What is the big deal with Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by chazparks, Jan 13, 2007.

1. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

I like the character and understand his importance in TF lore but it seems like just one toy is enough. The robot modes don't look that different from each other and he always transforms into a truck (semi, fire, etc.). Yet people can't seem to have enough primes.

Megatron is just as important to the Decipticons and his toys all have different modes, yet he isn't as highly collected.

2. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd love to see Prime turn into something other than a red truck for once. A space shuttle or spaceship or something might be kinda neat.

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well than he wouldn't be Optimus Prime than he would be Star Saber. :lol 

4. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    That's the best thing about the Beast Wars series, we get a leader as a monkey, a lion, and a mammoth.

5. Rampage01

Rampage01 knockoff of a knockoff

I never really got it, either. The only Prime figure I ever got was the Armada deluxe figure, and with all the Primes looking pretty much the same, have felt no need to get any others. I might get the Magnus repaint of Classics Prime, though. I think the mold looks better in those colors.
    'Course, I got into TFs during BW, so my views of the other series are going to be a bit different than someone who got into this in G1.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Prime isnt always a truck. he was a car once, and another time he was a robot that drove a truck.

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

*looks at Laser Optimus Prime*
    *looks at RiD Omega Prime*
    *looks at Armada Optimus Prime with Jetfire & Overload*
    *looks at Energon Optimus Prime in super mode*
    *looks at Cybertron Optimus Prime in super mode*

I'm sorry, that's kind of funny :lol 

8. chazparks

So these are as different as a Tank, Futuristic sports car, cannon (Galvatron), gun, futuristic airplane.

9. butz

butz slippery when wet

I know, but I want to see a new Star Saber. A Star Saber like Optimus Prime would be the next best thing. :p 

10. flamepanther

Considering that we are comparing robot modes, that's never going to happen. Not between robot modes of any two TransFormers. As for any two robot modes that try to be different versions of one character, some of those are as far apart as it's going to get.

I'm not contesting your point about the alt modes, just the robots.

11. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I have to agree to a large extent, I mean I love Prime, but I as well would like to see Hasbro mix him up a bit more from his traditional transport trailer. One good point MagiRanger made was with Beast Wars, I liked how we saw him in several different modes ranging from a giant ape to a Lion and so forth. One direction I would really like to see is what the Japanese did with Star Saber. I know it wont happen, and I understand the reasons why as Prime is just so iconic and recognizable to the whole TF franchise, but I still think it would be an interesting experiment. At the very least I think they should mix up Prime a bit. I think one of the best things was making Prime a fire truck in RiD. Wile I dont particularly like the toy, I still think that was a good way of shaking things up a bit, as it stayed in the same vain as previous Primes but made him different. That and a fire truck to me represents the more "hero" aspect of the character.

12. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    It's mostly for the kids. Something for the younger purchaser to recognize. Since Hasbro / Takara / Tomy / whatever wants to make money they will try to satisfy the younger group also. Look at Batman, just how many Batman figures do you need. You are always looking for the bad guys because they are short packed. Because kids want Batman not Manbat, Killer Croc or whatever.
    I personally like the fact that even though the series change some things remain the same. Kinda makes it flow (a little)

13. chazparks

Cybertron Megatron compared to Classic Megatron robot or alt mode is more different than G1 Optimus vs Optimus with add on submarine limbs or folded in half and setting on top of another character.

14. flamepanther

Apart from the colors, super mode Armada Optimus Prime could not be much farther from the G1 toy. Even the regular robot mode bears little resemblance to the original besides the colors and the head sculpt. Get Cybertron Galvatron instead of the original colors, and suddenly he seems to look a lot like G1 Megatron (which was also the entire point of Classics Megatron). It's all about perception. The colors will fool you.

15. Golobulus

Golobulus heh heh heh

To be honest, I've had enough of Optimus entirely for a while.

Next series that is made, make Magnus the leader, Optimus does not even exist in this universe, or if he does, make him dead...and NOT COMING BACK. Or better yet, make an homage to Star Saber and Victory Leo, make them leaders. Or Dai Atlas...King Atlas.. By the same token, make the head villain Overlord, Megazarak, or Deathsaurus. I've had quite enough of the Megatron,recolored into Galvatron schtick for a while.

Yeah, you bring them both back eventually, because Optimus/Convoy and Megatron are signature of the franchise, but it doesn't hurt to deviate from the norm sometimes

16. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, at least its not like Star Wars, where Vader is in every damn wave and all that changes is the pose, the cape or the accessories.

17. megamus

News Credits:
    It would be nice to see some other characters. How about another group of Autobots. Prime could have his group on another mission. This would be something that runs along the same timeline but in a different area. After all, Prime cannot be everywhere at once.

18. Golobulus

Golobulus heh heh heh

Meh, Star Wars should have been left behind in the 80's where it belonged

19. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    the thing about Prime is that, even if we get tired of him, there's still going to be a new one in ever series, because as far as Hasbro is concerned, he's the only Autobot leader and he's what keeps the series connected.

As for why fans keep buying all the new ones, well, I for one thing it looks impressive to see a collection full of red, window-chested robots that are all slightly different. Not to mention they usually strive to make him the best figure in any given line

20. megamus

News Credits:

Talk about :horse: 
    Hasbro enough with the Star Wars Vaders and Lukes