What is this transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by cluelessguy, Aug 25, 2006.

1. cluelessguy

cluelessguy Member

All right, I'm new here, becasue I'm new to Transformers. How new? Well, I'm just trying to get he basics down right now.

Alright, so this new Michael Bay film is coming out of the Transformers, right? Well, like I said, I've never been very big into Transformers, so I begged the question over just what it was. I mean, I knew it was a cartoon series, a comic book series, and a toyline, but what came first? What was the original Transformers, that all the others are based on.

So I found out that it was the toyline that came out first, in the 80s. Originally, they had no backstory to them, they wer just toys that transformed into robots. Then the comic books began being published , and then the backstory that the comics introduced began being put on the boxes of the toys themselves.

So, I thought, well, geez, when the Transformers first came out, what were, you know, the first ones? You think that'd be important, but I seem to find out anywhere. I mean, there's this whole "Generation 1" thing that they have lists of, but that just lists all the ones that came out over a course of ten years, in alphabetical order. I'm interested in finding out what the first wave of Transformers were, then what the second wave was, and so on. The order in which they came out, not just in alphabetical order.
    Also, When they first came out, I know they had no backstory, but were tehy still separated into Autobots and Decepticons? This is information I would really like to find out.

So, does anyone know where I can find this out?

Thanx alot!

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They had a backstory from day-one, the bios and story were always on the package.

the first toys were from previous takara-owned toylines like diaclone and microchange, which also had stories. so I'm really confused as to where you heard that there wasnt a story originally.

if you want to know what was released in what year, I'd advise you to visit tfu.info, and click "year" in the side-menu.

as for the story, amazingly none of the major sites focus on the fiction, so your best bet is wikipedia.org, just type in transformers and start reading.

Welcome aboard!

3. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

well ill start it off. Originally they were japanese toys that had no backstory, btu when they were brought to the states they had the cartoon and comics released about the same time to promote them. The first ones were carryovers from the japanese toyline called "diaclone" and most of the good guys are cars or other vehicles. And the bad guys were planes and Guns.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Where is this idea coming from? seriously, I would love to know.

Diaclone and Microchange had stories. not GOOD stories, but they did have them.

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  6. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

tfu.info and unicron.com Preach the gospel! They did indeed have a backstory, but I personally go off of the Marvel comics mostly due to the greater character development compared with the TV show. I'm actually not aware of the backstory(ies) associated with the Microchange and Diaclone lines, Valkysas. I don't doubt there is one/are some, but where might I find these things? I'm really only familiar with the toys in those lines.

7. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
  8. Half_Bot

Half_Bot Well-Known Member

I've been poking around these sites for a couple years now and it was my understanding that the toys came first and then the stories. But I was also not aware they were originally from yapan.:drunk 

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The toys were originally from Japan. Takara release them under "Diaclone" and "New Microman: MicroChange". They were non-sentient robots.

Then Hasbro saw the toys at a Japanese toy show in 1983 and decided to import them. They acquired the licenses from Takara and decided to dub the new series "The Transformers".

Then they assigned Marvel Comics to come up with a backstory, bios for the toys' packaging and a cartoon show and a comic book.

The toys were first shown to the public at Toy Fair in February 1984. Since internet coverage of Toy Fair didn't exist yet back then, there weren't as many people who saw those new toys as would be today.

Marvel Age #17 came out in March 1984 and first announced Mravel's Transformers comic, and also hinted that there would be a toy line for them as well.

The first *real* mainstream debut of the Transformers was an animated TV commercial for the Marvel comics that originally aired in Spring 1984.

The first issue of the comic book came out in May 1984, and the first toys were presumably released to stores the same month.

The cartoon pilot didn't air until September.

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Hey Nevermore, the pilot of Transformers might not have aired until September, but I do remember seeing MTMTE in 10 minute segments on The Bozo Show when I was a kid. Our Kindergarden teacher would let us watch Bozo, and that was the first time we were exposed to TFs. I'm positive that was spring of '84 ( I was in kindergarden fall83/spring84 ). So it would seem the cartoon was shown through this channel around the time the comic debuted? The popularity at that point led to a full blown cartoon that debuted in September.

11. cluelessguy

cluelessguy Member

AAll right, now I'm a bit confused. See, I was under the impression that when the toys were initially released in 1984, they had neither a backstory, or "tech specs" printed on the box. Now, you say the comic book debuted the same month as the toys in the US, and they did, indeed have a backstory? if so, what exactly, if anyone knows, did this backstory on the box read.

Thanx, you guys have been SUPER helpful!

12. cluelessguy

cluelessguy Member

Oh, and there's one thing I would really like to be able to get ahold of. Is tehre any website where I can actually view the original toys' boxes, all around, read the tech specs on them, excetera?

13. Sweep

Sweep worse then vehicon drones

I found this place.

http://www.ntfa.net/ntfa/techspecs/index.php?cat=Gen1

14. cluelessguy

cluelessguy Member

Well, thanx for all your help guys. That's been great. So,now I know that hte original wave of transformers was 18 Autobots and 10 Depticons, andnow I have all the others of Genreation 1 at my fingertips.

