Customs: What is the best technique to use when applying metalic paints like testors aluminum?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by reluttr, Jun 22, 2009.

1. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As the title says, what is the best technique to use when applying metallic paint like testors acryl aluminum?

The reason why I ask is because I was working on my 1st custom paint, and I had good results with thinning the acryl base and applying it in layers. However when I came to the metallic silver details, it just didn't go as smoothly as I wanted. Thinning it didn't work so well because the silver flakes just didn't seem to apply evenly due to it rapidly seperating, and I have never really had any success with just applying it in a non thinned state because it gums up in small details in the molding basically hiding them.

I ended up dry brushing which did work nicely, but now I am going to attempt to do a metallic flake sunstorm repaint "using a extra thrust armada mold I have" but I'm wondering if anyone can give me tips for a better over all look.

For specifics:
    I'm really wanting to get something similar this the gold application to the wing in the How to make basic flames tutorial.

I would also like to know how to get a pearl like effect like altezen's Movie Megatron Custom. I really like the lighting effect it has, it really looks like metal :D 

Also if you dont mind I would like to know how to get a worn brushed metal kind of look. Kinda like the effect frenzy_rumble did to his ravage custom. I have a idea of what I could use this for later :p 

Also when trying to get a colored metal effect would I be better off to do a coat of acryl aluminum then apply a layer in a clear color like acryl clear red, or would I produce a better look by mixing acryl red in with the acryl aluminum?

Sorry for all the questions, its just I have always had terrible luck with metallics and after seeing all the awesome custom metallic paints apps on here. I figured that there is no one better to ask for advice then you guys :D 

2. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

airbrush works best but you can get great results brushing as well just have to practice i guess . sorry i dont know how to explain my technique to brush them on its all by feel for me.

3. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    I tend to get good results sometimes with brushing but air brushing is the way to go!

4. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Drybrush in layers. As usual, basecoat in a flat black. Then do some (semi-heavy) drybrushing with a dark matte grey. Now do some lighter (less heavy) drybrushing with a lighter grey, and so on, building up with progressively less drybrushing when you move to lighter shades of grey (up to you how many you want to use). It's important to do less drybrushing as you move up to lighter colors, focusing on raised parts. You end with some VERY LIGHT metallic silver drybrushing on the edges of panels only.

5. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

agreed drybrushing "metals" is the best route at least for me, the end results
    are usually a greatly realistic metal like appearance

6. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

I guess that's because by drybrushing, you get the brushed metal look, right? Or by using many layers, as stated by mampy, I can have the metal paint looks smooth?