What is the best way to keep your displayed collection clean

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by sketchprowl, Nov 2, 2008.

1. sketchprowl

sketchprowl freak of nature

I've just been using a dry soft bristled paint brush to dust the ones that I have. But I recently recieved a G1 metroplex that was in a disgusting state the paint brush just doesn't cut it, I obviously don't want to damage the stickers and such. does anyone have any tips?

2. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Maybe use an air duster can, like the ones used for keyboards. Also try posting this in the Toy Discussion area, not the Items for Sale or Trade

3. sketchprowl

good point, thanks I'll try that

4. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, canned air is good, but can be tedious. And it's just knocking the dust around, doesn't actually clean the area. Best thing, honestly, is cases with doors. Not very cost effective.

The next best thing though - playing with them :D . Just fiddling with them helps a good bit for keeping it clean.

5. sketchprowl

I love that idea, my other half thinks i'm weird anyway so that would just about confirm it for him.:) 

6. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Stop posting in here. Go post in the Toy Disscussion section. Real Estate space is very limited in this forum. Don't respond to this message either.

Trust me you'll get waaay more responses in the Toy Section!!!

7. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It may surprise you, but...

I've always found that a blush brush works best.

You can really put pressure on the plastic, (w/o enough pressure to ruin a pose) and dig out all the dust, w/o risking killing the shiny wax coating.

This also works great on the old Beetlejuice fig I repainted w/ standard acrylics (still need to post pics of him...), as there's not enough stress to damage the fragile paint under the bristles...

I'd also recommend swiping a used one, (but clean it FIRST) the residual oil on the brush will provide a light refinishing touch to the figure (and I've used it on everything from my 8.5in Pumpkinhead, all TFs & even plastic McD collectibles...

Also, if you have plush toys (no one's judging...) you can use a brand new one, w/o risk of tainting the cloth w/ oil, and you'll be able to dig all the dust out of all the fibers, as WELL AS polish the glass/acrylic eyes...

8. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Vaccum the room they're in and change your air filters regularly.

That's the best method for dust control.

Everything else is maintenance.

9. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

I use the swiffer for dusting

10. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

What does maintenance entail? I try to dust off some figures i haven't touched for awhile, but there's lots of little corners I have trouble with.

11. sketchprowl

I had thought about that (not the swiping part, I don't need to :) ) but I found that a new soft bristle pain brush (that you paint rooms with) is the best to get any dust that has settled into the cracks and joints (watch out for cheap brushes they can leave bristles behind)