What is the difference between the RID Megatron and Galvatron molds?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unicronsupreme, Mar 16, 2008.

1. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I just bought an RID galvatron on ebay for a good deal and I'm loving it. This got me to wondering what was different about RID Megatron that he was not able to transform into the additional 4 modes. I looked at some pictures online at Teletraan-1 but I couldn't figure it out. Could someone cast some light on this for me?

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I could be wrong, but I believe that both RID Megatron and Galvatron are identical (aside from colour) and are the same mold as CR Galvatron / Devil Gigatron. The CR Megatron / Gigatron however has some slight differences (something on the waist?).

3. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    On CR Gigatron, it doesn't have the slots on the wings for the tail to connect to them to form the trunk of the elephant mode. The addition of those slots is the only remolding that was done to turn Gigatron into Devil Gigatron.

When Hasbro released Megatron, they used the Devil Gigatron mold. And then just repainted that for Galvatron. They also remolded the missiles to have less sharp points.

4. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    ah, so I could have got the more evil looking Megatron and it still would have been able to transform into every mode?

5. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Yup. It doesn't come with the instructions on how to TF it to those modes, though. But that's easy enough to look up online.

6. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow I didn't know that. I do prefer Devil Gigatron colour scheme, though. Gotta pick him up one day.

7. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    HEre you are some pics about the difference between the blades/missiles:

The Car Robots Gigatron/Devil Gigatron got sharp and pointed blades:

[​IMG]

While, the RID versions got "Popsicle" blades :p 

[​IMG]

Also, the Car Robots vertion has got "hard" launchers. RID vertion makes easy to push those blades ont eh ├▒aunchers, but as you should imagine they don't go very far.

Another important difference is about the painting details on RID Galvatron. It seems that they didn't put much effort on the figure since it has some details unpainted. The most notorious are the little dragon faces molded on its front red clear feet (of dragon mode).

The Japanese Devil Gigatron has all the lines painted in gold while RID Galvatron has no one single paint application.

8. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    that's interesting because the galvatron version I have has gold lines on the red feet. I didn't notice that they were dragons until you pointed it out though. The only parts I don't really like the paint on are the face and the gargoyle mouth. They're both rather bland and the robot face has no expression whatsoever, which is bad for a Megatron/Galvatron figure.

9. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Galvatron has 2 extra "pegs" or something molded on to accomodate at least one of the extra modes.

10. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    Those are not pegs, they are more like slots as Chaos Convoy wrote before.

Anyway, you can place that part to make the head of the "elephant" mode with Car Robot Gigatron with a bit of effort.