What is up with this "Less humans" garbage

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by guard convoy, May 19, 2010.

1. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    this has been going on for a while....i know people want more characterization for the transformers, i do too, but the way people are acting is that all humans should be removed and focus just on the robots......you forget, the movies take place on earth, of COURSE there will be humans....and with human characters around you get to see their reaction to this whole galatic civil war thing going on.......i have a feeling the spoiler with the graffitti is going to make the human element much more interesting

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Carbombya or GTFO.

3. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol 

But seriously, I am all for a major level of human ivolvement in the films, as long as it's done right. I thought the first film worked with a human focus, as it introduced the conflict from a grounded perspective, but I was slightly disappointed that the humans and robots were not treated on an even field in the sequel, even though they are working together in NEST.

As in, the first film was a human story about humans' reactions to and involvement in an alien war coming to their world. The second film felt like a human story with that alien war only included when necessary, as such, it felt much less organic as a film.

4. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    There should certainly be humans involved...just not as much focus on the Witwicky family drama and Leo's extracurricular activities at college. Limit the human story plot points to stuff that involves their interaction with the Transformers.

5. smkspy

Yes, seriously, Sam's family became a useless plotpoint after the first film. They only returned cuz they wuz funny. Leo became a useless plotpoint after Alice attacked. He only stayed in the film cuz he wuz funny. It doesn't bode well that so many useless but funny characters are yet again returning. This is really where the so-called "less humans garbage" comes from.

6. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    Frankly, the only humans i'm interested in are the ones in NEST.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I certainly don't mind having human characters in the movies, but there are some who just think that the Transformers franchise should be all about the giant transforming robots and no humans.

Humans have been a part of the Transformers canon since the beginning... we've had a string of human characters who were ultimately dragged into the conflict, most of them on the side of the Autobots but there were some who aided the Decepticons and/or were against both factions. The only times that I know of that there were no humans involved were in Beast Wars/Machines and in comics such as Dreamwave's War Within.

Why can't people just accept that?

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    I didn't like Leo at all, but I have to disagree with this. Leo led them to RoboWarrior Simmons, which led them to Jetfire, which led them to Egypt. Elimate Leo, and you have to revise the change of events slightly

9. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

Well I wouldnt mind having humans in it..
    If only they could act.

10. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Yup. No complaints here about Lennox and Epps. I'd like to see a developed relationship between Ironhide and the soldiers.

11. smkspy

True, I forgot about that. Well then, Leo was useless after Simmons. Still, it could have been a quick "Hey, go see this guy at this address in New York," and the character could have been done. Easy enough to dig him.

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I could've done without that whole 'hackers' subplot in TF1. All those humans were a waste of time.

ROTF, for all it's faults, most of the human characters weren't totally irrelevant. Well there's Leo.

13. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Humans are needed for entryways into the war on earth. But that's sam's job as a character. Now granted we do need some interaction. The problem is the movies have been all stall tactics about giving us bot personality.

Movie 1 - Wrapped in mystery because they are coming to earth. Acceptable.
    Movie 2 - Stall tactics in place with the politician and being authed to see prime, not that great, but acceptable.
    Movie 3 - Better have some bot personality, dialogue and interactions either with people, or each other outside of stuff getting blown up, cause at this point, they've used up all their excuses unless they make up a new one like the public will mob them unless they stay hidden. At this point people are curious what Autobots do on their downtime, and it needs to be answered. The problem being the graffiti as mentioned before, which will yield a great human dynamic, but without bot interaction, it's moot. It'd be like doing Enemy Mine, without ever showing the other species.

How are we supposed to care about them, if we never see them doing what's natural to them outside of war? What made that movie great, was the realization of how close the races were even though they were told to hate each other. TF3 needs something like that. We need to be able to relate to the autobots as a Race of sentient beings and not war machines, to really feel the impact of the public outrage against them.

14. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    You are right!

15. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I think the problem with the humans in the TF movies is that they are annoying and cheesy. Bay cant direct emotions from actual humans so what time he does have for the robots just makes it even worse.

The guy just sucks as a director and has been the benefactor of big star names or great CGI in his movies. He has never directed a movie that was actually good on its own with out its supporting elements.

16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    O.k., so I want there to be more focus on the Transformers in a Transformers movie.

So sue me!

17. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i love how you disreguard my post :rolleyes: 

i never said there shouldn't be more focus on the transformers in a transformers movie, there should, it is that the human element is what strenghtens the robot element....like i mention, that graphitti is going to provide a GREAT start for robot-human interaction....

spoiler:

i want to see some riots, i want to see images of the autobots burned, i want to see full out chaos over what has happened, that would be some GREAT character building

18. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I want less humans and more bot screentime.

'nuff said.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I also think it's not so much wanting humans just totally removed from the film but fewer of the human characters who seem to be dragging down the film instead of contributing to a nice flow to the story.

A character like Leo could have been replaced by a website since some conspiracy site could have somehow gotten Sam to the deli. Really didn't need Sam's mom going crazy at college either.

Time spent on useless human characters could have gone toward fleshing out some of the members of NEST so that when we got to Egypt it wasn't the Autobots fighting beside people who didn't even have a name in the movie. Perhaps a cut back on the comedy only character and a bit more time with the characters who are going to be in the thick of action.

20. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't technology/budgetary concerns play some factor in having more human vs robot screentime? I remember all the hoopla about how one of ILM's computers burned out and died because of the rendering requirements for one of the Transformer characters.