What is the greatest transformers episode of all time?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Jul 3, 2009.

1. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    nothing will ever come close to Code of hero.....only cartoon death that made me shed a tear (and i was 16 deer gawd lol it suprised me)

2. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

When you do these threads you practically have to say "Besides Code of Hero." Even McNiel cried after voicing the part.

Besides CoH I have to say Return of Optimus Prime 2. Galvatron and Prime shaking hands is a good place to end it, and if you don't count Rebirth or Headmasters, it pretty much makes that the end of G1.

More Recently Mortal Combat has ranked high up there for having a gigantic throw down. The final two eps of Beast Machines were also pretty epic for just being a gigantic fight between the Maximals and millions of Drones where every character dies.

3. KremzeekTyCobb

KremzeekTyCobb Tears that soak a callous heart

News Credits:
    Hmmm..I know as a newbie I'm liable to get blasted here, but I really liked "Web world."

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    RID episode #14- "The Decepticons", no contest.

Flame me all you want for it, but I honestly don't like BW- "Code of Hero" at all.

:confused2 

5. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

Yes! Someone else that understands!

Crazy G1 Galvatron, in all his insane glory! Yes.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    The problem with "greatest episode of all time" question/polls is that what does that mean? Are you talking the one TF episode that really managed to succeed, or one that had a tremendous payoff for having watched a bunch of episodes prior?

Code of Hero is a fantastic episode. However, it's also an episode that requires you to have seen dozens of BW episodes before that to get the proper setup and effect. If it was your first episode of a Transformer series, how lost would you be and how much would Dinobots death mean to you?

Similarly BM's End of the Line is arguably the best season finale, yet requires viewing of the majority of the first season to really make sense and have maximum impact.

Another top favorite episode of mine, Animated series Megatron Rising, Parts 1 and 2 also requires the buildup of most of the first season and the Transform and Roll Out movie.

Webworld is a great story, but it does suffer from some slight pacing problems early on and lots of animation errors in the Autobot battle. However, once you get to Galvatron arriving on Torkulon, the episode becomes top notch. Given storytelling limitations in the '80's, this episode is fantastic and still one of my favorite episodes. It's also one of the few episodes that doesn't feel at all like a toy commercial.

Another G1 episode that I think gets overlooked far too often is The Golden Lagoon. The story isn't that great, but the ending is what makes the episode. Beachcomber lamenting "We won" as the panning shot shows the once pristine and beautiful grotto is nothing more then scorched earth.

Superlink's episode, Resurrection! Galvatron is a fantastic episode, easily my favorite of the entire Unicron Trilogy. Among other things, it was a single episode that drastically changed the status quo of the entire series, featured several well done battles, had a bit of philosophical rhetoric with the nature of being alive, ended on a cliffhanger, started a near series long joke (Galvatron-SAMA!), had a fantastic music score, and didn't require any previous episodes to enjoy.

Beast Wars episode Transmutate is a favorite of mine and the one I suggest as the best episode of BW to potential viewers who only want to preview an episode of a series to see if it's worth watching. It tells a heartwrenching story that's completely self contained and features some great animation and voicework.

Animated Autoboot Camp is another potential winner, as it tells a solid story very well and has a nice twist ending.

However, I think the single best episode is going to have to be Animated Thrill of the Hunt. It's a great story, great animation, and features some very dark and mature storytelling with elements like post-traumatic stress disorder. If I were trying to win someone over as a fan of Transformers, not just of Animated, I'd show them this episode. In fact, I have.

7. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

This has always been my favourite episode. What I like about it in retrospect is that it doesn't *really* beat you over the head with it's environmental message. It's kinda subtle. You never hear Beachcomber scream, "Stop! Think of the animal critters and their woodland home!" But as a kid, it actually made me think about why Beachcomber sounded so sad at the end.

8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Hard to argue with Code of Hero. That pretty much takes the cake.

I always liked Mortal Combat. That's got a lot of epicness to it.

9. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

I'm torn between two

1/ Code of Hero-BW-but as you all know Megatron from that era gave Dinobot a new body
    2/ Guardian-From Cybertron-Vector Prime dies to save the Autobots on who were on Gigantion

10. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quite a few, actually, though if I had to pick one, it's Code of Hero.

One that really got me going today was Transwarped.

11. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    Code of hero is definately up there... but I've gotta add TFA "This is why I hate machines". Mostly on Cybertron, great scenes with Shockwave, almost perfect level of serious stroytelling and humor.

12. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Code of Hero. I'm not just going with the flow in this thread, it really is an undeniably great episode.

I also had a few favorites in Animated, though not really sure which one is the best. I will say that Prowl's sacrifice in Endgame Pt. II (though that episode felt somewhat rushed) was rather moving as well.

13. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

For me, the greatest ones were Masquerade, Trans-Europe Express and Autobot Run (moreso if you exclude the animation errors). I also love Rebirth for its introductions of the various HMs and TMs -- Fort Max in particular. Quality-wise, I'd go with Call of the Primitives and any Armada episode that also made use of G1 characters as extras (such as the 1st 2 or 3 episodes of the Pilot). Problem is, I hated the CotP story (as my favorite TFs of the time -- the vehicles and Galvatron -- were frozen and depowered off-screen for nearly all of the episode). Moreover, nearly all of the Primitives were defeated for not being "primitive". Instead of using animal instinct, when confronted with Tornedron, they responded with conventional firepower. Firepower which only succeeded in "gassing up" their enemy.

14. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Return of Optimus Prime part 2. Prime returns, Rodney gets knocked out with one punch, the galaxy is saved. What's not to love?

And no, that's not the greatest episode apart from Code of Hero. I don't like Beast Wars, so CoH can bite my gorgeous ass.

15. evil ivotron

evil ivotron destroy'em all

Story wise. I have to say "A bridge to close", Transformers animated

16. DarkDranzer

DarkDranzer Well-Known Member

I loved that episode (I'm happy to admit it's my overall favourite) but for the entirety of Transformers I don't think it would be considered the greatest when comparing what came out in the later years. As it was already mentioned Code of Hero I think there are some TF Animated episodes that would come close (mostly from the third season). :) 

17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'm a big fan of the episode "Cramp" in Transformers Armada, which as we all know contains the death of Starscream. Not quite Code of Hero quality but considering what had come before it in Armada, and it was brilliant.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm going to have to say Code of Hero as well. There have been a lot of great episodes across so many series, but it's hard to beat how much character they squeezed into that episode or the impact when it's a character you wouldn't expect to go that far for what was right.

19. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

How about Five Faces of Darkness Part IV. Although I wouldn't say it's my absolute favorite, I think it can certainly be a contender. I loved every bit of the "history" involved, and it laid the groundwork for any future incarnations of the Cybertronian past.

20. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

Code of Hero (BW), followed by The Return of Optimus Prime, Part 2 (G1)