What is TF: Heroes?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by VAwitch, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

Or, he could have this little thing called a differant opinion from you.

Both anime and western stylised animation have their perks and look good in their own ways. Both look ugly in their own ways too.

However, I don't think the stylised look would work for TF, and I'm sick to the teeth with crappy anime. So I'd rather have something between western animation and anime, like MEGAS XLR.

2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    You do realize all of the shows you said were crap were animated either in Japan or Korea, right?

And the Cartoon Network does not actually animate the shows themselves, because, like nearly all US 2D animation, those duties are handled overseas due to much lower production costs and available talent. Its just that development, writing, design, direction ect is done in the US.

3. Magelite

Eh, moving on...

I hope we see more than just G1 characters in Heroes. As nice as cherry-eyed nostalgia is(n't) I hope the writers take the time to introduce some fresh, interesting new blood to the cast.

4. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

I stand corrected. Well lets hope it is decent animation. You know G1 was better animation than most cartoon network shows.. but if they choose wisly then maybe it will be good. Need some good action writings and not those that have done younger kids shows like teen titans and puff girls thing etc..

Here is a novel idea... get the dreamwave people to draw the art... if they have not found another job already. Or even idw. Just a thought, I dunno animation drawing is a totally different process but I uess art is art?

(oh and get dave to do megs as he doesn't sound good as a good guy... even as prof x he sounded too much like megs. optimus should be chalk or someone else that sounds as good)

5. Magelite

Give Dave a chance as Optimus. We don't need Chalk vs. Kayne 6.

Hmm...if Welker hasn't been asked to do the movie yet, perhaps he could be Megs in heroes? :p  That would be awesome...

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

In the case of several CTN original shows (Samurai Jack in particular, and Tartakovsky's work in general), there is a deliberate decision to sacrifice drawing and design detail for fluidity of motion. Other shows (mostly Japanese) go the opposite route, having beautifully detailed artwork, but choppy or minimal animation or even the use of still frames. I find both extremes quite irritating and prefer a thoughtful balance. The recent TMNT series (up until Fast Forward) was a good example. The art was detailed enough to create a believable world, but simple enough to allow for easy animation. The animation was smooth enough to make for great action scenes with a good sense of how everything moves, but not to the point of being jaw-dropping. Unfortunately, there is rarely enough money in a TV animation budget to take motion or detail to high levels without sacrificing the other. The director has to make compromises, or reduce one aspect of the show to minimalism.

7. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    QFT! Well said.

Nothing but generalizations and conjecture. You have proved nothing. And please don't even attempt presume that you know what I think, or lump me into any sort of "you people" common opinion about animated programming. I have been an animation enthusiast and critic for probably longer than you have been alive, and I know quality productions when I see them.

I merely gave examples of highly successful Cartoon Network-produced series.

And even if my own opinions of the shows I listed weren't positive, these shows were successful on their own merits and didn't get cancelled within their first season. They were also embraced by most animation fans and critics, and both kids and adults alike. And unless I'm mistaken, they've all won awards (either Emmys and/or Annies) which also means that the Industry considered them to be high quality.

You're entitled to your opinion. But not backing it up with fact is just...well, foolish.

While TFW2005 News Staff has a good track record for accuracy, at the time that was posted and even since then not one item has yet to be confirmed by an official source. And CN didn't even HINT about anything related to Transformers at their recent "CN Upfront" in NYC, which was a full presentation of their upcoming 2007 programming. My guess is that Hasbro has CN contractually obligated to remain mum on the subject of the new TF series, but I still find it curious that this new series was not even mentioned by name during the entire event.

So until there's an official announcement and further confirmation of other details from official sources, it's all speculation and rumors to me.

But if CN is truly, actively involved in the production and not just the distributor (as they were with "Cybertron"), and the same production people are involved who worked on "Teen Titans", "X-Men Evolution", "Foster's", and "Legion of Super-Heroes" then it should at least be more entertaining to watch than any TF series that's aired in the US since "Beast Machines". That kind of epic scope and "superhero" influence on the show's design and production could very well what TFs need (outside of the film) to revitalize the franchise for TV audiences.

I don't even care much if diehard TF fans don't like it. Hell, I didn't like BW or BM when they first started, but they ended up winning me over later. But a successful TV show means freakin sweet new TF toys!

8. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not sure if it's neglect or purposeful. But add Kids Next Door: KND to that list. As it's another good CN show and it aired the movie Operation Z.E.R.O.

