What is the dumbest thing that you have done for a toy?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Team Jetfire, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I ask this because I have been know to do some ridiculous things to get my hands on a toy that I thought would be hard to find, but later become shelf warmers and ultimately go on sale.

For example:

I was rabid for Primus with a Unicron Head. Hearing that there will only be limited run of these figures I thought that I would only have one chance to scoop this guy up. Knowing that there was some sighting of him at the local Wal-Marts I constantly went to see if he was there, but to no avail, my timing was off.
    Then during the work day someone had sighted a Primus at the Wal-Mart closest to my home and posted it. (Props to Bad Jeff, even though he is usually the one who gets everything before me :banghead: ).

I immediately called my wife on her cell, cause she has nothing better to do (just raise our kids...jeezz...j/k), and asked her to go to Wal-Mart to pick a toy up. She said she would later that afternoon. 'Later!?! Later the toy will not be there,' I thought, but what was I to do. This was my one and only chance to get the coolest toy of the year with the extra bonus head. My mind was racing; I was sweating; I couldn't concentrate on work; I NEEDED THAT TOY!!! So I did what any other crazy, idiot, toy on the brain guy would do, I left work. I booked some time off my calendar and went to the store. It was not that far away (maybe 15 min), but the fact that I needed this toy so badly that I would just leave work, without telling anyone?

I never got in trouble for it and to be honest, my boss wouldn't of cared even if he new I was gone. The funny thing is that I did get Primus, paid top dollar for it, but now, he is absolutely everywhere including the bonus, rare, limited addition Unicron Head and I am certain that the $80 price tag will be significantly reduced in a few months. :redface2: 

I have 20 other stories much the same as this...anyone else?

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

:lol , done the same thing a few times. Remember sneaking off of work to get Commemorative Series Prime.
    Freaked out other times and ordered a few goddies off ebay for way overprice, that I thought would be rare ,just to see 10 of them the next day at Walmart

And shame on your wife for not going instantly. There's no time to wait around for later when it comes to this sorda thing :lol 

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I've left work many times on my 15 minute break to pick up TFs.

4. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Hmm. I don't have much in the way of dumb stories. I guess telling my wife mom used to buy me toys when I helped her do her stuff (like helping with a sale she was hosting or something) to get her to buy me RID Prime. That was sort of stupid.

Outside of that it's just the hour and a half lunches I used to take twice a week hunting down toys. Which isn't a big deal because I didn't take a lunch at all the other three days a week.

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I've overpaid on things lots of times... but I chalk that up to impatience more than stupidity.

The stupidest thing for me was when the Energon Omega Supremes went on clearance, I almost got a speeding ticket rushing across the city before these gems were taken up. Luckily the guy in front of me got busted instead. I'm sure my wife would have been impressed with me if I had gotten a ticket just to pick up a $20 toy.

That's about the worst of it... but the day is still young.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Dumbest thing I ever did? Braving protest marches and strikes to get to TRU to look for a reissue Hot Rod. Arranging to "step out" to pick up a half price Marvel Legends box set (that never, ever even came close to selling out. D'oh!)
    That, and frequently paying over the odds for stuff on Ebay.

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    LOL! I did the same when Supreme SS got released! :p  Now it's a shelfwarmer.

8. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know if this was stupidity or impatience. I remember getting a pm from someone on the boards for a wind up Jazz on eBay. So, I instantly snag it up. Come to find out it was actually a rolling stamp. It wasn't in the best of condition, so when another one came up, this one in better condition with stamp I snagged it up. Then, I found ANOTHER one on eBay that appeared near complete, definitely had to snag it up. THEN when I ordered a lot of misc. junk from BBTS there was yet ANOTHER Jazz rolling stamp. I now have four Jazz rolling stamps in all stages of condition. What am I going to do with FOUR rolling stamps. :lol 

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    use the one that is in the worst condition, of course :p  you still have three in better shape that'll keep their value haha

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I sold my soul...

11. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd say the 6 hours of hunting about once a month to find thew newest stuff I want...
    Oh well, get's me out and exploring town.

12. dkrolickm

dkrolickm Beast Wars Predacon

Ebay:
    I killed a man....

13. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    put off bills to buy a new toy :/

sold my 27" TV for 100 bucks to buy a MIB metroplex, and MIB skylynx for 50 each, but I think that was worth it :p 

14. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

There have been days that I bought a TF instead of buying lunch.

15. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not even worth the paper the contract is written on.
    But still.... it's mine :p 

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Had I known that my soul was only worth a Wheelie, I would've never signed...

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    The dumbest thing I do sometimes when buying TF's is letting impatience get the best of me. When it does 95% of the time I end up paying more then I have to in get a toy a little quicker.

18. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    A while ago when a new Walmart was opening it opened the same time work started. I went to the Walmart, waited outside the doors, got a bunch of new Alternators that were impossible to find at the time along with some other stuff, and showed up to work about 45 minutes late.

No big deal, we have a lax policy and most people usually don't show up until 20-30 minutes after opening anyway so I was only a little later than normal.

I don't know, I haven't really done anything majorly dumb for toys.

19. Blackstar

Blackstar TFW2005 Supporter

When Armada was first sighted I drove 2 hours in one direction only to not find them at the place I looked. The next morning, I called a KB Toys 2 hours in the other direction, found out they had them, made them put the three minicon sets and 3 deluxes on hold, and drove up to get them. All with my new bride of just 2 months in tow. Needless to say, she was not thrilled, and because of my indulgence, I was forced to watch The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood in a nearby theater.

20. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    :lol  My wife has been incredibly good about collecting. Once I made her drive with me all over Edmonton, looking at all the toy stores and comic stores for something. It was the middle of summer, no A/C and she was 8 months pregnant. I don’t even think I found anything that day...