What is the circle of light and what happened to them?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Convoy, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Convoy

Convoy Now in G2 colours TFW2005 Supporter

I don't really get what the circle of light are. On tfwiki it says they could be seen as a cult but I don't get what their beliefs are. I've probably just missed something but I'd be grateful if someone could explain.

Is there a reason why they're all so shoulder heavy in robot mode? Do they all have similar alt modes to drift?

From a real world perspective they look like they're heavily inspired by Japanese super robo mechs. Are there any characters from other series in particular who they're meant to look like?

Also are they still a thing? Is there a team on luna 1 maybe? In fact who is left??
    [​IMG]

Apologies if this is just a basic question. My comic reading is very sporadic so there are large gaps.

2. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Basically they're big believers in the Knights of Cybertron (Their leader, Dai Atlas, has a name that means 'God Map'). They shut themselves off from the world in their own hidden city in the Crystal City Titan, training to fight and such but largely staying isolated (this is why Optimus considered them something of a religious cult- not a malicious one per se but they cut themselves off while going on) and developed their own body stylings, which they applied to Drift.

Tyrest and his Legislators attacked then en mass (with help from Star Saber), killed a bunch in the process, and use the captured rest on Luna 1 for his death-switch test (to see if he could get it to kill only Cold Constructed among them). When the crew arrived they help fight free, but Dai Atlas died to Star Saber in the process.

After that, they split up. Some watched over the defeated Tyrest on Luna 1, til he mysteriously vanish, at which point they presumably left (with one exception, Outrigger, who stuck with Fortress Maximus on Luna 1 and spent time cataloging the dead titans there. He left for Cybertron after the events of Titans Return). Some went on the Lost Light, but those ones rapidly had a problem with Rodimus's sloppy command style (they're a fairly disciplined bunch after all) and left, some wanting to join Thunderclash's ship.

I image right now they're fairly scattered, with some on Thunderclash's old ship, some doing various other things, and a fair number on Cybertron.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Convoy

Thanks, that's pretty succinct. So they don't have some big Primus religion star saber style? Why did the legislators attack them?

4. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

They are big believers in Primus and a number of related things (the Knights of Cybertron were Cybertronians very close to Primus in their eyes), it's just where Star Saber is militant and evil, they're good and contemplative. The equivalent of monks in a mountain who practice martial arts while contemplating religion.

Basically? Tyrest wanted a population that had a mix of Forged and Cold Constructed bots big enough to serve as a sample of the cybertronian race for his tests. They were a known (Lockdown, who works for Tyrest, ran into them in the first Drift miniseries) diverse enough, sizeable enough population that he could grab. Nothing to do with their beliefs or anything- they were a representative sample.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Well you just beat me to pretty much everything I just typed.

I can still say this though; Dai Atlas was an Autobot leader from the cancelled 4th Japanese G1 series, TF: Zone, and Star Saber was the leader in the 3rd JP G1 series, TF: Victory. The rest I think are generics, though at least a few of them are probably references to other non-TF series.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Convoy

Thanks for that. I guess that's all to them them. Would be cool if some more popped up now and again in lost light. Am I correct in assuming drift isn't really a circle of light dude? Like he was with them for just a couple of days, learnt all their secret techniques and then,after one battle with them, went off to have adventures?

Thanks for that, I thought as much. They do look pretty different (no clue how they transform though)

7. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

The Circle of Light was kind of the big hole in Remain In Light, wasn't it? I felt like I had missed an issue. All this stuff referenced in flashback--Star Saber's character development, SS's betrayal of the Circle & allegiance to a crazy Tyrest, the deaths of half the Circle via Tyrest's killswitch--all in flashback!

RiL is one of the best TF comic stories I've ever read, but it felt crammed into five issues, given that it was wrapping up a half-dozen character stories from Season 1 of MTMTE while sideways-resolving leftover questions from the Drift series.

I would love to get a one-off LL or MTMTE issue about Star Saber. Or a Spotlight. Now that TAAO is canceled, can we get Spotlight back?

• Like Like x 3
  8. Convoy

Couldn't agree with you more. I'd love to know a bit more about those cats and ss fleshed out a bit more. I love the way the way Ss is portrayed in idw, I really hope he comes back

• Like Like x 1
  9. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    Wait, didn't Tyrest use their bodies to make most of the Legislators? There are probably not many left.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    This, came to add the same remark.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gregles

gregles quintesson

It wasn't just using their bodies to make the legislators as it has since been revealed during the issue of mtmte focusing on twelve hinting that he had some perception of his past life so their minds where also altered into becoming legislators.

It seemed like a nightmarish kind of lobotomy that inflicted something similar to a debilitating form of extreme autism on them where emotion was repressed in favour of obediently enforcing rules with no ambiguity.

The whole thing seems a lot crueler than just using the body as raw materials to me.

The cruel fate of many of the circle of light seems sad and unfair as they where a well meaning bunch just trying to preserve culture and minimise their damage on others even if they didn't do a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Convoy

So who is still alive from the circle of light? Just that ironhide look alike, outrigger? I jest, but he really doesn't have the circle of light look going on. Maybe he didn't get to enjoy the sweet body upgrade treatment drift got

13. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

He was there for awhile, enough to learn their fighting style and philosophies, weeks/months. I'd consider him a member, if not the most experienced one. Or maybe a temporary member, I'm not sure if he considers himself one but he did buy in to their beliefs.

Axe should still be alive.

And, well, we don't exactly have a lot of named members period, living or dead.

A lot of them, yes, 90%, but there was still a fairly sizable bunch when they freed them. They were supposed to have around a thousand members originally, and I think they're at a tenth that now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

How many Japanese exclusive characters are left to weave into IDW continuity? :D 

• Like Like x 1
  15. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Oh yea, and Star Saber is a former CoL member but I didn't include him for obvious reasons ^^

A pretty good amount! Victory Leo would be a great addition, a Beastformer Circle of Light member stepping up as new leader would be awesome. Greatshot (an Autobot Sixchanger who's already a wandering warrior), Galaxy Shuttle, the Brainmasters and Multiforce, Clouder and the other Godmasters (They have counterparts with different names, so maybe not, but no-one is going to mistake Clouder for Doubledealer. Lightfoot and Getaway could be awkward though...), maybe Sixknight (semi-allied sixchanger).

Arguably Ginrei? Or at least Godbomber, his least-Optimus-looking component.

• Like Like x 1
  16. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i always wanted to see the circle explored more, i wish when drift first met them we could have seen him experiencing their society more, not just chilling with wing

• Like Like x 1