What is the best way to keep a consistantly growing collection on a small budget

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by noob_collection, Apr 27, 2009.

1. noob_collection

noob_collection noob at collecting

Ok...So I only have like, 7 TF's...

Consisting of the three classics seekers(skywarp with a missing missle), A cheetor with guns missing, some movie toys and one or two others...

I'm 15, and with a $20 every two weeks budget from chores, what is the best way to keep a collection healthy and growing..

I obviously don't have the money for the G1's I want...So i'm thinking of hunting for deluxe's alot

2. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

This is probably better suited for the toy forum but:

1. Basics and Deluxes are good sizes to stick too for a budget, also if you don't mind simpler transformations Legends and Activators can be very fun to play with.

2. Pick a focus for you collection. It can be as simple as "I just like these particular toys cause they're cool." But are you drawn to a particular line, a particular character, or would you be happier with a sampling of several different lines.

3. Take advantage of the review forum before you buy. There are tons of reviews there that can help you decide sometimes before a toy even shows up in your area if it is worth getting or not.

4. Don't get overwhelmed by the fact that others have bigger, different, collections than yours. Collect what you like, when you want, when you can. Remember collecting toys is supposed to be fun. What matters is what you like.

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If cost savings is the key, and it doesn't matter to you WHEN you actually have the figure in your hands, wait until you find buy-one-get-one offers, coupons, or clearance sales for the (readily available) mainline stuff.

The only thing I'd suggest jumping on right away is limited release items like retailer or overseas exclusives. They can dry up pretty quickly, and cost you big time to grab them later.

4. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Very rarely do I ever exceed $20 on ebay and I have scored lots of great deals on G1 stuff. It does take some time and patience though so good luck!

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Deluxes are where the cost to fun ratio is rather high. If you're looking for past toys keep an eye out on forums buy/sale/trade forums.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    1. Decide on what you want to collect. Maybe you like Seekers, Beasts, Autobots, Decepticons, repaints, or only show releases...So many people have such wierd collecting habits, find out yours and stick to it.

2. Look for sales and look for used Toys. Depending on your area, thrift stores and dirt Malls (Flea Markets) can be gold mines for loose toys.

3. Hit up the fourm buy and sell threads. Post what you are loiking for, and how much you want to pay.

4. HAVE FUN and do freak if you don't get something right away. Many people have re-built their collection over time.

7. noob_collection

noob_collection noob at collecting

Thanks for all the tips

8. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

Flea markets and yard sales, ma boy. Let the summer season begin. LET IT BEGIN!! This is especially gratifying if you live in the suburbs, since you don't have many yard sales in big cities. Theres always some old lady clearing out her 28 year old son's old toy box, chock full of G1 goodness. Talk her down to a 25 cents a figure. You'll only feel bad for about a minute.