What is the Dinobots Appeal?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ceasar121, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

The appeal of the Dinobots is that they're dinosaurs. If they're in the Movie as something else, they pretty much suck. How does a Ford Mustang offer the same combat potential as a T-Rex? "Look out, Grimlock's coming round the corner really fast! Oh, wait. I transform into a jet who's idling speed is faster than that."

2. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

They never appealed to me at all.

3. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    Dinosaurs are cool.

Robots are cool.

Transforming robots are even cooler.

Therefore, robots that transform into dinosaurs are EFFING AWESOME.

4. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

"Originally Posted by Beastbot X
    Quite frankly, if [Blackarachnia] does get a new figure, I doubt it'll be COMPLETELY show-accurate. Since, y'know, selling a toy robot with huge breasts may not exactly be the best move."

Matell's been doing it with Barbie since the '50s.

5. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I feel you, but by that logic the Dinobots suck at any rate... Dinsoaur comes around corner.... Planes drop bombs and make several passes with additional weapons... Dino problem solved.

Why does grimlock have to be a BIG bruiser? i always thought it was his tenacity and ferciousness, not his size that made him a fierce fighter. Remember how much ass Brawn kicked?

Not to mention how impractical filming it would be. At least you can have real cars as stand in's for the bot alt modes, with All CGI dinotbots (which is what they'd have to be) The'screen appearance would be short lived.

6. odelay

odelay Downunder-bot

I don't know what it is exactly but we have always had some fascination with Dinosaurs.
    They're big, tough and we never got to see them.
    I was at a friends house the other day who have a 3 and 5 year old and their favourite toys were their dinosaur toys, the five year old even knew their names.
    Then as a previous post pointed out, you combine them with robots which are also full of win, and you have an awsome product.

Dinosaurs and robots are like the opposite of Vegetables and early nights

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Jets can attack, but they can't hold ground. You need big, heavy ground units for that. That's the Dinobots. And I don't care about how impractical filming it would be. It's a film about Transformers. I want to see the Transformers, not a bunch of cars driving round. That'll be fine if we get a Knight Rider movie.

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The dinobots are just plain awesome, they are big and strong and smash stuff. What I want to know is what is the appeal to Soundwave?

9. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    He was cold, calculating, had a decent looks, and was a land version of an aircraft carrier since he had so many guys popping out of his chest. He really was Megatron's most competent minion. In the comic, he actually made a pretty decent leader as well. In the cartoon, he had a pretty good voice with an irregular speech pattern.

What I want to know is what's the appeal with Starscream? Why do people like this whiny, backstabbing bastard?

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Dinosaurs were cool and Transformers were cool so you mix the two together and you get super cool.

Didn't really hurt either that back in the old days they were such a brute force for the Autobots that they could go toe to toe with someone like Devistator and likely come out as the winners of the brawl. Sort of like Godzilla, they were just a force of nature.

As I got older I started to like the fact that they don't play by the Autobot handbook and they are so confident of themselves they don't need a reason to hide. As someone else has already said the breserker side of their nature is also just really really really cool.

Sort of regret they aren't making the film because in a way it doesn't feel like Autobots are really in a bad spot if it's something they can get out of without the Dinobots. Sort of the Autobots in a fix but the pooh hasn't really hit the fan until the Dinobots are the only ones who can pull your bacon out of the fire.

But heck I've got zero control over the movie so it's all just what might have been.

11. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    Well, they didn't feel the need to explain the exsistance of Scorponok.

12. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Simple. Starscream is Transformers Vegeta. Eternally second, mostly due to "PLOT CONCERNS" (ie the Good Guys gotta win"). Not to mention the ill out voice, and his total lack of respect for Megatron. Screamer gets less credit from the cartoon than he deserves, he was regularly put in charge of operations which only went awry because "GOOD GUYS WIN" logic dictated so. And I'm not even gonna discuss the comic :lol 

Didn't need to. He said nothing, he was just an attack dog, so no explanation was needed. But Grimlock and co would be talking and doing more than just fighting, so people would need an explanation (general movie goers that is).

Dinos are cool, but I honestly don't believe we're gonna see the "real" Dinobots in the live action verse, unless the cost of producing those CGI characters goes WAAAAAAYYYYY down. The cost of producing two full CGI's for each dinobot (one bot and one dino) would be staggering.

13. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I always liked the Dinobots because they were badasses who didn't really answer to the rest of the Autobots especially in Season 1 and 2 of G1. I hated it whenever they made them idiots (like in Seasons 3 and 4) or pansies (like in Animated). IDW does a great job in the comics of portraying the Dinobots. I really liked Grimlock in War Within which was great stuff. Something about their personalities always appealed to me because you never knew if they were going to fight the Decepticons or turn on the Autobots themselves.

PS Brawn is definitely a badass too. He was cool.

14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know I just like Grimlock's head design and their dumb-assery.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Yeah, I'm caught in the middle. I always preferred their tough, insubordinate bad-ass portrayal (as often seen in the comics), but over the years, I've come to love the adorable, cartoonish imbecilic dinobots.

It still kills me every time I see Sludge get clobbered by Devastator in the movie, and his eyes do a stretchy-squishy right off his head, Loony Toons style. :) 

In the fiction, I prefer the badass dinos... in cartoon form, the dopey dinos definitely have a place in my heart.

zmog

16. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    There DINObots whats the point in having them if they can't be what they are? I rather they are away from the movie-verse then them get f**ked up by bay.

17. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Well first I will admit it was me who objected to the muscle car idea. Not that idea was bad at all I thought it was very good , my only issue is the more we stray from the original concepts they only are the characters in name. Also I would say the major appeals of dinbots are three things.

1 . Dinomode of course as transforming dinosaur is just quite honestly awesome

2. The personality of grimlok mainly as the rest just mimmic him. The simple minded child like thing :) 

3. They kick a lot of but mostly in their alt mode

If you take out the dinomode you can rest assured the simpleto. Personalities most likely get revamped and we stray further away . Last point is being a car the will not be bigger than optimus hence they probably wouldn't be the decepticon but kickers we want then to be.

I think they have to atleast have the dino mode at the beginning atleast before maybe rescanning the mode goes along way for defining the characters at least initially.

I don't mind the idea of them being a smaller badass autobot but I just don't think we would see it