What is up with Transformers: Masterforce....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MaxLinden, Mar 17, 2010.

1. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Deceptipunk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't really get it.... So they are dead robots but being controlled by humans well decepticons are trying to kill them....

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    No, they're more like lifeless shells of cybertronian technology designed to be piloted by humans.

It helps if you remember that Masterforce is supposed to have a similar kind of feel to it as "sentai" shows like Power Rangers.

3. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Deceptipunk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't like the idea of it....
    Optimus piime should not be a puppet for some human.

4. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Well there is a few "real" transformers in it too. The Pretenders, Turtler and maybe a few others which I dont remember right now.

But yeah, I agree, I dont like flesh creatures becoming Transformers either.
    However it is a great show.

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What is up with it is that it is awesome.

It follows on from the themes set up "The Headmasters", which involves a group of small Transformers building larger bodies called "Transtectors", to which they attach as heads. After the events of "The Headmasters" lead to most of the Transformers leaving the Earth, they create the Masterforce system, which gives humans the powers to connect to these Transtectors. Nobody's a "puppet" for anybody. The humans do not "control" the Transformers - the humans ARE the Transformers. The principle is precisely the same as with Headmasters, it's simply that the soul that gives life to the giant robot is that of a human, instead of that of a tiny robot.

(Also, that's not Prime.)

6. OptimusGinrai

OptimusGinrai Is Not The Breakman

And lets alll remember that Ginrai is PURE WIN. oh, and GOD FIRE GUTS

7. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

I have heatrd alot of good things about the show and i think it sounds realy good. i saw the first few episodes and enjoyed them.

8. blackjkb

blackjkb Banned

human + cybertronion tech + don fiurigno "if thats how u spell it srry" = two thumbs up! :thumbs2: 

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If its any consolation, its not really Prime. But yeah, I can see how its not for everybody, as its a biiiiig change from what Transformers is, traditionally. If you can make it through, go for it, because that big change also means its one of the most unique tf shows, but if its just not for you, so be it.

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

The thing that I love most about TFs is that they are sentient robots with their own alien culture, society, etc. Most shows about humans controlling giant transforming battlesuits like Voltron or Gundams bore me. I don't like Masterforce because imho it violates the core concept that makes TFs unique and interesting in the first place. But to each their own.

11. Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75 Master of the Rules.

Masterforce is pure awesome!

I have found that probably 90% of people who say that they don't like Masterforce and it's whole concept haven't actually watched it. The same can be said for those who hate on the Pretenders. I know, I used to be one of them. Now I love them.

If all you have seen is the terrible Star TV dub, then I sort of understand. But if you can see it dubbed, do so. It makes much more sense and is a much better story.

12. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

ma'am have you given the series Gundam Wing a chance?

13. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I should probably say that I entered Masterforce with GREAT trepidation, based on its basic concept, but that I wound up really enjoying it. Yes, it's completely contrary to what Transformers is normally about, but the thing is - it's GOOD. It's the best Japanese Transformers series - but it IS rather telling that for the Japanese to produced their best TF-related show, they had to toss out all the uniquely Transformery elements and fit it into a more standard anime super-robot-show framework.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    What does that have to do with anything? if piloted mecha like gundam bores someone, then Gundam Wing isnt going to change their mind. it's nothing groundbreaking, and does nothing unique or interesting with the genre. it's cookie cutter mecha stuff.

if you want to win someone over to mecha with pilots, Gundam Wing is NOT the show you do it with.

15. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    The scene captured in my sig is reason enough to love Masterforce 1000% with no second thought.

16. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

just my thoughts on the matter when it comes to masterforce

over the years when it comes to the whole theme of the series when it comes to the very idea of humans becoming transformers and transformers literally passing for humans

on a certain level i believe that one could look at the series as being one that explores the hidden untapped power of the human spirit when it comes to the drive to survive against any odds at any cost and ultimately its ability to grant that living person the chance to pull of a miracle of sorts when it comes to said person as a living being coming to possess that ability at times under a unique set of circumstances

a case of the spirit being willing though the flesh be weak so to speak

from what i've seen of that scenario when it comes to anime more often then not when the living person learns that they possess that ability to their spiritual being when they are eventually forced to use it in the name of the greater good that person either dies with their immediate death being the resulting aftereffect of that person pulling of said miracle at the cost of their own spiritual lifeforce or the person simply dies some short while after the act due to the lethal injurys that person gained to their person in the time leading up to that person commiitting that final act in their life

i apoligise in advance if i was not able to explain and properly word that bit right

anyways that's what i see as being one of a number of possible themes one could see in that series

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I've got to admit, the Masterforce concept is a very bold and experimental step for the Transformers franchise. Looking back, nothing like it has been attempted since, which is a pity because I personally liked some of the ideas it brought to the table.

Really, it was doing the best that it could with the toys that were being made at the time, which were a mixture of Pretenders, Headmasters and Powermasters. All characters with some kind of human element. I personally never quite "got" the US take on the concept of two characters co-existing as a single being, so for me, Masterforce took the logical route and made the humans a more integral part of the robots.

The Pretenders were another fun use of the concept, giving the characters mass shifting in Pretender form, so instead of a six storey tall guy in a yellow spacesuit, you instead get a six foot something human in a powersuit, who can transform into his true giant robot form. To be honest I much prefer this as well over the US comic's more contrived explanation that there are Transformer sized humans in the galaxy - which is plausible, but really a Pretender is going to want to blend in among the population of the world the Transformers have adopted as home rather than some random alien world they stopped on for fuel.

(That being said, Revelations' use of the concept as EV suits for the Autobot Pretenders trumps them both in my opinion).

Overall I personally think the series isn't for everyone as it's such a departure from the core mythology, and yet it's a lot of fun because of it. The series as a whole experiments with some nice concepts which no series since has touched on, and in it's defence, it is a lot less like a show like Gundam with piloted mecha, since the humans become the robots.

18. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

it's the series that's had the most success with western audiences. groundbreaking/unique has nothing to do with whether something catches here in the states. my point was to ask whether she had seen a specific series (gundam wing, being arguably the most popular gundam series in the west) or whether they were all being lumped together as 'gundams.'

further more, YOU wouldn't do it with gundam wing. being a successful convert myself, I know it works.

19. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Masterforce was good in my opinion, has some good parts here and there. I did watch it and the sequel series where Ginrai dies.

But the way I see it, they overdid the human power thing. A power that humans have and not any other life form, like cybertronians? I'd like to see some useful human characters, but to invent some sort of imaginary human power seemed like cheating.

Also, it seemed everything revolved around Ginrai, all the other characters felt like back up characters.

20. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gundam wing had a good sound track and characters that were a bit interesting. I even liked the villains. Hero fighting Zechs etc. All in all, it felt like a series where you end up rooting for both sides and that forces the viewer to really be interested in the story, hoping that the characters you come to like continue to survive.