Customs: What is the benefit of removing paint

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by chazparks, Dec 15, 2006.

1. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

With acrylic paint one can just paint over the existing paint.

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Existing paint shows through. Model-making acrylic paints, as a matter of fact, allow a lot of "bleed-through" if you only apply 2-3 coats of paint.

Now, you COULD, theoretically, COVER a prepainted part with acrylic paint and cover up the existing paint ENTIRELY, but you'd end up with an overpainted mess of a part. I wouldn't do it.

3. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

That would make sense. The only experience that I have with repainting is changing a G1 Magnus into a G1 Optimus. I didn't remove any paint. Of course, that is probably a simple repaint compared to what some are doing.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Your best bet for getting a good clean paint job, in terms of repainting any toy, is to remove the paint from the area you're going to repaint. I've tried repainting figures & toys without removing the source paint before and, inevitably, the source paint shows through eventually, whether it's as a result of the top coat aging or handling the toy.

5. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

You sometimes get a bad reaction between paints as well. Like when I use the vinyl dye/paint, it does not want anything underneath it besides bare plastic. You end up with paint not sticking and thus never drying. Gets annoying when handling your toy.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    QFT. That bubbling response you get when you try to run an acrylic brush over enamels is...rrrrgh. Lesson learned. :lol 

7. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Huh...well quite contrary to the other responses, I generally find painting over a prepainted part produces better results than bare plastic. I normally give just about anything I paint a light sanding from very fine sandpaper (800 or so), maybe that makes the difference?

Jarrod