What Is The One Figure That "Got Away"?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jan 15, 2009.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Let me just say that I am an avid TF Classics/Universe collector. I LOVE this line....it's what got me into TF collecting in the first place.

I just happened to see the Classics Deluxe figures at my local Wal-mart in 2006 and suddenly, all of the nostalgia and memories came rushing back to me and I felt like a kid again. I remember, people were practically swarming around the island that they had set up in the toy section for TF Classics. I had to see what was going on......and the rest is history. The Classics line reminded me how great Transformers (G1 especially) really were.

That's why Universe/Classics will always be my favorite and have a special place in my collection. They are the G1 characters and designs that are made how they were meant to be. They aren't their blocky, un-cartoon accurate counterparts from the 80's. I wish we would've had G1 toys this great when we were kids in the 80's.

Don't get me wrong though I LOVE G1......I had a couple of original G1 figures before I officially got into full-time TF collecting.

WTS......this brings me to the subject of this thread. Do any of you have a particular figure that you kept passing up at retail because you may have been "on the fence" about this figure and when it came time to buy TFs you always put other figures ahead of this one for one reason or another?

Mine was Classics Jetfire......I always put buying this one off until it was too late. I saw it at retail tons of times and even had it in my cart on a few occasions and always put it back on the shelf only to buy something else.

This even happened in August 2007. The Movie line was in full craze and stock was extremely low. Suddenly my Super Wal-mart had brought out massive amounts of Classics Mirage, Grimlock, and Rodimus and Voyager Jetfire and Constructicon Devastator too........all on clearance.

(Alot of Wal-marts suddenly pulled out old Classics figures when the movie line was so hot and sold out too quick. They all had their own inventory just sitting in the back collecting dust......and pulled it back out when the pegs for the movie toys became barren and Hasbro couldn't get new product out quick enough.)

Anyway, Classics Jetfire is the figure that got away for me. They had a whole endcap full of Jetfire and for some reason he was the only Classics figure that they brought back out that wasn't on clearance. He was still the usual $19.96.......for this reason, I kept putting off buying him until it was too late and they all disappeared.

I'm still kicking myself for this......I wish I would've bought a couple of this great figure. Now, he sells for above retail on ebay.

So, I know we've all been through similar situations.....we put off buying that certain figure until they become the one figure that got away.

THANKS for taking the time to read my extra-long post and thanks for posting as well.

2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I wish I had started buying Alternators from the first day I'd seen them. I wasn't collecting TF's at the time, but really wanted to get them and passed. Now I'm paying over retail to get them.:scalper 

3. Sideways

Sideways Banned

I passed on those Energon combiners, like Bruticus Maximus and Superion Maximus.
    I wish I would have bought them when I first saw them.

4. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Takara MP-01 on matrixcollectibles/imageanime.com when it first came out. I couldn't conjure up the interest or rationalize $90 for the figure back then. *facepalm*

5. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Cybertron Metroplex.
    The $10 coupon expired the day before I finally treked to toys r us to pick up their last $40 metroplex. At the time I was'nt going to justify that price for the terrible reviews its alt mode was getting online, I later bought the thing shipped for $27 online but the guy I bought it from never shipped it. And could not be contacted afterwards. It really got away.

g1 darkwing
    Its presumably in storage somewhere as one of my childhood transformers. But it would be A lot of work to try and find it. Unfortunately I can't find a good price on a new one to display, the thing is always $80- $120; or there is some problem with them like the head won't pop up, and the transformation bar is broken or stressed.

Thank heaven for the classics universe repaint as I'm going to buy a ton of those. :) 

Classics Dinobot minicons and Aerial force minicons.
    I came so close to buying these classics minicons, the aerial team did'nt look very impressive for $8.
    And the dinobot team Seemed to offer some aesthetic issues: but I liked the minicon teams I had thus far and almost bought the last card in overstock had it not been for some one previously spilling shampoo on the back of the card. I had to put it back.

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    when i first started collecting again last winter i seen classic optimus prime quite a few times only to have never bought him. :( 

7. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Classics Mirage was one of the only classics I passed up at retail over and over. I finally got a bug to get him the last few months and picked him up on fleabay for $12, so not bad but had to pay for the shipping as well.

