What is the movieverse missing most?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ceasar121, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    As the title says, what is the movieverse lacking?

For me, it's not the bot designs, tho I wish Megs and Starscream were more recognizeable(sp).

Action scenes are awesome, if a bit short and one sided.

The stories are fine, Transformers story was always a battle over energy of some sort so thats fine.

For me, it's the characters. Only Prime, Bumblebee and Ironhide have any depth. The cons (and Autobots for that matter) shared very little banter between themselves, save for the Twins and Megatron and Starscream. Even then, the cons personalities were lame. Megatron was decently handled (even though I can't see Megs taking orders from anyone, if anything, his partnering with the Fallen should have been an uneasy alliance), but they turned Starscream into Igor... He doesn't boss the other cons around, never back talks Megatron, and in ROTF, he didn't do any decent fighting in bot mode or plane mode. Sideswipe, no character. Arcee, nothing. No other Cons even said anything.

The GI Joe movie had lots of flaws, but all its characters had some personality.

Michael Bay, I'm not asking you to turn TF3 into some sort of character piece, but please give more banter from the bots, AND FOR THE LOVE OF PRIMUS, don't eff up Starscream!!! Why did the game do Starscream better than the movie!?
    As much as I liked the Twins, give them the background, and lets give other bots more lines and personal banter. That's what I liked about the Twins... they seemed alive. Skids got emotional when he thought Mudflap was gonna die, and even got vengeful when Mudflap busted loose.

2. Liselotte

Liselotte Revenge is coming... TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i think SS ordered Rampage to pursue Sam in the movie.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't see anything missing.

4. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Class, Tact, Taste, Acting, Directing, Writing, Editing, Continuity Checkers, Fewer Mistake, Fewer Lame Excuses For Said Mistakes, I could do this all day but I think you get the idea.

5. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

i thought it was coherence?

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Good scriptwriting.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    In large part.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I agree it does seem like there isn't much of a connection between the robots and that makes them feel a little less real. Without lines several of the robots come across as just background material and not actual characters. Even if it was just a few lines of banter it might make the robots feel a bit more real and give the viewer a bit of connection so that it matters if the character lives or dies.

I think the films could also use a bit of tension. It just seems like the Decepticon plans are too big to ever pull off in an American film or depend too much on just one item. I know G1 had it's flaws but at least with stealing energy to get an edge in the war you could feel like the Decepticons could win a few here and there.

I'd also hope the third film could get back to the feeling of the robots could be anywhere at any time. Between Autobots being in the governments pocket and the good guys being able to detect Decepticons it just seems like we are missing the fun of that car in the parking lot could be an Autobot or that drink machine is about to go postal on you.

Might be nice if they could touch on factions in the Transformers outside of just the followers of Prime and just the followers of Megatron, but then the movies are only about 2 hours so there is only so much you can touch on.

9. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I'm with the characters. A few lines of dialogue are all we need to get a feel for who the character is.

Hell, have them do it in alt mode. Gives GM a boner AND gives fans some characters with zero cost to ILM.

I think the Decepticons need it the most. We got a lot of SS and Megs in the movie (which I loved), a bit of Soundwave (more about what he does than who he is), and...that was kind of it. Everyone else was cannon fodder. I don't expect the bad guys to get buckets of screentime, but I wish they could put up a better fight and maybe make me silently root for them.

10. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I don't understand why Bay doesn't/didn't realize the background banter between bots would really bring the movie together. As cheesy as the Sam's backyard scene was in the first movie, the banter between bots was present. Little subtle things like Ironhide saying "thats going to rust", were great. Having Starscream walk off and say something slick under his breath would be great... Sideswipe talking about his paint job etc etc... Best part is that this stuff could go on in the background, so ILM wouldn't have to fully detail the models and they could still be onscreen.

Lots of times Bots/Cons were onscreen just standing there. IDK maybe they have a one robot talks at a time rule :D 

11. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

More robot screen time. Instead of introducing new characters in which half of them are in the background, doing and saying very little, why not give some focus on the characters already introduced.

12. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

i'd go with this and fuel the jet

13. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Autobots.

We get, like, 239239293 awesome new decepticons with CRRRRRRRAZY abilities but like 5 Autobots that are the same "MOST EFFECTIVE WARRIOR EVER WITH DEEP VOICE" as the other 5, that's why I like Skids and Mudflap, they bring new flavor to this ice cream.

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think you guys are hitting the nail on the head with saying its a lack of characterization.

Especially in RoTF, it seems like the tfs are nothing more than plot devices, which is a shame given the rich characterization of the franchise (one of its best features), for both Autobots and Decepticons. Obviously, its cheaper and easier and somewhat more convincing for the real actors to be giving performances, but its a lost opportunity to have all the robots just show up, give their line, and fight in a blur of wordless, whirring metal rather than use them as an actual part of the cast.

15. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Add my name to the "treatment of the robots as main characters" list.

16. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I agree that some simple banter and back and forth here and there could do a LOT for the robots in the film to actually make them characters. Not even so much for the Cons, I can stand them being all "background grunts" and such. But the 'bots, they should actually talk to each other.

That and the constant need for the Mcguffin. I'm really hoping the final film doesn't make use of any more ancient super artifacts and just sticks with a good old fashion good vs evil struggle. Make it so the cons need energy and are attacking human energy resources and gathering what they can while the Autobots try to stop them. Only to have the final battle be the result of why the 'cons were gathering the energy and the bots having to stop it. A nice, simple story that can be told through lots of action sequences, nothing convoluted or complex, just a good old fashion war for energy.

17. AllSpark Shard

AllSpark Shard Squirrel-flattener

I am happy with the movies i just wish there were less stupid jokes or sexual jokes...If the humor could be a little more creative and be what its supposed to be, funny, then the movies will be more complete for me. Also, more character development would be great and more screentime for the Transformers...theyre so complex to render, yeah, but if they can have Wheelie hump├Čng, they can have them do something cool, no matter render time.

18. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Less of Bay's humor. While I didn't like some of the humor in 2007, at the very least it didn't completely detract from the film. The humor of ROTF was used as a crutch to fill-in gaps between action scenes. Humor should complement the plot, not replace it.

19. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    A director and RID homages. Bay's "talents" would make more sense if he was working in the visual/special affects teams. As for RID homages, as a big RID fan, I believe that you can never have too many of them.

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

A decent plot, less Bay humor, less of the Twins, good writting and decent characterzation (and this coming from someone who LIKES the movie.)