What is the best way to shine/condition chrome on toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mrclean08, Dec 13, 2008.

1. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

I cleaned up some junk in the attic and found a vintage G1 Megatron I had when I was a kid. It's in pretty good condition, only that the chrome is really dirty & dusty.

What is the best way to shine/condition the chrome on these vintage toys? I'm concerned about alcohol rubbing the luster off. I've heard stories that small amounts of GooGone actually work, but I have not confirmed this. I'm going to test some other toys out and see if Windex can do the job.

Would appreciate anyone's recommendation as I want to restore this Megatron.

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I think it was goo gone that wiped away the gold chrome on my g1 grimlock when I tried to remove some sticker residue. I'd just say a soft cloth and some rubbing would be the best way to try it without harming stickers, paint, or removing chrome.

3. TM2 D-bot

TM2 D-bot Forsight Into the Future Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If it's chromed plastic I suggest Plastic-X from Meguiars. If it's on metal you can use Mother's Metal Polish.

4. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

I tested it with Windex. It works and does not at all smear or rub any of the chrome off.

I tested Goo Gone on another figure's chrome. The Goo Gone actually did rub off some of the chrome, so stay clear of that solution. Go with Windex if you want to clean your chrome to a brand new shine.