My main disappointment I still have is not getting Energon Unicron. I was no where near being a serious collector at the time. I had picked up a handful of G1 reissues maybe and that was all I had. But I still remember seeing him in store, thinking wow he looks so much cooler in black but he's huge and no way dishing out that much for toy. So now I have to settle with the Universe Unicron I just got, as finding a MISB Energon gets pretty expensive especially with shipping.

8. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine has to be Japanese beastwars tigatron, Gah!

9. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    as always me and a bunch of other ppl here thought "ph well that ehobby Astrotrain aint goign nowere...now he is 300+ MISB.

why oh why did I not buy him directly as i did with all other e-hobbys.

10. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I kept debating whether to get the prime voice changing helmet...

Then they came out with the Cullen ones. Lets just say I love it.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

The TRU Re-issues. I didn't even really know what they were when I saw them years ago. I wish I had nabed that Skaywarp, though...

Then there was Armada Wheeljack. I thought he was so cool, but the one time I saw him I couldn't get him, and I never got a shot at the mold again. (the BotCon exclusive redeco was out of my price range)

Then there was That Pla-Kit Grand Convoy at Botcon last year. only $10 and I could have bought it right then and there, but I held off until after lunch. It was gone when I came back and the guy said he wouldn't have any more out until tomorow (it was Sat.). I wasn't coming back on Sunday, and I never did get another chance to get it. That $10 did go towards getting my G1 Flywheels, though, and I did end up wanting an Energon Nemesis Prime. After I found out what a load of crap that kit had really been, I decided to try and make the main retail version into Nemesis Prime. Luckly, a friend of mine had this beat up Energon Prime near complete that I could use, and my progress is in my avatar.

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I will echo this sentiment. Which is why I jumped on Henkei Astrotrain. I was afraid he would turn into another.

13. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ditto.
    You must be "that guy" that's always outbidding me in the last 20 seconds! :duel 

This is one of the toys that got me back into collecting! I didn't know anything about the Trilogy back then, but when I heard that they finally made a Unicron toy I was frothing at the mouth. I was a bit disappointed to see him painted black (he was always orange in my mind), but now I have ZERO regrets. What a badass!
    I've also given him a cool "armada": Deluxe Unicron & Sideways!

Kinda bummed I passed on Primus all those times.... He was sitting in Walmarts for years!

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Optimal Optimus. When I was in college the local TRU still had one on shelves well into Armada's run. I kept passing on it, but eventually started watching Beast Wars and realized that I really wanted it. By then someone else finally bought it, of course.

15. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The TFC Insecticon set I am not going to pay what it is going for now on e-bay.

16. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Most of the Cybertron line, I went off TFs for a while during its run and only after found out what great figures they were. Lucky for me they're still being repainted.

17. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I actually felt the same way about this guy, and a few years ago I rectified that. During one sale at BBTS they had one on sale for $30! I so bought it. Less then retail and MISB at that!

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    There are a few that have always seemed to "get away"; I missed out on a Diaclone Trainbot (Raiden) last year, I was outbid at the last second by £2.
    But the main one is Classics Devastator. I missed out on him when he was in Energon, and never managed to get the Classics version; other than Minicons it's the only Classics 1.0 figure I need. Preferably, I want him MISB because I love opening new toys.
    I kept an eye open for him at Botcon last year,but the only one I could find was AFA graded and had a $200 price on it. I may really want the figure, but I flat out refuse to pay cretinous prices for it just because it's sealed in a case that I'd only have cracked open the second I got back to my hotel room. I'll be looking again at Botcon this year, and hopefully I'll be able to find one...

19. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    As I started with the movie line, I don't have any huge misses. However, I do have one thing that bothers me. Ironically, its my movie line repaints. I bought Rescue Ratchet, Deep Space Starscream, Stealth Bumblebee, and Off-Road Ironhide. At the time it didn't bother me, but looking back on it I wish I just would have got the normal versions of each character. Everyone was so quick for them to leave the shelves that I thought Ebaying them wouldn't be a problem. However, I have a hard time convinving myself to pay $40 for a movie Voyager Class figure when even my Classics Prime only cost me $25.

Needless to say, I am done with buying "crazy" repaint figures in general.

20. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

Energon Omega Supreme. To this day, I still havent been able to snag one up. I wish I had when Energon was around.Him and Beachcomber