What is the point?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by theone74, Jun 6, 2007.

1. theone74

theone74 Banned

I was just wondering, is it possible for any of you Transfans to collect without complaining. I read a lot on here and a LOT of you complain about the dumbest things. I never understand how some of you go as far as to participate in every topic concerning a certain figure just to bitch. I have been collecting since G1 and its fun for me and I have NEVER complained about anything, I just enjoy the hell out of my hobby/passion. Some of you even go out of your way just to be negative… I mean common, what is the point in bitching about the Target gift card? What happened to don’t like don’t buy? To think that most of you are adults is mind-boggling

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Finally a post that makes sense. Wish there were more people like you around here. :) 

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I usually go by the "don't like it, don't buy it" rule too. I really don't see the point in complaining about something, so I usually don't complain at all. There are certain topics that can reasonably be complained about, like Classics ending after such a short run.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I agree with the "don't like it, don't buy it" arguement. I see no reason to complain about something that you don't plan to own, or a freebie (seriously, some people complain about mini-Frenzy that comes with Barricade).

HOWEVER, there are plenty of complaints that I either understand or agree with. This is mostly with design issues (Brawl's shoulders, Blackout's automorph etc.) so those at least make sense to bitch about.

5. SocrManiac

SocrManiac TFW2005 Supporter

I agree that there's little point in complaining. Posts that are nothing more than "turd" or "pass" seem rather pointless to me. Why take the energy to post?

That said, you find this in any community. People put alot of time and energy into their passions, and begin to feel a certain ownership of their fandom regardless of the subject. Over time, they get rather jaded and the negativity creeps in. At some point it's time to take a break or move on entirely.

6. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Complaining is bad. Criticism on the other hand is perfectly acceptable imho. For example 'pass' or 'wont be buying' are completely pointless posts.

However, something along the lines of 'not too sure, im a bit iffy on the *insert iffy aspect here eg leg articulation, arms, kibble etc*' is alright. IMPO

7. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

What often irks me, and keeps me from buying, are quality control issues. While I like that TFs have painted-on detailing today instead of the stickers of old, I see so many flaws and flubs that sometimes I won't buy one I otherwise would.

I was hoping the QC would've been improved some for the movie figs, given how high profile it is, but I don't think that's been the case. I saw several Barricades that were just abysmal. Makes it a good thing Jazz doesn't have that much - less to screw up.

... or it could just be a problem with looking at kids toys with adult eyes... ;) 

8. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    While there are a lot of bitching and complaining going on, there are also a lot of solutions and ideas hidden among the posts, which are very helpful. The fact of the matter is if you are passionate about something, you are bound to bitch about it when it's not going your way, thus, welcome to fandom :lol 

9. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    YEAH i understand that (not that Im an adult yet... 8 months to go on that count)

Like my TF07 Brawl's autmorph on his shoulder is slighty busted in that the left hand tread wont rotate up when the chest is pushed down. It STILL rotates up old skool style by hand, but its somehow diminished in my eyes...

PS Yeah anyone know of a fix for this?

10. theone74

theone74 Banned

I dont understand when people go out of their way to type "it looks like shit". QC complaints are understandable but Frenzy complaints? Common.

11. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

If your Brawl still works, automorph or not, feel fortunate. At least it's not as bad as the Bumblebee fiasco - there's no "old skool" workaround for that. Once it breaks, it's done.

12. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think a lot of it comes from people growing up with GeeWun and comparing today's stuff with their fond memories of days gone by. And sometimes those memories are a bit biased, like thinking my Metroplex was the shit in the day and looking at him on my shelf now laughing and yelling "wow! He's a brick!" Or the guy who came in while I worked at KB toys asking for the 20th Anni Prime and describing him as "an exact replica of the one released in '84."

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Although it doesn't seem like it because they often tend to be high-volume posters, the "complainers" are very much in the minority on this board. Many folks (like myself, I believe) are fans of the franchise as a whole, and accept and roll with its various ups and downs and iterations. Doesn't mean you have to like everything, of course... but to me, staying positive and supporting/wanting to see the ongoing success of Transfomers is what makes a healthy fan.

Gotta say, I recommend utilizing the power of the ignore list - identify the folks who are perpetually (and often incoherently) complaining and those that are generally rude or demeaning to others, and throw them on your ignore list. It makes for a much more friendly and enjoyable browsing experience. You may miss a few posts here and there, but what are the chances there was anything there worth reading?

14. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    The gear inside is broken, there is no fix for it unless you can find another identical gear (happened to me too, SAME SIDE!)

15. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah I hear that. The issues you mention essentially ruin the figures so ought to be pointed out. Though complaining is extremely overdone, I don't know if I like the 'totally loving everything no matter what' position on the opposite end either.

16. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thread is hypocritical

17. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Remember when people were screaming about the movie? Before we saw a script, or what any of the bots looked like, or any details at all people were screaming. There are some people that will just complain bitterly about anything.

I prefer to give things a chance. I dearly love 99% of the TF's I buy. There are a few molds that are just crap (Armada Sideswipe) but I could have chosen not to buy him, knowing he had issues, and I chose not to buy any of his numerous repaints. In most cases, even the most maligned mold has its charms.

QC issues I can see complaining about, because buying a toy you like, and then finding it's broken, or it breaks through no fault of your own, or it simply doesn't work the way it's supposed to, or it's assembled wrong is understandible.

I can also see some of the concerns people raise as being legitimate feedback. Stuff like 'Transforming this is tricky', or 'The instructions aren't clear on this, this is what you have to do', or 'This guy doesn't have very good articulation' is important because the rest of us read this and use it to help us judge if we want the figure or not.

But I agree, posts like 'This figure isn't movie accurate! Therefore it sucks!' or 'All movie figures suck' or 'Barricad iz t3h p00 becauz Frenzy sux0r!' or really any post where someone just chimes in to say something sucks without saying WHY is a waste of bandwidth and a second or two of my life wasted reading it I'd like back.

18. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Um, Why are you bitching about us bitching? It seems a little bitchy to me:poke 

19. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I'm only complaining about people complaining about my right to be complaining on a forum.

20. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Mine too. And I am not bitching, just stating that Brawl has some issues.

I do agree there are certain posters who 99% of the time post negative responses. They will not stop so the best I can offer is use the "ignore" feature. That's why it is there.