What is the "Clear Nail Polish Trick"?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CompuGlobal HyperMegatron, Jun 16, 2006.

1. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

See title!

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a way to tighten loose joints. Primarily used for balljoints, but is applicable to any other joint that can be disassembled.

Basically, get yourself a bottle of clear nailpolish, and coat the offending loose joint in a thin layer of polish, let it dry, and then reassemble the joint. That extra layer of material will provide more friction, and prevent the joint from being all floppy.

You need to make sure that the nailpolish you use is of the extra-hard variety, or else it just winds up rubbing off really quickly.

Personally, I prefer to use superglue. Same basic process, but instead of just letting the part dry, you should quickly reassemble the parts, and constantly move them around until the glue sets. I find the glue to be more durable than polish, but it's a bit trickier to work with.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    No, it's not trickier. You're just not doing it correctly. The key to superglue is to just pop the ball back into the socket, work it around, then pop it back out and let it dry. Just woking it til it dries is way too risky. I've read many a horror story of people accidentally gluing a part together.

4. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

So, basically, unless you know what you're doing use nail polish? :) 

5. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    If you use the superglue trick, it helps with some plastics to do a bit of surface preparation. Typically, when gluing things together, or doing a ball socket repair I use a high (smooth) 1000 to 1200 grit sandpaper to lightly sand the area down. Then, to clean off any dust, I wash the areas with a q-tip or two washed in isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). The sanding creates a better surface for the super glue, or heavy duty nail polish, to bind too.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Dab some on some loose beasties or GI Joes joints/balljoints to make them stiff like new.

Superglue works great, but use at your own risk.

It really revives figures that are way to loose to play with if you have any

7. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

Well now that I know what it is I plan to try and do a repair to my Armada Unicron's wings. They're ultra loose, to the point where I have to use his shoulders to prop them up.

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most of the time I use superglue and the only victim that suffered was my ML Silver Surfer...fortunately, it was my spare! My first attempt in tightening joints and I botched it! Oh well, a lesson learnt...

9. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I've had no problems with the nail polish method (thanks to my wifes stash). Fixed ol' Alt Op's loose seat perfectly. I've never tried to superglue method... and don't know if I'm brave enough to.