Here's a question, though: How many versions of Optimus Prime have been produced: I mean, I know there's Generation 1, Generation 2, and a bunch other variations. Is the original version still available to buy?

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    There have been a TON of Optimus Primes...I'd suggest again going to tfu.info and searching by Name from the lefthand column...I'm not sure it they have everylast one of them, but the'll probably have a decent chunk of Optimus Primes, as well as Optimus Primals, the leader from the Beast Wars era.

As for buying the original Prime, ebay is the only place and to get one in decent shape expect to pay a LOT. Hope you enjoy the TF fandom!

16. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I'm guessing your're living up to your codename....you have heard of e-bay, right? If not, it's your best bet unless you want to try people here. On the other hand, maybe you meant, "is it available in stores still" and the answer is "of course not" unless you have some good comic shops in your area. Good luck!

17. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    For my personal fun I'm going to try to answer the Optimus Prime question without looking up anything. I will also include Primals, and Convoy in case they're equivalents of which are called Optimus Prime in the west, or the same character in a Convoy only body. I'm not going to include reissues (even variant ones like New Year Convoy), PVCs or 3" Titanium.

G1:
    Original (Convoy in Japan)
    PowerMaster (Ginrai in Japan, but different character)
    Action Master (was this released in Japan?)
    Star Convoy (from Japanese Battlestars: Return of Convoy)

G2:
    Repaint of the original
    Laser Optimus Prime
    Hero Optimus Prime
    Go-Bot

Machine Wars:
    Optimus Prime

Beast Wars:
    Optimus Primal as:
    - bat
    - gorilla
    - TransMetal
    - Optimal Optimus
    - 2 different 10th anniv. versions this year (1 Not in Japan?)
    - Pre-Earth version in BotCon set (not in Japan)
    (All Convoy in Japan afaik, Japan also had Lio Convoy in BWII and Big Convoy in BW Neo, but different characters)

Beast Machines:
    1 Optimus Primal, but with 3 toy versions.

Car Robots:
    Fire Convoy (later Optimus Prime in RiD)

Unicron trilogy (I don't remember the Japanese names aside from them all hacing Convoy in them):
    1 large Optimus Prime in Armada (followed by several repaints)
    1 large version (also later repainted in different lines)
    1 large Optimus in Energon (any repaints?)
    1 small Optimus in Energon (again, repaints?)
    2 colour variants in Cybertron
    Same 2 variants in Legends of Cybertron

McDonalds:
    Beast Machines Optimus Primal
    Armada Optimus Prime
    Energon Optimus Prime

Choro-Q:
    2 colour variants of G1 Convoy

WST:
    3 colour variants of G1 Convoy

RobotMasters:
    2 colour variants of G1 Convoy
    2 colour variants of BW Convoy
    (2 colour variants of BWII Lio Convoy)

Master Piece:
    2 Releases of G1 Convoy, 1 without trailer, 1 with
    In the west as 20th Anniv. Optimus Prime, but I'm not sure how often and with what variations

THS:
    G1 Convoy
    Galaxy Convoy

6" Titanium:
    War Within Optimus Prime
    RiD Optimus Prime

Alternators:
    Prime as Dodge Ram (Convoy in Kiss Players line)

I don't know a lot about Kabaya, but I have the Car Robots Fire Convoy.

What's lacking in this list is the Rodimus Primes, but oh well...

18. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

19. cluelessguy

cluelessguy Member

I didn't mean if I could actually get a vintage toy from back int he eighties. I meant, have they reissued them at all, so that it's the same thing. Same model, transforms the same, you know.

20. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Takara and Hasbro have reissued them a few times, total.

Takara reissued Prime, Ultra Magnus and Hot Rodimus (Hot Rod here in the west) in 2000. They then later reissued Prime again in....2002? as New Years Convoy (it had blue eyes and clear blue plastic instead of the light orange of the normal version) and came with a metal Matrix of Leadership necklace, a repainted Actionmaster Convoy (Convoy is the japanese name of Optimus Prime), a mousepad and a stickersheet and a few other accessories (click here: http://www.tfu.info/2002/Cybertron/NewYearsConvoy/nyconvoy.htm)

Then Hasbro released their own "reissue" of Optimus in 2002 as well. They had to remold the smokestacks to be shorter and also the missiles to be longer to abide with toy safety laws.

Later on, in 2003, Takara reissued Convoy AGAIN, but this time with a different box (so-called "book box" reissues) and included a new accessory: the Energon Axe he used in the cartoon. It also came with a binder to hold the info cards from the other book box reissues.

There have also been a couple versions of Masterpiece Convoy and 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime since 2004. They're very large, very intricate and show-accurate renditions of Prime/Convoy. And then the THS-02 release of Convoy as well...a small 4 inch version which is highly-detailed, also very intricate and nearly show-accurate as well.