a toy line for children?

12. whoamidri

nice try devil prime. It was a joke.

13. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I just call it PRiD

14. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    In the history of Nerdom, stupid and intentionally misleading acronyms are an ancient tradition. Examples:

People saying NES as a word, Nes. When Ness is a lake in Scotland, and everyone who was alive at the time simply referred to it as the Nintendo, or the Old Nintendo. No one ever said "Hey, lets go play some Nintendo Entertainment System!" or "Hey, let's go play some Ness!"

Naruto fans referring to characters as PTS, which could be pre-time-skip or post-time-skip, when the manga clearly defines the two stories as Part 1 and Part 2 (guess P1/P2 is too simple and concise).

There is no such thing as Universe 2.0 Within the universe line there was a subline called Classics 2.0 which featured new transformers similar in design to the old classics, but not all Universe figures released during that time were part of Classics 2.0 (hot shot, dinobot, and cheetor to name a few).

RID was also the subtitle to the Cybertron line. So now whenever you search for RID figures you get the original RID, Cybertron, and now Prime. Makes it difficult to track down figures from the line.

It is stupid, and unfortunately it catches on. Nothing you can really do about it, though. It will never change.

15. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Wow. Lol. I'm surprised this thread is six pages long. Just be glad it didn't get called something stupid like CHUG.

16. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    must be getting pretty desperate in looking for things to bitch at huh?

17. whoamidri

Not really, I could think of another dozen or so things to complain about at any given time without thinking twice about it. :) 

18. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't be that guy...if you have something to say on the topic then say it rather than try to insult the OP.

19. whoamidri

I appreciate that someone else sees what is going on here. lol it's all in fun though. I think the point has been made regarding my original topic and now it's just sort of to the point where people are trying to stir up some harsh words or something.

20. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Actually I called it the Enn-Eee-Ess at the time - I never called it a "Nintendo" mainly due to the existence of the Gameboy and that I'd not call a Megadrive a "Sega" due to the existence of the Gamegear & Master System machines.

I never heard anyone call a Super Nintendo a Snez until Bad Influence started doing it - after that its seemed to catch on. (they might have picked it up from Americans maybe?)

And I think therefore NEZ was retrospective too. and I've never ever heard it called a NESSSS (as in lock Ness) if that is used it's usually with a Zed noise to it not an Esss.

I called The follow up a S.N.E.S.or if I was asking someone at say a Car boot sale i'd not ask if they had SNEZ games I'd ask for Super Nintendo games.

I don't think many people could be bothered to call a Nintendo64 anything other than an En64 most of the time though in my experience. not that people even seem to often remember the N64... it's nearly as forgotten as 3DO sometimes.