What is with everyone calling Prime RiD

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by whoamidri, Mar 3, 2012.

1. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

venting frustration with people who call Prime RiD.
    I just don't get it, are you guys trying to erase a line that came out 10 yrs ago? It's confusing and also a little bit rude IMO. Hey why don't you start calling Prime Fe G1 while you're at it? Is there some logic to calling Prime RiD? It would seem much more simple to call it Prime or Prid or something... Hell there's a tv show called Transformers Prime and people still insist on calling it RiD. I just don't understand someone please explain it.
    that is all

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  2. deceptiboat

deceptiboat Active Member

Because it is Prime RID :rolleyes: 

3. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Look at the packaging.

In a few years it'll all bleed together and just be Prime, but right now it's a distinction between the FE figures and the new ones.

4. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    I think it'll end up becoming PRID in the end. How is it rude, though?

5. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    or we could all just call it Prime cuz thats what it really is :p 

We dont call G1 "TTFMTMTE" do we?

"well thats what it says on the box!!!" D:

6. whoamidri

I hope you are right in a few years, however, why not just say "fe" when referring to the first editions?

Forgot to hit the multiquote button.

7. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, it's all TF Prime to me.

It'll blow over...

8. whoamidri

well who started it? lets string em up lol

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's a case of the packaging needed something to demarcate it from the Cyberverse series, and taking the name of Robots in Disguise to achieve that goal. Dark of the Moon actually did it first, with the MechTech name to distinguish the mainline from Cyberverse. The reason that never caught on among the fans like referring to the Prime mainline as RiD is a need to explain which character is which - FE Bumblebee or mainline Bumblebee for example.

It's a pity that the name was taken previously, but them's the breaks. Us fans will always know what the real RiD is.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    TFP for me.

11. whoamidri

While I do appreciate your articulate attempt to logically explain why the RiD name was used, I must say that the way it is written in text (RiD with no reference to Prime at all) is what gets me. IMO there will always be some way to distinguish one line, or sub
    -line, from another without reusing old acronyms/names. Just seems like someone took the lazy way out when coining the written abbreviation for Transformers Pime Robots in Disguise. my 2 cents I guess, thanks again.

12. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    In fairness, most people will know what you're referring to in threads about the new RID.

13. Hal7300

Hal7300 Wrecker

I don't think anyone calls the show RiD, to be fair.

I think the acronym PRiD does the trick for the toyline...

14. whoamidri

I think I see what you're trying to say, however, it erks me that someone would have to make that distinction on their own instead of having a unique name for the "new RID".

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Looking at the Cyberverse some is Prime : Cyberverse and some isn't like Evac (it's just Cyberverse).

It's still not know if Hasbro might try to sneak some non-Prime toys into later RID waves or boxed sets so until or unless we know if they plan on keeping RID Revealers/Powerisers as just Prime related or make any other changes. it's best to say Prime & RID together I feel.

Ten if they do Movie:RID or G1:RID later then we can alter our terms then... but the Cyberverse does suggest that it might be best to not assume that it will always only be only Prime toys in RID Packaging.

It would be very easy for them to make future waves in 2013 full of unused or repainted Movie Moulds. I'd not actually be that bothered if they decided to repaint NEST Lockdown blue and resell him in an RID card (minus the Prime logo) (for example).

That is the sort of thing they did do with Gi Joe that line got rather muddled too.
    How about Robots:ID

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

We just sort of have to go with what Hasbro slaps on the packaging so we can make it clear if we are talking about a First Edition figure or the Robots in Disguise version. If Hasbro had called the toy line Transformers Prime Friendship is Magic then we'd be talking about FiM figures.

Someone at Hasbro just like the phrase Robots in Disguise and they figured that since it has been so long since that cartoon series only us crazy collectors would be driven crazy about Robots in Disguise action figures vs the Transformers Prime sub-brand Robots in Disguise.

17. whoamidri

I don't feel like this has a thing to do with Hasbro, but that's just my opinion. Robots in disguise has been being printed on Transformers boxes (off and on) since the very first wave in the 80s. It is the fact that folks describe the Prime Robots in Disguise toy line by typing (or an argument could be made for speaking) RiD with no reference to Prime, or anything else that could set them apart from the toy line of the early 2000s. Again, it just seems lazy that a more accurate acronym can't be used. One that doesn't insinuate that the real Robots in Disguise line never existed. my 2 cents

18. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I hate PRID it just sounds stupid. And people are using it more than just to distinguish between FE and the main line figures.

I just call it prime and if it needs more clarity mainline works just fine.

19. Leo Primus

Leo Primus Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's hella frustrating when people talk about "RiD sightings" or "RiD Bumblebee/Arcee/etc." I keep thinking of a different line!
    Oh wait, there were no Bumblebee or Arcee in the old line and it's not available in stores for, like, ten years.
    It's not all that hard to comprehend when you actually read the posts.

20. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, every time you respond to the valid claims made as to why people are calling it RiD, it really seems like you're staying angry/frustrated for the sake of staying angry/frustrated. The bottom line is, the packaging says Transformers Prime: Robots in Disguise, and in a few official sources the line has been identified as the TF Prime: Robots in Disguise line. It's what Hasbro has used as an official line designation to identify it as opposed to their other, concurrently-running lines, and that's really that. The Classics line was officially labeled as Transformers: Robots in Disguise as well, but that was just as a tagline - which is, technically, what the phrase originated as. It's been in use long before the cartoon Robots in Disguise.

I mean, yeah, it sucks that there has to be an intentional distinction now (though I've found the widespread use of the TFPRID or PRID acronyms to do a great job on that front), but it is how it is, and there's not a lot that can be done to change it. We keep rolling along until the next thing to trigger an outrage is released :D