What is the worst classic figure so far? and why?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kwickstrike, Feb 3, 2009.

1. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cheetor by far. The robot mode is atrocious.

2. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Bots: Grimlock. Yanno, he SHOULD be a good toy, but he really just does nothing for me. I guess he's just not Grimlock-y enough for me.

Cons: There isn't really one, but I'm going to have to go with Classics Starscream (as opposed to the Universe repaint). I was SERIOUSLY underwhelmed by him.

3. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    I think the worst is Tankor. Nice try but he should have been a voyager not a deluxe. same with galvatron.

4. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Universe 2.0 Tankor/Octane. It looks good, in all 3 modes imo, but He is just to fiddly.

I personally don't understand all of the hate for Grimlock. He has great articulation, and an overall kickass mold.

5. ponn01

ponn01 Black Lantern

Tankor. I swear he goes to pieces just looking at him and his bot mode design took a huge hit for his two vehicle modes.

Second place would go to Galvatron mini-me.

6. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

can't understand all the Grimlock hatred, I love mine. But I got the Henkei one which I think looks a lot nicer and reminds me a lot of the original. I love the bot mode, I just hang the tail on his back like I do with Dinobot and Cheetor. I hate tail weapons.

for bots? Not sure. Powerglide has big ugly man boobs, Hound looks really cartoony and his projector gun wont stay on his shoulder at all, then there's Ironhide.

Have to go with Ironhide. Ugly alt mode, but the head tilt, blue face, and his HUGE diaper really bug me. Especially the diaper.

for cons? I can't really think of one. I guess I got lucky with Galvatron, I've never had a problem with him, and since deluxe is my favorite size I have no problems with the size of him. Maybe Henkei Thundercracker. Huge price tag with bad quality control.

Honestly I really love the Classics/Universe line, though technically there's 'something' to dislike about almost all of the molds. Even Optimus/Magnus as awesome as they are, I really wish they didn't have windshields and doors hanging off their forearms.

Cyclonus however, is pure joy. Perfect in every way.

7. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I'd have to say Powerglide. He's fun to transform and all but the wings don't really clip on the body in robot mode and his toes\legs aren't stable enough to support him in many poses.

The rest aren't really bad by any means, they're all really fun in their own right. Even Galvatron, which I personally find mighty awesome, and Octane.

8. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    The articulation, sure. But the mold? Making the head and neck of his dino mode into his legs was a terrible choice. It hampers what could have been better articulation, and the jaws making up the feet are ugly as sin (Everytime he transforms again, I get the impression he has the taste of dirt in his mouth.)

I think for a figure on its own, it might have been alright. But for Grimlock? They would have done well to have stuck with something closer to the original scheme than making up this one.

9. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

The worst one that I own is Leo Prime. He would have been so much cooler if they just put a single iota of thought into designing his arms and legs.

But I suppose that's more of an issue with the older Leo Breaker mold.

I would also agree with the Grimlock hate, if only because they clearly gave up on a certain aspects that would have made it a more solid figure, such as pegs on the shoulders and neck. And the feet are terrible, too.

10. Soran

Soran Starscream Fanboy

Hmm, out of all my classics, henkei and and universe toys

Prowl: i prefer that my toy doesnt have white paint coming off on my fingers and doors popping off thk u very much. The part that attaches the head to the body reminds me of those tribal women in thailand that extend their neck with rings

Grimlock: i like the t-rex mode, but the robot mode is utter fail using its dino-head as feet, making it a total pain in the *** to get him to stand properly. Mine is permanently in dino mode.

Astrotrain: His shuttle mode is atrocious with train kibble on the side. I won't have minded if they enlarged him to voyager size and use the larger mass to do a better job of it. I keep mine in robot mode all the time.

11. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

Hands down: SILVERBBOLT!

This dude is TOO simple in design/coversion complexity. Horrible back kibble. It seems more like an AEC toy... A step back from 2.0 imo.

12. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

I haven't played with mine in a little while, but I could've swore there were 2 panels right next to his head that flipped down to help stabilize the arms.

personally I like the Dinohead=feet. I think it's very unique looking. And his legs being chromed and the glowing red autobot symbol on his chest all make him look awesome to me. Only thing I don't like is the gun mount in alt mode.

