What is the Dinobots Appeal?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ceasar121, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    The question of this thread is exactly that.

I made a suggestion somewhere that if the Dinobots hit the movie-verse, they should be portrayed as old school muscle cars (the Dynobots) and they could retain the power, aggressiveness and noise factor out of those modes. Several people whined that if they weren't the Dinos, they might as well not be there. Which raises the question, to me, what is their appeal? Is it their ability to kick ass? Or is it their personality and antics? Or is it the fact that they're actually robot dinosaurs?

I'd like to see at least Grimlock and Slag in the movie verse, but I honestly think that it causes too many problems to have them in the dino modes IN THE MOVIE-VERSE. Too much explanation and time tec, of why they, alone, can scan organic life forms. So would you be willing to see the dino modes go to see their other aspects, if it was done right?

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

So Transformers are awesome 'cause they're two things boys like: robots and cars.

How do you improve on that? Make them robots and dinosaurs, 'cause to 8-11 year old males, almost nothing is better than goddam dinosaurs.

The ass-kicking is a bonus.

3. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

Yeah, that's basically it. Also for me, as a kid i always had my decepticons just decimate the autobots when i brought my transformers to my cousin's house. i mean, 6 fighter jets against assorted lamborghinis and porches...come on.

The decepticons had fighter planes, cassettes, cassette player, reflector, and obviously megatron. as a kid i looked at them and knew they should be murdering the autobots every episode.

so when the dinobots came out...here were the first non-automobile autobots. and they were specifically designed to make up for all the traditional autobot weaknesses (aside from prime himself), meaning lack of brute strength, firepower, intimidation, size, shock force, etc. etc. etc.

basically, as a kid the dinobots represented to me exactly what the autobots so desperately needed.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yeah, robots that transform from dino to robot and back= massive win.

And Dinobots that aren't dinosaurs quite frankly suck in my book.

5. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My two favorite things when I was a child were Transformers and Dinosaurs. So, when they put them together and made transforming robot dinosaurs, I couldn't get enough of them. Grimlock's always been my favorite mainly because the T-rex is my favorite dino and his personality is just pure win.

As far as the movie-verse is concerned, I like the old muscle car idea. The word dinosaur has been used to describe something that is old and outdated, such as a used car. So, those old-style muscle cars could fit the mold well.

Although, with that said, I'd still rather see them as actual robot dinos.

6. zgraham

zgraham Well-Known Member

I always loved the Dinobots because they really gave the Decepticons a good fight. I also loved dinosaurs, so that was really a big plus with me. That being said, I really like the Dynobots idea. I think that would be awesome. We have already had Grimlock as a track hoe and a Mustang. I would love to see him as a really nasty muscle cars. Maybe something with a Hemi, such as a Dodge Charger. Or a bad ass Yenko Chevelle. Soemthing with a big block, but not a pony car, such as a Mustang or Camaro.

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It's hard to describe, but something about a robot turning into a dinosaur is really appealing to me for some reason. It probably has something to do with me having a large number of dinosaur stuff as a child. As for others, can't really say, though dinosaurs seems to almost always be a big thing with the majority of boys. Especially when I was growing up. Seems to have gone down a bit since then though.

8. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This preety much sums it up...

9. bhaalistik

bhaalistik Shockwave's Love-child

That sums it all up right there :D 

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, Squirrelcar nailed it.

As for why I like them. I have no idea.

11. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I like them because they are a bunch of berserkers that fight for the good guys. I love grey characters.

12. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I'll agree with the "from 8-11, robots and dinosaurs" rocked. Problem for me though was as I got older, they lost their appeal with me except for the rarity of the figures themselves and how Grimlock was portrayed in the G1 comics as this enormous tough guy struggling with Autobot values that he doesn't necessarily hold. IDW isn't doing a bad job with them either.

Nowadays, it's more of a take it or leave it situation. I don't really care for them in Animated (honestly, they get on my nerves now since they started talking) and I wouldn't mind if robotic dinosaurs never showed up in the movies. I'd love to see them as old muscle cars, monster trucks, or whatever (not dinos) with the attitude like BT/Alt Grimlock.

Biggest problem I have with the whole concept now of robotic dinosaurs is in a world of cars, planes, and military vehicles how does turning into a dinosaur help you at all unless you have nasty surprises like the IDW Dinobots? You would stand out like a sore thumb unless you like spending all of your time in a dinosaur theme park or hiding in really obscure places. They would be constantly hunted by humans and really, why would they need to be dinosaurs today when there are so many other things to turn into that blend in? Even if you used the better G1/IDW comics origin, it's still rather stupid of them to stay as dinosaurs in the modern age when even Grimmy (in IDW) noticed he stuck out like a sore thumb.

13. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Robots? Cool. Dinosaurs? Cool. Robot dinosaurs? Awesomely cool! Add to that their portrayal in the first season and a half of the G1 cartoon (before they and Grimlock especially were reduced to nothing more than comedy relief) and you have solid characters that overcome their brick-ish toy limitations. Two great imaginary tastes that taste great together!

Just like with anything else, you either get it or you don't.

14. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Dinosaurs + Robots= awesome. Their brute strength,yet compassionate hearts

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

1. So... darn... CUTE!!!

2. A Dirty Dozen (quintet?) of insubordinate bastards for the Autobots. 5 brazen, brawling, brutish bots who don't fit the Autobot mold, so they end up getting their own unit for "special" circumstances. If they weren't on the front lines with Grimlock, they'd probably be stuck in the brig... or with the Decepticons!

3. In the case of Grimlock, it's good for the Autobots to have an ambitious thug challenging Prime's leadership (in the dramatic sense). For this reason, Grimlock is the only Dinobot that I think is worth keeping around as a non-dinosaur. His character is relevant and interesting enough in the overall dynamic that he's worth integrating even if it means giving up his T-rex mode.

4. Did I mention CUTE?!

:) 

zmog

16. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

What you talkin' 'bout Wheelie?

17. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    there just cool what more can you say

18. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    With my slight edit to your original comments - THIS.

And the fact that A) they're a sub-group (I always liked the sub-groups), B) they're HUGE, and C) the uniform color scheme of all grey, gold & red to help visually set them apart... something most other sub-groups other than The Constructicons never had... which was a shame.

I still have a soft spot for the Dinobots, but I never want to see them in the Bayformers universe.

19. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

I like dinosaurs... so does my 2 year old... :D 

20. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I completely agree. I don't care if Grimlock's a T-Rex in the movies or not (a few nods would be nice though), I just want him there because he is an Autobot anti-hero: Optimus' Starscream.

But I do love dinosaurs too.