What is the most Unique Reason Why you bought a Transformer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Medri Fogmatio, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Medri Fogmatio

Medri Fogmatio Autobot

What is a reason that you bought a Transformer that is unique, beyond the norm, etc? Answers that don't count really include, Collection Completion, Obsessed with Mold, or Low price. Something very odd, or interesting about the figures you collect that spur you to want it and own it.

I'll give an example:

Botcon 2011 Action Master (Shattered Glass) Thundercracker:

[​IMG]

By all means I don't like the colors, I don't like the mold that much, never been a fan of seekers. I don't own any shattered glass figures so that wouldn't work. Hell I'm even trying to sell it.

The Thing is... I bought it and had to get it as a Joke, as a bet between me and a friend. I saw the original Action Master Thundercracker and all the Digital Mock up repaints and Just shook my head. I couldn't believe how ugly it was. It was as though a color blind person made the figure. So I mocked it, joked about it. Until finally I said "They would NEVER redo this figure in a million years." And My friend said they probably would as an exclusive of some kind.

That is when the wager was made.

I said, if they did make it, I would buy it. Much later on, It was real. And I am a man of my word, so I asked a good friend from the VTC when they went to last year's Botcon to grab me one if they didn't mind. And sure enough I got it and now here it is.

Moral of the story, don't underestimate the power of the fanbase, they can make things happen.

Now it is your turn! Share away

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cause it was a fuggin' biplane! (RotF Ransack, duh)

3. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    I bought HA Target Excl. Leadfoot for Steeljaw 'cause I think he's cool. I gave away Leadfoot.

4. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I bought an Action Master Thundercracker because it was popular. Looking at it in hand, I think it's wonderful.

5. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't even remember what the toy was, but I remember buying one form ebay because the listing had a really cool remix of Transformers playing.

6. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Ejector. Because he's a freakin' toaster :lol 

As a side note, I once bought a gundam because of its ridiculous color scheme, a similar situation to the OP. It was the 1/144 Pro Zaku Warrior Live Concert version. That along with Ejector are two of the figures that have been on my desk the longest, both since Ejector came out in 2009.

7. Primal_Grimlock

Primal_Grimlock Gettin' outta collectin'

The Scout Obi Wan TF I bought the other week.

Because I have a weakness for Obi-Wan...;) 

8. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I bought TransMetals Ramulus because my girl and I travel a lot, on a trip to Alaska we saw a herd of Dall Sheep climbing up a mountain. I saw Ramulus on Ebay for like 10 bucks and showed Jennir, we both agreed it was cool enough to own.

One of the only Beast era TFs I own. Pretty nice figure too.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    BM Nightviper cause its a snake thats not an evil character.

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought a HFTD legends Sandstorm because I wanted to try and paint it into Beachcomber. Ended up failing miserably. I also bought a WFC Optimus Prime because I wanted to try and copy that dude who did the Ultra Magnus custom with the Barricade head. Also failed miserably.

11. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

I am unfortunately with you on this! I also bought Armada Sideswipe( I think) because his alt mode was a Nissan Skyline. Oops.

12. megatronski

megatronski Primaris

News Credits:
    I got a Roll Out Supreme Optimus Prime At a thrift store for 5 or so bucks only cause i liked the moving face-plate gimmick. He is the worst Transformer I own.

13. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ejector because he's a freaking toaster. In fact he's so awesome that whenever I was visiting some Walmart and saw that they were clearing out some old stock to make room for the then new movie figures and they had scouts for $5 and 4 Ejectors, I proceeded into buying up the whole lot. Now I have a small army of killer toasters. I'm so happy. :D 

Edit: Just checked my collection and found that I only have 4 total, so not too bad.

14. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Stampy I bought because of a nickname... girlfriend's nickname was "Toaster Bunny" and I gave her an Ejector before, so I gave her a Stampy to finish the nickname.

15. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Same thing I was going to say!

EDIT:
    Also this.

16. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I picked up a bunch of power core combiners with the idea to repaint them into pretender monsters. I used two of the same mold and the woman who rang me up asked if I knew I had two. Maybe not the weirdest thing ever, but out there for me.

17. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Oh, and I bought Micromaster Swindle because he's an Autobot. Named Swindle. That just tickles me.

18. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I bought a DotM Roadbuster to scavenge the legs and replace the legs of a HftD Tomahawk.

Just a straight balljoint swap, paint the green bits black and, to my great surprise and joy, it actually fit without trouble, and still transformed! And now my Tomahawk has decent legs. :D 

I still have half a Roadbuster on my desk. He's a bit dead, I'm afraid.

19. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sounds cool. Any pictures? And would this work with DOTM Vortex? Not that I hate the legs on my Vortex, but I'm curious to see how your custom mod/swap turned out, thanks.

Back on topic, I collect Seekers not just because I'm a fan of the characters but also because I dig jets (I'm USAF). Movie Masterpiece Starscream is just awesome for this purpose, along with his DOTM Deluxe version (I have Skywarp, Thundercracker, and a bunch of Screamer custom repaints) and the Classics/Henkei Seekers.

I also think MP-03 Greenscream is quite handsome with his non-G1 color scheme (for the record, there are actual F-15 jets with the dark greenish gray scheme; they just aren't as common as the gunmetal gray). Although the F-15 Eagle has been semi-retired from active service (/sadface), I plan to keep MP-03 for a very long time (well past my military retirement, lord willing) and even display him in alt mode inside a (locked to prevent sticky fingers) glass cabinet case if I ever get my own office at work one day. =)

Oh, and the custom DOTM Deluxe Barricade figure below in my sig I bought mostly because it looks very much like my car, a brand new 2012 V6 Premium Mustang with the works. XD If I can figure out how to display him on top of the dashboard without him rolling away during turns, I would, haha.

20. Cogar

Cogar Follower of the Code

I work in the mining industry, so I had to have Long Haul when I saw him. I later added Rampage. I keep them in their alternate modes.