Honestly I love all the classics/universe toys. They're just fun and solid instead of finicky and full of little panels that want to break off.

13. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    grimlock.. and henkei made it even worse

14. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Cheetor - I'm not too fond of BW figures.
    Acid Storm - really a boring figure with a dull colourscheme... he looks like something my cat threw up.

15. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

Hmmmm...

Cons: I'd say it's a toss-up between Tankor and the Starscream mold. Tankors arms, super-deformed fists, lack of any kind of neck, stupid comb-of-doom, and his huge boxy legs make him my least favorite. I wasn't even planning on buying him, but when Walmart had the $7 deluxe sale, I couldn't pass him up. I still think he's cool in his own way, and I was actually more impressed with him than I thought I'd be.

The Starscream mold pisses me off cause the guns are so friggin' huge! Really restricts the articulation (I know the wings fold back, but then 'bot mode doesn't look so good), and the nosecone growing out the back of his head I find irritating.

I thought I was gonna hate Galvitron, but I picked him up too during the $7 goodness, and I think he's friggin' awesome! I was shocked. Mine isn't loose at all, and nothing fell off when I transformed him. Sure he's small, but dude, he's intense.

Bots: Probably Jetfire. He should be a lot cooler than he turned out. Mostly because of his legs. He's missing a vital swivel above the knee that totally restricts movement. This is even more effected by being top-heavy.

I still like all of these molds, but they're my least favorite of the line.

Best ones?

Cons: Cyclonus and Onslaught (japanese edition). Cyclonus is just awesome sauce x 2, and the Japanese edition Onslaught has fixed electronics and the legs peg together and stay together.

Bots: Three-way tie: Hound, Mirage, Sunstreaker/Sideswipe. The twins are awesome (though the feet could have been better). Mirage is just about perfect, and I'm going to get the Henkei version. Hound is just about perfect as well. In fact, I believe he has taken the spot as my favorite transformer ever. I got the Henkei version, and other than a bit of paint on one of his eyes, the paint and chrome are flawless. And I figured out how to keep shoulder cannon (hologram projector?) on his shoulder.

16. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

Octane (Tankor) is the worst...easily.

His feet...and his spinning Comb of Death are pure meh. I wish I never bought him.

17. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't like the leaders. Megatron and Prime should be bigger (Leader class would be nice) and Megs should have been a tank.

18. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To me the majority of the Universe / Classics Line have been a great upgrade and supplement to their original counterparts. No replacement though but close. However, I am not overly impressed where many of the new voyagers in the universe line are just doing the old repaint of a cybertron mold thing but it could be worse and to be fair some of the cybertron molds were good.

The Seeker Jets seem to represent the best scale / copy / upgrade out of all of them so far. Next maybe Hotrod, Astrotrain and the Cars like Sunstreaker, Sideswipe etc. To me, these are probably the closest direct match and upgrade to the originals.

I am inclined to agree on some like Galvatron, Tankor, Grimlock which could have been much better but still a good effort. Nerf gun Megatron is fixed by the Henkei version so that’s ok. Grimlock remains my biggest disappointment. Still MP Grimlock takes care of that issue for a classics / universe scale toy.

Powerglide is a bit meh, but is a massive improvement over his G1. Same as Silverbolt and Onslaught, which in my opinion are great. Universe offers, articulation, in some cases good accuracy and importantly, the chance for toys to pull of more poses than the G1 diecast brick with arms effect that we all love.

Cybertron Soundwave takes care of that toy so no need for a classics / universe version and Blaster although an easy option repaint, it is pretty tidy.

In summary, Grimlock is the worst by a long shot because; he is a poor representation of such an awesome and notable G1 character. There are some poor attempts in universe with the cybertron repaints but these don’t represent such an important character which was involved in many storylines throughout the eras.

19. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cheetor is a waste of plastic. It's beast mode is excellent, but not cool enough to redeem the lackluster robot mode.

20. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Jetfire. Visible fists in jet mode and stupid helmet.