But I want more info on this show. Maybe there will be more info at BotCon '07 and lucky me I'm going to be there ;) 

9. Magelite

I think Tartakovsky's work is more a case of stylised artwork. There's plenty in his shows that could have been done more realistic with the same resources, he just choose that particular art direction.

10. flamepanther

I'm refering mostly to his action shows. He prefers to be as "cartoony" as possible anyway, but in the case of Samurai Jack and Clone Wars, he specifically wanted to streamline the designs and focus on choreography and fluid animation. He's said so in a couple of interviews. Those shows couldn't have been animated like that on the same budget in a super-detailed style. Something like Dexter's Laboratory probably could have, but a realistic style wouldn't make any sense for that show. Anyway, just because fluid animation isn't the only reason a particular style was chosen doesn't mean it's not an important factor. Fluidity and personal style preference were both important considerations.

11. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    What I think is amazing about Tartakovsky's take on "Star Wars: Clone Wars" is that those little 20-someodd animated shorts are more entertaining than the Episode 1-3 films combined. Just ask me how many times I've watched my Clone Wars DVD as opposed to the other three movies.

I wish to everything that is high and holy that Tartakovsky could be given the same liberties with our beloved Transformers. While I know that myself and many other fans would have our own set of complaints about it, I have no doubts that it would be one helluva entertaining show.

Definitely wasn't purposeful, and "neglect" makes me look bad so let's call it an oversight.

I absolutely loathed KND when it first aired, mainly because it won its own series based on an online poll over a much more entertaining and better-animated superhero spoof which I loved. But granted, it was primarily kids who were voting, and adults were decidedly in the minority. And the superhero spoof (which I can't recall at the moment) was definitely more skewed to adults than kids.

And then I tuned it at random one day and saw the debut of the KND villain Count Spankulot and laughed my @$$ off. And by that time, the show had come into its own and had developed more character and had its own style and even the production quality seemed to have improved. I can't say I'm a "fan" but it's definitely an entertaining show.

12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

so you are saying, it must be japanese anime in order to be beautiful?

13. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    I don't like Clone Wars, just too stylised for my tastes. Plus (and I know its partly to do with the episodes originally being only a few minutes long) it had Jedis acting like dudes from Dragon Ball, a series I can't stand.

Either way, I look forward to better writing than what we've recieved over the past few years.

14. Emperor Prime

Emperor Prime Banned

You obviously understand nothing when it comes to animation, as proven by the general crap rhetoric you just spewed out for an opinion. Which, it being an opinion is fine, even if it's wrong.

Animation like Samurai Jack, Clone wars, Teen Titans, Duck Dodgers, etc.... Takes a great deal of work. It is fine for you to dislike it, but to call it crap low rate animation proves only one thing, you don't know wtf you are talking about.

15. Emperor Prime

Emperor Prime Banned

Actually, the series had Jedi's acting as Jedi's and not some floptastic turds like they were in the movies. The novels, comics, video games, and table top RPG's all have Jedi's act like they did in Clone Wars. The movies were the ones that screwed it up.

16. flamepanther

Seeing as the movies are absolute canon, and everything else is secondary Expanded Universe canon, the movies cannot get the Jedi "wrong". You may not like Lucas' version, but it's not wrong.

17. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

anime is a style, and it's not the only way to animate good, i mean, beast wars was made in canada... do you concider that ugly? or how about half of the animation in all 6 star wars movies *reissues included* with the cgi? all that stuff is most likely done in canada, or europe, but not japan.

or Oban star racers, was produced by a french company.

just because it's not anime, does not mean it can not be beautiful. and just because it's anime, does not mean it's beautiful.

animation, does not need to be realistic or anything at all. just needs to be uniquely to it's self to me.

and i remind all, that justice league was produced by cartoon network. and so was the last season of reboot, and the second season of big o.

just because a cartoon, is low budget animation, does not mean it does not still take a lot of work, from very hard working, talented artists and animators.

anime or not, heroes can be great, or bad.

and gonzo, has made lots of improvements with their animation styles lately. from armada, to energon, to cybertron, it keeps getting better and better with each show. so, with that, i can safely assume the same will be for heroes.

i have high hopes and faith in hasbro.

18. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TF: Heroes is going to be a serialized drama about a bunch of cars who suddenly discover that they have powers beyond those of mortal cars, and that they're all somehow connected to one another. It will be advertised with the tagline "Save the Caravan, save the world."

Edit: He tell me!

19. Emperor Prime

Emperor Prime Banned

I never said wrong, I said screwed it up and yes, Clone Wars IS official canon, look it up.

20. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    I like my Jedi to be merely better than the average person of that race, rather than super heroes with super magic powers, thank you.